Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Sharingan Lord
I'm done. Byeeee.

Sharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud of
Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays?

Well, at school we watched this 10-minute daily news broadcast thing (Channel One) and on one certain day, they had this thing about "Christmas Being Under Seige for Christians" - when and where to use "Merry Christmas", and when not to.

Well, apparently, there's quite a dispute about this among certain stores. Several stores have been criticized for its employees welcoming customers with a "Merry Christmas!". Macy's was also condemned by critics because it lacked a Christmas theme in their advertisements. But when we went there last year, there was a guy in a Santa suit telling everyone who walked in "Merry Christmas!", I remember. I also read in this article that Lowe's put "Holiday Trees" up for sale outside of their stores, but inside, their trees were "Christmas trees".

What religion is offended by Christmas? I don't think that the fact that you don't celebrate Christmas doesn't mean you're offended by it. Much of the world, especially the United States, is Christian. There's been a lot of precautions concerning schools recently about Christmas references, but I don't think it was that important until this week.

Today, during StuCo, we were making plans for the dance in two weeks, when our adviser warned us to "Be sure not to have Christmas songs." We asked if the DJ could wear a Santa hat. He said no, because not everyone is Christian. This is very true - our school is very diverse, but who has ever been offended? We've had Muslims, Shintos, Buddhists, and Hindus at our schools, and much much more, but it wasn't until this year that they decided to, sort of, shun Christmas at school. I'm not Christian, but I haven't ever been offended by Christmas.

Committee chairs for the canned food drive also told us of the prize for winning team; they would get to see a movie. Our adviser, once again, reminded them the movie should not center around Christmas. In Honors Algebra, our teacher was talking about having a coloring thing near December. "But nothing Christmasy," she added.

So why is it that, two years ago, the dance in December was called the "Holiday Dance", but now, it's called the "Winter Dance"? Why is it that they put up the Christmas tree in sixth grade, but removed it last year in seventh?

Should we be this sensitive of other religions when speaking of Christmas? Should we shun "Merry Christmas!" and go along with "Happy Holidays!"? Honestly, I think not. In my case, where I am (USA), when we came here, we knew we'd be in for American holidays and customs that we would not be used to, but nonetheless we still carry on and keep the flow going.
Sharingan Lord is offline   Reply With Quote