Fandom Forums - View Single Post - The Longest Thread Ever v28
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #15799
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,724 Times in 3,845 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Longest Thread Ever v28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I am all for having a strong and well-equipped military as long as it is funded intelligently and efficiently. The fact that America spent more on air conditioning for troops in Afghanistan than they did on all of NASA the past few years is disgusting. As for education, I recently listened to an episode of NPR's Planet Money that summarized and explained two studies that found early childhood environment had a massive affect on everything from IQ to college graduation and teen pregnancy rates. It makes a convincing case for placing more emphasis on pre-school, which makes sense to me since more socially-adjusted kids make for more socially-adjusted teens and adults.
Agreed on all parts. As I said, I'm for the military. I'm just against this idea that we have to keep a military presence in every fucking country we've ever "visited", or that we have to intervene in regime affairs that have little to do with us. The amount of money we throw at the military is astounding. The Department of Defense spent over 7 times the combined spending of the Department of Education, NASA, and Housing and Urban Development last year. It's ridiculous.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Numinous (11-12-2012)