Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road
Re: Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
@ j_H: You keep saying "in the perfect world", I think you're missing the full extent of the point I'm trying to drive across. What I said pertains to the hypothetical situation the US stops its current economical behavior and adopts a new, revolutionary one, so it's obvious the trends you talked about will continue and the things I say aren't executable if you only take into account what the US has been and still is.

Also, I can't really speak of welfare on the US since I'm not in the know on that area, but the commentaries against it I've found from Republicans are simply atrocious and anti-democratic. Like saying "I shouldn't pay for others' healthcare/food stamps/etc." when talking about taxes which by design are to pay services for all to use, it simply baffles me how some people are so willing to pull the rug under other people due to foolish pride.
I keep saying "in a perfect world", because both sides of the political aisle in the U.S. are screwing over the layman. I, along with just about every red-blooded American believes there needs to be some form of healthcare reform in the U.S. I just strongly believe that Obama's version isn't the way of going about it. There are nurses already being laid off at doctors' clinics. Several doctors at smaller hospitals are quitting. Numerous employers are already scaling back on employer-covered insurance policies. His version of the reform is furthering the cause/reasoning as to why reform was needed in the first place. The only people who are going to come out on top in the end is the health insurance companies.

There are several people who are against contributing to a program that helps even those that need it. Most people, like myself, don't want to contribute to a program that is severely abused by crooks and thiefs. I'm all for helping out a single parent, or a low-income family that literally scrapes by to pay the bills, by contributing to a food stamps program. That was me and my family several months ago. It got to the point of either falling behind by two months on all of our bills, or putting food on the table. My wife and I applied for food stamps, we were on the program for about 6 months, and we're off the program now. We don't need it anymore.

But back to the perfect world issue, everywhere in the world there are crooks. Crooks in the upper echelon of society, all the way to the bottom shelf so to speak. After all of our discussions, I'm sure you know where my political tendencies lie, but I'm one of the apparent minority that understands balance is needed in the real world. I'm all for off-shore drilling for oil, but I understand the concerns over certain eco-systems... because I love food.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote