Paganism - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here that does not fit the other categories.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
ThyMaiden
I like it dirty 24/7

Location: At the gates of Midian... yes thats in greenland... lol
ThyMaiden is an unknown quantity at this point
Paganism

I want to know your opinion about paganism, term used by christians to refer to anyone who aint part of the christian religion, jewish or islamic.And the taboo people have with witchcraft and other religions that arent christian. I think calling someone pagan is a contemptuous term, also the fact christians belive to be superior to other non-christians (even if they deny it they do) and the only way to be as good as them is becoming christians. Personaly I'm agnostic, and I belive in diferent philosophies of diferent religions and such.

Last edited by ThyMaiden; 03-10-2008 at 06:20 PM.
ThyMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of
Re: Paganism

Well, I have a strange outlook on my religion, a mix of Lutheran, Hindu and Taoism (Weird combo, I know). Personally, I'm totally cool with Pagans. They're, for the most part, cooler than stuffy Christians who are all hardcore. I'm all for them, afterall, I live in a country where we have freedom of religion, so exercise it, Pagans, exercise it.

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

I for one am a Christian and have never used the term, Pagan, in my life. I personally don't see the need for the word, but usually some Christians refer to pagans as people who participate in witchcraft and such. Biblically, Christians shouldn't be putting themselves before other people because the only thing that saved us from sin was God, not us. So technically if we put anything above anything we believe our God is the true God, which any RELIGON technically says that so it isn't like Christians are the only people who do this.

I for one incorporate many things from other religions into my Christianity. I meditate, which I don't think is really just a Buddhist thing, but some people do. I read the Koran, and am looking to read the Vedas and other religious scriptures. I believe there is a lot of truth in other religions because I feel like God has communicated with many people outside of the Judeo-Christian religions.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
ThyMaiden
I like it dirty 24/7

Location: At the gates of Midian... yes thats in greenland... lol
ThyMaiden is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckboy View Post
I for one am a Christian and have never used the term, Pagan, in my life. I personally don't see the need for the word, but usually some Christians refer to pagans as people who participate in witchcraft and such. Biblically, Christians shouldn't be putting themselves before other people because the only thing that saved us from sin was God, not us. So technically if we put anything above anything we believe our God is the true God, which any RELIGON technically says that so it isn't like Christians are the only people who do this.

I for one incorporate many things from other religions into my Christianity. I meditate, which I don't think is really just a Buddhist thing, but some people do. I read the Koran, and am looking to read the Vedas and other religious scriptures. I believe there is a lot of truth in other religions because I feel like God has communicated with many people outside of the Judeo-Christian religions.
yeah but thats why u r a mature christian. Most christians judge others. I was raised on the christian religion and all I saw was ppl judging others. I know is not biblical but they do.
ThyMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
jimmer45khb
Monkey D Luffy

jimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud ofjimmer45khb has much to be proud of

I am a Christian I have nothing against it the truth about Paganism is that they believe that there is spirits in every thing that grow there gods are the wind earth water clouds so on and so on so I say go for it if it makes you fell good

CO-Owner of The Nine-Tailed Fox Demons fc
One Piece FC
Final Fantasy FC
Proud Owner of
Kage FC
Member of

Last edited by jimmer45khb; 03-10-2008 at 07:00 PM.
jimmer45khb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
narutoroxmysox1223
Genin

narutoroxmysox1223 is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually in the bible when they are referring to pagans, they refer to the romans and greeks it is used more back then

narutoroxmysox1223's PokePet

milo the level 43 Quilava!
narutoroxmysox1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
sasuke_power
The Reaper

sasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to beholdsasuke_power is a splendid one to behold

We'll to tell you the truth, although I am catholic, im neutral on the matter of other religions. However for the sake of adding to this debate I will say that I myself don't like the idea of paganism because it denys one to have/incorporate ideas from another religion, which one should be able to do. I also believe in their being in one universal god, that most of our religions in some way are speaking of the same god, but in different perspectives. Now seeing that monotheism seems to be the excepted idea for most religions it supports my idea, however polythiestic religions, which are rare well idk about. Anyway this is how I think on the matter IF what your saying is the actual definition of paganism, however I remember reading something about paganism having to deal more with witchcraft and the supernatural (ie wikka), and my ideas on that are let them do what they want, ites their lives their religions however just don't try to associate me in that crap.

SP aka Kio
日本国(Japan)
<

Brawl Code: ADD ME!
3437-7578-6300
sasuke_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
dron2124
Chuunin

dron2124 is a jewel in the roughdron2124 is a jewel in the roughdron2124 is a jewel in the roughdron2124 is a jewel in the roughdron2124 is a jewel in the roughdron2124 is a jewel in the rough

religion is a crazy thing to me i don't belong to no religion but i do belive in a higher power its jsut that the bibal has been tranflated so many times and the preist of the vadacan put in what they wanted to put into it and take out what they want.

proud member of:
dron2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

This isn't a debate. Moved to Chit-Chat.

Christians don't refer to any other religion as paganism. Hedonism maybe. Some might look on other religions with the kind of disgust that you're thinking of but you're the one that has to be careful. Don't refer to people as "mature Christians" or lump all Christians together for any reason. You'll sound just as ignorant as those people that you're talking about in your main post.

They're not "ignorant Christians." They're just rednecks.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Seal_master
Local Necromancer

Seal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really niceSeal_master is just really nice

personally, i didn't ever truly know what pagan ment, cause i never herd anyone truly say it before
but as to other religion, i say, to each his or her own, really like everyone else i dont care about relgion, as long as you dont try to convert me or anything like that i say have at it
and i was born and partialy raised catholic, but now that im older and can look at things outside relgion and home I can't realy understand why some people take the fact someone not being christian so seriously, I belive that all relgion have their own section of heaven and hell, or however they refer to those places, and that if they are good in their relgion and do what they are suppose to, then they get rewarded adn go to their form of heaven, or if they're bad, their hell

relgion is just basically hope, people need to stop takeing it so seriously, but sadly this will never happen

Chibi Thread Updated: 3/13/08

CO_OWNER of the RP FC
Evil Fc

thankies Kina X3
by MeteoraTC
Member of:
Fable Fc
Naruto RPG fc
Owner of:
Blood+ Fc
Seal_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Craigkage
Jounin

Craigkage has a spectacular aura aboutCraigkage has a spectacular aura aboutCraigkage has a spectacular aura aboutCraigkage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenofkunais17 View Post
I want to know your opinion about paganism, term used by christians to refer to anyone who aint part of the christian religion, jewish or islamic.And the taboo people have with witchcraft and other religions that arent christian. I think calling someone pagan is a contemptuous term, also the fact christians belive to be superior to other non-christians (even if they deny it they do) and the only way to be as good as them is becoming christians. Personaly I'm agnostic, and I belive in diferent philosophies of diferent religions and such.
Its not about superiority or at least it shouldn't be. Most Christians don't believe they are 'better' than other people but believe they are 'right' about what to believe.... That's not in itself arrogance. Many people believe they are right about a whole load of things... If you've met arrogant Christians then that's a real shame

Craigkage is now the proud owner of a Dragon Box
Craigkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #12
Miburo

^Unwarrantably assuming your beliefs are correct when other people's beliefs are equally probable (Or, in some cases, much more probable), especially in a scenario like this where not everyone can be right, is pretty damn arrogant. Just sayin'
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Craigkage
Jounin

Craigkage has a spectacular aura aboutCraigkage has a spectacular aura aboutCraigkage has a spectacular aura aboutCraigkage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
^Unwarrantably assuming your beliefs are correct when other people's beliefs are equally probable (Or, in some cases, much more probable), especially in a scenario like this where not everyone can be right, is pretty damn arrogant. Just sayin'
Thanks for the philosophy trip but you're not right. Atheists believe that they are right... Arrogance? No just certainty. Same with all those who practice a religion... Certainty/Faith/Belief/confident assurance/experience etc. That's just how the world is. Yes some flaunt it and make a mockery of others' beliefs but that is a different matter. Its called agree to disagree. Just sayin'

Craigkage is now the proud owner of a Dragon Box
Craigkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Miburo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigkage View Post
Thanks for the philosophy trip but you're not right. Atheists believe that they are right... Arrogance? No just certainty. Same with all those who practice a religion... Certainty/Faith/Belief/confident assurance/experience etc. That's just how the world is. Yes some flaunt it and make a mockery of others' beliefs but that is a different matter. Its called agree to disagree. Just sayin'
How am I not right? You can be certain and confident and still fall under the definition of arrogant as well. It's not one or the other. If you believe there is one particular God (Your God) with complete certainty then that means you also believe that anyone who thinks otherwise must be incorrect. How is being certain that your belief is right when said belief implies that everyone else's beliefs that conflict with yours must be wrong, despite the fact that they're all equally probable, not arrogant? You don't have to actually come out and say "LOL lyke mai God is teh 1 true God" to be considered arrogant, especially if the belief system you're subscribing to says just that anyway.

Also, an atheist belief doesn't necessarily imply any certainty. Many atheists believe that since there is no evidence supporting the claims of any god's existence there is simply no reason to believe one exists. Just like you probably don't believe every baseless claim someone says to you. That's just being logical. Not all atheists believe there definitely isn't a god or anything.

Besides, what's wrong with being a little arrogant? I never once implied it was a bad thing, did I? So there really wasn't any need for the cocky mocking shit, slick. ; )
Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

I am Christian. I don't refer to people as "pagan." I say "Non-Christian". Which is I guess the same meaning, from whatever way you want to look at it, and I don't really give a damn whether people prefer pagan or non-christian or some other term.
I am not really a Christian, since I don't really follow probably around half of the commandments and I could probably pass for a demon child if I really tried.

I don't think the use of the word pagan is wrong; but I also don't think it's used as much as it was in the days of Jesus or Moses, so I don't think too much of it. When the word pagan comes to mind, I would usually think an old, heavily religious man would be using this term. I don't think most people our own age, would use this term. It isn't exactly in a suitable place to be used in this century.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote