Fandom Forums - View Single Post - School shooting in CT
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough
Re: School shooting in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I don't think it's fair to say he acted like he was going to cry, I'm sure he was legitimately on the verge of tears.
Then that just adds to the hypocrisy of it all. I really don't think he was affected by this, to the degree he showed to the public. Why would he be? Like I said, he's personally responsible for authorizing multiple drone strikes in the middle east, killing thousands. I'm betting he doesn't cry himself to sleep at night.

Quote:
I agree with SD in that world wide deaths aren't a relevant comparison. No matter how little this tragedy actually affects the average American's life, it is arguably far more significant than child death in Africa. But I also don't think domestic child deaths are all that relevant either, because most of them simply don't compare in numbers and perceived preventability.
I disagree. World wide deaths should be considered relevant. We're all human and we all share this planet. Just because somebody was lucky enough to happen to be born on one side of the planet instead of the other, doesn't make them any more important at all. The bolded, to me, seems like a really twisted way of thinking. It seems the media happens to cater to that mind set though.

Quote:
So for all that, I can agree that it warrants a substantial amount of media attention. However, just because it warrants it doesn't mean it should get it. I think there is far too much of a focus on the killer, and am certain that shootings like these would be far less frequent if the media focused solely on the victims. If they gave absolutely no information about the killers there would be no unintentional glamourization of them. No photos, no names, no personal details; maybe even don't mention a shooter at all and simply imply it. There may only be one person who won't bother with a mass shooting if they won't become infamous, but even one is worth it.

Also, the media coverage focuses too much on death. Tragedies like this, sad as they are, should be used as a celebration of life and a reminder of why it is precious. A focus on death desensitizes people, focusing on life and remembering the victims re-enforces the importance of, and a respect for, life.
I do agree with this. Reminds me of this quote I read on facebook(maybe this is the same Jekyl?)

Quote:
"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why. It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody."

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote