Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Sharingan Lord
I'm done. Byeeee.

Sharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud of
Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays?

Well, at school we watched this 10-minute daily news broadcast thing (Channel One) and on one certain day, they had this thing about "Christmas Being Under Seige for Christians" - when and where to use "Merry Christmas", and when not to.

Well, apparently, there's quite a dispute about this among certain stores. Several stores have been criticized for its employees welcoming customers with a "Merry Christmas!". Macy's was also condemned by critics because it lacked a Christmas theme in their advertisements. But when we went there last year, there was a guy in a Santa suit telling everyone who walked in "Merry Christmas!", I remember. I also read in this article that Lowe's put "Holiday Trees" up for sale outside of their stores, but inside, their trees were "Christmas trees".

What religion is offended by Christmas? I don't think that the fact that you don't celebrate Christmas doesn't mean you're offended by it. Much of the world, especially the United States, is Christian. There's been a lot of precautions concerning schools recently about Christmas references, but I don't think it was that important until this week.

Today, during StuCo, we were making plans for the dance in two weeks, when our adviser warned us to "Be sure not to have Christmas songs." We asked if the DJ could wear a Santa hat. He said no, because not everyone is Christian. This is very true - our school is very diverse, but who has ever been offended? We've had Muslims, Shintos, Buddhists, and Hindus at our schools, and much much more, but it wasn't until this year that they decided to, sort of, shun Christmas at school. I'm not Christian, but I haven't ever been offended by Christmas.

Committee chairs for the canned food drive also told us of the prize for winning team; they would get to see a movie. Our adviser, once again, reminded them the movie should not center around Christmas. In Honors Algebra, our teacher was talking about having a coloring thing near December. "But nothing Christmasy," she added.

So why is it that, two years ago, the dance in December was called the "Holiday Dance", but now, it's called the "Winter Dance"? Why is it that they put up the Christmas tree in sixth grade, but removed it last year in seventh?

Should we be this sensitive of other religions when speaking of Christmas? Should we shun "Merry Christmas!" and go along with "Happy Holidays!"? Honestly, I think not. In my case, where I am (USA), when we came here, we knew we'd be in for American holidays and customs that we would not be used to, but nonetheless we still carry on and keep the flow going.
Sharingan Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays?

Christmas is a Christian holiday, so if you celebrate it then you better just take the Christian overtones with a grain of salt.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

I think I will just say whatever I want to say and when people criticize me for it I will tell them to go live in a totalitarian government where they can't say anything. Why can't I say something because people might get offended by it. The people that get offended are idiots anyways. They choose to look at the cup half-empty instead of looking at it both ways and closely observing.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Minamoto4444
Genin

Minamoto4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is fine either way and same as Redneckboy if your critisized for your beliefs its probally because the person doing it is part of the Cuban Government and/or they're a far left idiot

Last edited by Minamoto4444; 11-22-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Minamoto4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Narusasulover
Missing-Nin

Narusasulover is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minamoto4444 View Post
I think it is fine either way and same as Redneckboy if your critisized for your beliefs its probally because the person doing it is part of the Cuban Government and/or you're a far left idiot
Lolololololololol

I think it is dumb, but has its merit. Christmas is a christian holiday, it would be like if everyone started saying "happy hanuka", some one would mention that "HEY, IM NOT JEWISH!!!" and freak out. Just say happy holidays and avoid the problem. I know people should not be so sensitive to these things, but they are, accept it.
Narusasulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
gaarasandchick13
Jounin

gaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud ofgaarasandchick13 has much to be proud of

I kind of think of this as being really irrational. I really don't think that saying "merry christmas" is such a big deal. When my Jewish friends say "Happy Hanukkah" I don't give them a second glance, I just say "you too," even though I don't celebrate it. It's pretty much the same thing as saying "happy holidays", but people act as if it's an insult to their own religion. I think people just have to deal with it: that everyone isn't the same. Just because christmas is a very popular holiday (where I am) doesn't mean you have to separate them from yourself in a different group like they're an enemy or something stupid like that. (It's like vegans saying that commercials selling chicken are offensive to them.) I think people need to look on the bright side: they can still celebrate their own religion and holidays and aren't forced to practice something they don't believe in.
Freedom of speech and religion anyone?
gaarasandchick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
dfacto
Genin

dfacto is an unknown quantity at this point

Christmas is Christmas, and you say "Merry Christmas". It's a fine holiday tradition. I don't believe in Christ's divinity, let alone the assumption that he was actually born on Christmas (since it's converted Pagan winter solstice celebrations), but it doesn't matter. It's a time to celebrate, get time off of work/school, be with family and gorge on yummy food, and reflect on the nicer things in life. If you can't deal with that then you need to brush the sand out of your PC vagina.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
RNB
El Topo

RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narusasulover View Post
I think it is dumb, but has its merit. Christmas is a christian holiday, it would be like if everyone started saying "happy hanuka", some one would mention that "HEY, IM NOT JEWISH!!!" and freak out. Just say happy holidays and avoid the problem. I know people should not be so sensitive to these things, but they are, accept it.
If everyone started yelling that then we would just ignore them. I don't feel offended when those Jehovah Witnesses come up to my doorstep every morning, I either ignore them or make up a really funny excuse just for the lulz.

Don't listen to what I am saying if you don't like it. I hope we have enough control over our minds to be able to do that.

- Heraclitus
Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Narusasulover
Missing-Nin

You'd hope so, redneckboy, but you'd also hope people would have evolved past fighting and past believing the idea of some dead jewish zombie saving their lives, but, unfortunately, they have not.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Lightspeedlady
Academy Student

Lightspeedlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
Christmas is Christmas, and you say "Merry Christmas". It's a fine holiday tradition. I don't believe in Christ's divinity, let alone the assumption that he was actually born on Christmas (since it's converted Pagan winter solstice celebrations), but it doesn't matter. It's a time to celebrate, get time off of work/school, be with family and gorge on yummy food, and reflect on the nicer things in life. If you can't deal with that then you need to brush the sand out of your PC vagina.
^
I'm using that line....

Anyway, I hate all this PC, Liberalist bullshit.
If you're Christian, saying "Happy Christmas" is not a crime. It's the opposite. It's a kind person wishing you well. Christian holidays are often knocked down, as though they offend non- Christians. However, the other prominent and minor world religion don't get this treatment.

There's a general feeling in the world that Christian holidays are merely tolerated. But, conversely, we're taught to respect and honour other religions, accept that they're different (by we I do mean Christians, but also students in the school system etc.).

Also, people aren't happy these days unless they can find some afflicted group they can associate themselves with. So the people who pretend to be offended my Christmas are just more poor souls on the band wagon to the PC hell...

Extreme lefties can go lick Ann Coulter' s boots, for all I care. Just give me Christmas back.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Lightspeedlady
Academy Student

Lightspeedlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You'd hope so, redneckboy, but you'd also hope people would have evolved past fighting and past believing the idea of some dead jewish zombie saving their lives, but, unfortunately, they have not.
Now saying " Happy Christmas" is one thing, but that is just damn-right offensive.
You'd hope people would have a little more tact and perspective...
Old 11-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Sharingan Lord
I'm done. Byeeee.

Sharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud ofSharingan Lord has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeedlady View Post
If you're Christian, saying "Happy Christmas" is not a crime. It's the opposite. It's a kind person wishing you well. Christian holidays are often knocked down, as though they offend non- Christians. However, the other prominent and minor world religion don't get this treatment.
What religions are offended by Christmas, just out of curiousity? I thought that Jewish people celebrate St. Nicholas Day/Chanuka. Well, I don't celebrate anything around December, but I'm not offended by my friends who talk about Christmas all the time. It's just something we've grown used to over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeedlady
There's a general feeling in the world that Christian holidays are merely tolerated. But, conversely, we're taught to respect and honour other religions, accept that they're different (by we I do mean Christians, but also students in the school system etc.).
I do believe this is true. But there are some people that are really ethnocentric. Just the other day, some guy asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told him I didn't celebrate Christmas, and he said, "You Hindus are satanic." Now, when someone uses "weird", I can understand that, but I was really offended when he called my religion 'satanic' just because I didn't celebrate it. I mean, I still spread the cheer. I'm never offended by someone greeting me with "Merry Christmas!"
Sharingan Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Listen. When somebody kills somebody else then you are in different territory, but lingual offenses are just total bullshit.

- Heraclitus
Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
Narusasulover
Missing-Nin

I agree with you Redneckboy, I simply say happy holidays to avoid conflict. I mean, shit, I am not Christian, but I celebrate christmas, People are just prudes.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #15
mrpiimpnn
Sand God

mrpiimpnn will become famous soon enoughmrpiimpnn will become famous soon enoughmrpiimpnn will become famous soon enough

I believe it should be happy holidays even though I celebrate Christmas that may not be the ways of other people so I respect their religious beliefs and their holidays. So I say Happy Holidays to all of my friends not just Merry Christmas.
mrpiimpnn is offline   Reply With Quote