Fandom Forums - View Single Post - SSJ God form.
Thread: SSJ God form.
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road
Re: SSJ God form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoro View Post
I doubt DB would do well in today's anime/manga environment. The nostalgia and fame to its name would carry it for a little while, but in contrast to what is available today the DB verse is incredibly linear, and pretty much dead in the water when it comes to possible ways to innovate it.
I would agree with you... but look at Naruto and Bleach. Comics/mangas that have an intriguing storyline that aren't linear and/or a clusterf#ck is rare, and those that do fit this criteria aren't well known or published. Look at FMA: Brotherhood and One Piece compared to Naruto, Bleach, and Dragonball. And this is only in the action-sphere so-to-speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous
I'm highly skeptical of such being truth because:

1. If a renowned mangaka was trying to buy Dragonball from Toriyama, everyone and their mothers would know about it. Yoshiyuki Tomino sold Gundam back in the day and none of it was in the shadows.
2. Japanese authors, be them of manga or games, usually don't give a flying fuck about US/Europe. Various artists, including Kishimoto, have said they had no idea of their success beyond the islands of the rising sun, so saying that a Japanese mangaka is intending to do a manga that does not cater at all Japan is kind of preposterous.

And, in my opinion, if a new Dragonball storyline was to be produced with the western audiences in mind, I'd be utterly terrified. The amount of franchise pieces from Japan with such premise in mind and failed horribly at it outnumber by far the ones that succeeded.
I understand everything you're saying... but there is an old saying.... $$$$ talks and bullsh!t walks. When Dragonball Z was being played on Cartoon Network's Toonami back in the day, the Dragonball Z franchise pulled in roughly 1/2 of a $100 Million. This was back in the late 90's, early 00's. On an annual basis, the Naruto franchise makes well more than $100 Million now a days per year. And this is in the U.S. alone.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote