The legalization of drugs is a complicated issue. To make my post simple for me to write (cause i am lazy) I will list out what i consider to be a pro and a con for drug legalization.
1. Drug's arn't actually as bad for you as many antidrug adviocates will tell you, and some of the reports used actually have some issues with them (not sure which, but i would try to find the most reacent data on it)
2. There is a personal freedom issue; It is your life you should be allowed to do what you want with it.
3. Banning drugs doesn't work, the prohibition in the 20's made things much worse, and the war against drugs is gettin way out of hand, and ending that war would save lives. (there is an episode of a show called bullshit which is a good thing to watch on this, they actually take it seriously and cite their data, I recomend you watch it. The filename i got was "Penn and Teller Bullshit - 0204 - War on Drugs.avi")
4. If drugs were legalized they could also be regulated by the FDA and be made MUCH safer.
5. If one uses them responsibely they can be pretty safe.
6. It won't be as "cool" to do drugs and prehaps more people will look at the decision logically.
1. Some drugs have negative long term side effects that many people don't realize.
2. While high people can and probably will do things that arn't safe, like driving (already a big issue with alcohol).
3. If you overdose or commit a crime because your are high I don't want to pay for it, but currently may tax money pays for the ambulance that comes and saves your life.
4. Some people will abuse drugs. America is already full of fat people who are additiced to shit like fast food, and drugs are alot more additicting than food.. (I don't eat fast food).
5. Probably related to number 2, but it could raise crime rates of high individuals, although in sum it will probably lower crime rates due to the lack of drug-trafficing crimes.
I guess in sum I feel as though drugs should be legalized (not simply because I have 6 items in that category), although if we were to do it we would have to do it carefully and put in the necessary systems to help protect people.