Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Japan's last ninja ever?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Japan's last ninja ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
I've never really had any respect for ninjutsu as a legitimate martial arts form. To me it's always come across as something you learn purely as a technical art, as opposed to a practical one. I've always thought it would be cool if someone were to modernize it with the latest technology to make it all badass. Like some sort of ninja outfit that had a cooling/heating system built in to it that makes you invisible to infrared. Night vision goggles with built in magnification abilities. Shoes with advanced springs/shock absorbers to help move quieter and with more energy in each step or jump.etc..... I dunno, maybe something like a cross between Master Miyagi and Sam Fisher. I could respect that.
It's called DARPA. Or at least it would be, if they could get the funding they wanted. Fortunately the US government realizes that there are more important things to be done for much better reasons that "dude guys, hey, you know what would be super cool?"

You seem to misunderstand what Ninjutsu actually was; it was very similar to other martial arts in Japan at the time. In fact, it didn't really have its own style of fighting at all. A ninja's first course of action during a confrontation was escape, so just it borrowed heavily from existing arts and changed very little in the process when it came to actual conflict.

It was more concerned with covert skills, which almost never involved sneaking around at night in a black suit. First, because a dark blue would have been used since black is unnatural; second, because most espionage/infiltration was done just like it is today (ie. getting someone on the inside or just threatening/paying off someone already there).
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote