Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Tactical Response CEO Threatens To 'Start Killing People' Over Possible Obama Gun Me
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tactical Response CEO Threatens To 'Start Killing People' Over Possible Obama Gu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
3. If the gov't does manage to pass legislation banning the majority of guns, all chaos will break loose. There will be a civil war... but it will be the U.S. vs. various factions.
Will be people be uncomfortable? Yes. Will there be a Civil War? No. Why? Most Americans don't really give a shit one way or another about banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. It's just like any other politically-charged issue in this country, where we only hear the most vocal minority (italicized for emphasis) regarding a topic. For example, the majority of Americans are actually in favor of same-sex marriage. However, anyone who pays attention to the news (especially if foreigners are looking at us) will notice that there are more articles and pieces about same-sex marriage protests and anti-gay sentiment than there are of people saying, "Sure, let the gays marry and/or adopt." So just because the NRA and select lunatics individuals or groups are up-in-arms about the whole thing doesn't mean that everyone is rallying to protect guns.

In fact, a lot of people around the country are turning in their guns, even ones that are legal to own and wouldn't be banned following any of the Obama administration's proposals. But you are right in that there will be probably be violent retaliations to strengthening gun control laws. It just won't result in a severe schism of the country, just pockets of resistance, particularly in the South and Midwest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Humm, no, it'd be a bunch of disorganized fools vs the US military and we all know who would win.
Technically, it wouldn't be the main American military, since our Constitution bans the use of the Army, Air Force, Navy, or CIA from operating on domestic soil. It'd still be local police, FBI, and the National Guard, but still. BUT STILL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
I thought you would know that, seeing how you know so damn much about the U.S. and it's government and policies. You're just a liberal tool, that is all you are. Hell, I know dozens of Democrats that I call friends that don't want the government touching this issue. Big difference between you and them, they are U.S. citizens. You're not.
I'm an Independent who thinks that there should be more government involvement in gun regulation/control. But that doesn't mean I'm afraid of guns, nor does it mean that I don't want to own assault rifles and high-capacity magazines at some point in my life (because fuck yeah, BARs and 100+ round magazines!). Just because he's not an American doesn't mean he is somehow less knowledgeable about the topic. Hell, we're on a forum about Japanese comics, but we're all in the loop about Japanese culture and manga/anime norms. It's actually a good thing to get an outside perspective precisely because it allows Americans to pull our heads out of our collective ass and rethink our positions on a topic.

The only reason people say enforcement is better than more laws is because there's a lack of police officers, ATF agents, etc. If we wanted better enforcement, then these agencies should be hiring more people. As the case is, many of these agencies aren't, at least where I live. Also, enforcing the rather convoluted state laws drains resources. We don't have dozens of police officers patrolling gun auctions and conventions, which is where most of mainstream illegal purchases occur (black market is a whole 'nother issue). We should, but we don't have the manpower or the resources. Federal laws will make it easier to enforce because now all of our states' police agencies will be on the same page regarding the issues.