Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road
Re: Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
And that includes preventive measures against natural disasters. It may sound cold-hearted, but crying over debt due to natural disasters isn't above crying for any other kind of debt, considering Japan is a prime example of a country who does proper prevention and very rarely needs help to patch things up. On the other hand, states like Alabama and Mississippi could do WAY better at hurricane damage prevention, like promoting better house foundations, city planning to better manage flood damage, make state-wise plans to make people live in the interior while having a job in the coastline by making highroads and public transportation more dynamic, among many other possible measures. So yes, even if the debt was from natural disasters, it could be managed in the same manner other states manage traffic jams.
It's not cold-hearted at all. However relating traffic jams to natural disasters as such is a bit inept. In a perfect world, I know of several civil engineers that have met with local and state gov't officials in both LA and MS about the measures that you hinted at as far as possible preventive measures for hurricanes go. The big problem there is insurance and costs. A small (land-wise) country like Japan is able to afford those measures because of their dense population. States like AL, LA, and MS are not that heavily populated, not even on the coast.

Quote:
You sound like only industry, real estate and intelligence exist. What about agriculture, tourism, restaurants and local commerce, are they not tangible to the layman? And they do not belong to the industry sector, but to the agriculture and services sectors. Again, the problem with the US isn't in what sector it's betting on, it's the lack of significant investment and savings by the government.
These factors were a huge part of my response, which in summing it up... somewhere between the Korean and Vietnam wars, the U.S. stopped relying so heavily on agriculture as an export, which is what made ag such a viable commodity towards the GDP before then. I'm guessing that just like manufacturing, cheaper labor is where the farms went. Tourism has been on the decline prior to 9/11 for obvious reasons as well as economic reasons (restaurants and local commerce fall under tourism in the tax code).

Quote:
While that's true, the problem is bigger than that: the US relies far too much on the consumption revenue (30% vs China's 15%). And the stock markets are living proof of how stable the consumption revenue is, which is not much. I'm not saying that the US should penalize their capitalist habits, only that it should make sure that more stable incomes for GDP are prioritized.
Completely agree on the bolded. It's safe money. Among investors, during the time leading up to the TARP funds, many investors were looking to close out their low risk investments and put it in low-return savings and CDs (I worked for a military bank). They were leaving returns of 4-6% to accounts that got only 2% APY, just to eliminate the risk. I remember one guy (retired colonel... colonels are always the worst attitude guys) cussing me out because of the low interest rate, but when I told him there was no way he would lose any money, he finally shut up. The guy opened up about 20 CDs that day totaling almost 1.5 million.

Anyways, my point is, tangibleness has a strong correlation to stability. Tourism is tangible, but not as strong as manufacturing and distribution.

And also, to clear this up for anyone, intellectual property has proven to be wonderful and magnificent on the micro level when in regards to a nation's GDP. Not so much on the macro level.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote