Nintendo Tells Little Girl "She's Fat"! - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil
Nintendo Tells Little Girl "She's Fat"!

Quote:
The Daily Mail is condemningvideo games again--and this time it's Nintendo that bears the brunt of its vocal indignation. Although the Wii and DS have been generally insulated from the usual haranguing of traditional video games in such sections of the British press because of their popularity among the elderly, women, and on cruises, family friendly Wii Fit has managed to incur the wrath of the tabloid.

The reason is that an unnamed 10-year-old girl from South East England was told by the game, during its Body Mass Index test, that she was "fat." (Wii Fit actually puts users into a variety of categories, the two heaviest of which are "overweight" and "obese.")

The stepfather of the girl, who didn't want to be named for her sake, said, "She is a perfectly healthy, 4-feet-9-inch-tall 10-year-old who swims, dances, and weighs only six stone. She is solidly built but not fat. She was devastated to be called fat and we had to work hard to convince her she isn't."

The paper then enlisted the opinion of Tam Fry, a spokesperson for the National Obesity Forum, who called for a ban on kids playing the game, presumably meaning she wanted to see it brandishing an 18 age gate sticker. She said, "I am absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat. A child's BMI can change every month and it is perfectly possible for a child to be stocky, yet still very fit. I would be very concerned if children were using this game and I believe it should carry a warning for parents."

However, Nintendo declined to entertain her suggestion, simply saying, "Wii Fit is still capable of measuring the BMI for people aged between two and 20 but the resulting figures may not be entirely accurate for younger age groups due to varying levels of development."
http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/news/sh...ewstop;title;1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shes-fat.html
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
catilena1890
I ran outta fucks to give

catilena1890 will become famous soon enoughcatilena1890 will become famous soon enough
Re: Nintendo Tells Little Girl "She's Fat"!

Wow, even video games are trying to make people aware of how fat they are, what has this world come to?

catilena1890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light

Seriously. WTF

A little girl is told she is "fat" and freaks.

Nearly ALL American's are overweight, even if just by
a few pounds.

If you're told you're "fat" that simply means, lose a little weight.

Not complain to Nintendo like a immature 5 year old.

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
goku100
I own j00!

goku100 will become famous soon enoughgoku100 will become famous soon enough

Heard about this a few weeks ago and the hidden message from nintendo is....

"Its not our fault that your fucking fat"

Don't you just love nintendo, i do <3

But the wii fit is quite fun, obviously i didnt use it to loose weight but for the heck of it. Shame on the girl though, i mean isnt it kinda obvious not to believe a game? use a god damn mirror to see how fat and ugly you are, surely the parents had enough sense but apparently not. If your daughter isn't fat, then why the hell should you be worried. People like this piss me off, blaming video games for everything..."omggg my son killed someone....i blame manhunt"

Its pretty much the parents fault for allowing their son/daughter to buy and play the games in their own home...take responsibility morons.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
hippiematt
Chuunin

hippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of light

Wait the game literally said she was "fat".
I do <3 nitendo.

Brawl

Mario Cart

hippiematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
goku100
I own j00!

goku100 will become famous soon enoughgoku100 will become famous soon enough

No the game doesnt use the word "fat", it says you are "overweight" which pretty much is telling you that you are fat.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Miburo

Fuck yeah, Goku.

Seriously, what kind of fail parents would get pissed about a videogame saying their kid is fat. It's not the videogames fault that they're all too stupid to know that BMI readings are subject to inaccuracies. Especially when it's done by, oh shit, a videogame. >.>

What's 'six stones' in real weight (lbs) anyway? XD
Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light

six stones = 84 pounds

1 Stone= 14 pounds

Got from google searching. ;D

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Miburo

Good job. /pets

4'9'' tall and 84lbs. Hmm, I dunno, would have to see pictures. Still, those BMIs should be taken with a grain of salt anyway. To get a semi-accurate test you need to do that one where they pinch different parts of your body (Can't remember the name of it now. >.<), and even that one is off by a bit most of the time.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
z3ro06
Genin

z3ro06 is an unknown quantity at this point

haha stupid "fat" girl.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
Gerrickax
Academy Student

Gerrickax is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally if i got told i was fat...i'd probably get up off meh fat arse and go outside to work out. We wonder why nowadays why kids are becoming obese at a younger age and blame everything else except for ourselves. If yer kid is a bit chunky, take his arse outsied to go play in the park or play ground and see it that little fooker don't loose that weight faster than a mofo.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough

lol fatty
Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Sevi
Toothpick

Sevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
She is solidly built but not fat. She was devastated to be called fat and we had to work hard to convince her she isn't.
Lol, excuses excuses.

Man, did she really take it that seriously? These people are just waiting to make stupid, silly arguments about pointless things.

The Wii Fit is badass.
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
akuryuken
Genin

akuryuken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku100 View Post
Heard about this a few weeks ago and the hidden message from nintendo is....

"Its not our fault that your fucking fat"

Don't you just love nintendo, i do <3

But the wii fit is quite fun, obviously i didnt use it to loose weight but for the heck of it. Shame on the girl though, i mean isnt it kinda obvious not to believe a game? use a god damn mirror to see how fat and ugly you are, surely the parents had enough sense but apparently not. If your daughter isn't fat, then why the hell should you be worried. People like this piss me off, blaming video games for everything..."omggg my son killed someone....i blame manhunt"

Its pretty much the parents fault for allowing their son/daughter to buy and play the games in their own home...take responsibility morons.
LOLS manhunt
akuryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
Greendayfan82905
Chuunin

Greendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to allGreendayfan82905 is a name known to all

I agree. If the girl's parents didn't want their daughter to be called fat, then they shouldn't let her do the Wii BMI test. Plus, if it was done by a video game, it wouldn't be that accurate.
Desori
redninja116

Awesome NL friends:

gaaraofthesand.1234
tenkaichymaster
Greendayfan82905 is offline   Reply With Quote