Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
It's not cold-hearted at all. However relating traffic jams to natural disasters as such is a bit inept. In a perfect world, I know of several civil engineers that have met with local and state gov't officials in both LA and MS about the measures that you hinted at as far as possible preventive measures for hurricanes go. The big problem there is insurance and costs. A small (land-wise) country like Japan is able to afford those measures because of their dense population. States like AL, LA, and MS are not that heavily populated, not even on the coast.
Considering 150 billions went to patch up the effects of Katrina, I seriously doubt the architectonic shifts needed to reduce future damage would amount such a number. I'd be happy if, at least, they stopped making wood houses on an hurricane-prone zone, it's just common sense that a stone & metal house might be pricier but isn't as expensive as building the same house every big hurricane.

Quote:
These factors were a huge part of my response, which in summing it up... somewhere between the Korean and Vietnam wars, the U.S. stopped relying so heavily on agriculture as an export, which is what made ag such a viable commodity towards the GDP before then. I'm guessing that just like manufacturing, cheaper labor is where the farms went. Tourism has been on the decline prior to 9/11 for obvious reasons as well as economic reasons (restaurants and local commerce fall under tourism in the tax code).
So US should just give up on those things because they're not what they used to be? By the contrary, if the government invests in order for those sectors to flourish, they'll produce as much revenue as an investment solely on industry. This shouldn't be "or industry or agriculture/tourism/etc", it should be "industry and agriculture/tourism/etc".

And, by the way, I didn't know tourism included restaurants and local commerce in tax revenue in the US. In my country they don't.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Playa (11-13-2012)