Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Debate: Speed Vs Power/Strength...
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #151
liondemon
Missing Kage

liondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of lightliondemon is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Debate: Speed Vs Power/Strength...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
There's a blatant and vast difference in "being raised in" and "choosing" any religion. I was raised in the Christian faith. I also decided to choose that faith as my own. If I wanted to, I could have walked away. And for your last sentence, it rings hollow with the majority of self-proclaimed "raised Catholics" across the world.

Edit:
I chose Christianity because of several near-death experiences in my... young adult days, some self-inflicted, others wrong place, wrong time. Having a person hold a gun to your face, pull the trigger, and the gun jam... yeah, that trumps just about any thing that I was raised on.
Guns jam all the time. It has everything to do with the maintenance and condition of the gun, not miracles. Now if you said that you were shot in the face, that would be more reason to have faith, in my personal opinion. However, people get shot in the face and live too, and that's not a miracle neither. I get that your personal experiences have influenced you, but I'm sure nothing that has happened to you has not happened to others who also survived.

My point is, logically speaking, there is no reason to believe that God protected you or anyone else from something from which dictators and serial killers and other immoral people are sometimes protected as well. If you said that you had your head chopped off and then replaced and was alive, I would say it was a miracle and that God did it. Anything less than that is just chance, probability, likelihood, luck, and all that other good stuff.

I have personally experienced two supernatural events that cannot be explained logically. I swear that a spirit is the only explanation, yet I still do not believe that any God was behind it or related to it in any way. I just list it under the unexplainable.

I once knew a guy who was driving a car and hit a deer. The car was totaled, and the doctor said that it was a miracle that he was alive. This guy was not even seriously injured, and surviving this car accident assured him that there was a God and that God saved him, as if good and bad men and women do not hit deer and survive car accidents all the time. Shit happens sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.

Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.
Confucius

There is a wisdom of the head and a wisdom of the heart.
Charles Dickens

To be satisfied with a little is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not.
Akhenaton

It is the nature of the wise to resist pleasures, but the foolish to be a slave to them.
Epictetus

It requires wisdom to understand wisdom: the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.
Walter Lippmann

Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment.
Lao Tzu

It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life.
Elizabeth Kenny
liondemon is offline   Reply With Quote