Fandom Forums - View Single Post - Freedom of speech: Can it survive?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 AM   #70
Miburo

Re: Freedom of speech: Can it survive?

Quote:
in this country you CAN say WHATEVER you WANT. BUT it DOES NOT mean you WILL NOT or CAN NOT be punished in PUBLIC esates for what you say. For example it is not illegal for you to say "Fuck You" to your teacher. HOWEVER it is also not illegal for your teacher to punish you for saying it.
Corbenk already covered this pretty well. You can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't impeed on anyone else's rights. Also, a public school can still have it's own rules in addition to current laws, much like a web forum. That's why I would always get suspended for fighting, even though it was usually in self-defence. The school has a no fighting under any circumstance policy, and I have to obey their rules. I can't get arrested for it though, just as you can't get arrested for saying 'fuck you' to a teacher. You'll only get in trouble with the school, not the law. Don't get the two confused.
Quote:
Now, looking at this from a broad point of view, as more expression than actual words. This rite is VERY supressed and taken away. Many of you knwo i have a band, ALL of us (aside from myself becouse im homeschooled) were told they had to have there haircut BEFORE coming to school. Becouse we all have long hair. This example brings me to this point, the 'Rules" of many public school systems are disregarding Our Rites as american citizens becouse it states, we cannot wear certain things, we cannot have our hair certain ways and lengths, and we are not allowed to have certain things on our bodies. So in this way, no, it cannot survive, becouse its already been disregarded and the government is not willing to go against it.
Again, that's the school's rule. It's got nothing to do with the law. If you choose not to follow the rules then you can find a private school to go to, or get homeschooled. Don't even bother mentioning something like "but my parents pay taxes that support the school." That just means that your parents have every right to address their concerns with these policys. They can voice their concerns, but that's it. You can't do whatever you want in a place that has a responsibility to look after and take care of children. They've got every right to make whatever rules they want. Again, it has absolutely nothing to do with the law.

Quote:
Im done. GG to any who disagree. I win.
Lol.