Beijing 2008 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of
Beijing 2008

(source: http://www.racefortibet.org/)
(-support a news section in NL!-)

This summer the Olympics are hosted in Beijing, China and they must be very proud, however, the citizens of Tibet and their supporters are not. During the occupation of Tibet, people have been silenced. Many of their temples have been destroyed and one of their most important figures was stolen away at the age of 6 (and hasn't been seen since). They're beaten and tortured for their protests. Discriminatory economic plans against Tibetans threaten their identity. In spite of all this, the games will go on.

(source: My local paper)
The spectators of the running of the torch who waited near San Fransisco Bay never got to see the torch. The sheer mass of protesters (Both Pro-China and Pro-Tibet) caused a change in the root of the runner. Instead of the bay, he was diverted to the airport where the Olympic flame was placed on a plane and whisked away without display.

Seems to be stirring a lot of buzz, huh?

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
Re: Beijing 2008

A lot of people, including certain presidential candidates, are really upset about China being able to host because of their human rights record. To an extent, I agree. However, the whole fucking point of the Olympics is to forget about bickering nations problems and just compete with the rest of the world. It's about the athletes and the human spirit. I hate to employ Godwin's Law here, but fucking Hitler hosted and everything turned out okay.

Hell, think of it as a chance to show up those Commie pinkos.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Nuerhachi Niru

^I agree.

I don't approve of Beijing hosting the Olympics either but what can you do about it? Putting out a flame sure as hell ain't gonna stop the beatings over in China. If anything, it'll cause more commotion.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

[I support a News Section!]
Although China hosting the Olympics might become a bit of an ordeal-- I don't think the Olympics should be involved at all with China's government and economical problems.
Indeed, the games will go on.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

Unless some Confucian extremists show up, strapped head to toe in the latest of bombing fashion, then there is nothing to worry about.

I'm actually thinking of catching this Olympic event, a lot of records are expected to be broken (including Micheal Johnson's longstanding 400 record).
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Sasame
Academy Student

Sasame has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Another dire factor is the important steps China needs to take to improve its air quality since air pollution in China is one of the worst in the world, and where athletes especially in endurance contests may fall sick due to lack of quality air, which would severly disrupt the Olympics since that is one of the most hottest issues facing China from every country participating around the world.

Fan Clubs (I Belong To):
Sasame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
kikuri
Genin

kikuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAztek View Post
A lot of people, including certain presidential candidates, are really upset about China being able to host because of their human rights record. To an extent, I agree. However, the whole fucking point of the Olympics is to forget about bickering nations problems and just compete with the rest of the world. It's about the athletes and the human spirit. I hate to employ Godwin's Law here, but fucking Hitler hosted and everything turned out okay.

Hell, think of it as a chance to show up those Commie pinkos.
i agree... let's do this for the sake of sportsmanship. at least that's one thing people around the world can enjoy.

but we also can't deny the politics in sports. it's as red taped as governments are. there's too many issues concerning china and the Olympics.

I just hope no unnecessary and extreme actions will follow.

♥Fan's Clubs♥

Member: Akatsuki FC
Petitioning: Team 7 FC ♥
♪♫Owner of the Vampire Knight FC♫♪
kikuri is offline   Reply With Quote