Teenager who called a cult 'a cult' vindicated. - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil
Teenager who called a cult 'a cult' vindicated.

its a scam then *gets arrested?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/20/1

Quote:
A teenager is facing prosecution for using the word "cult" to describe the Church of Scientology.

The unnamed 15-year-old was served the summons by City of London police when he took part in a peaceful demonstration opposite the London headquarters of the controversial religion.

Officers confiscated a placard with the word "cult" on it from the youth, who is under 18, and a case file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.

A date has not yet been set for him to appear in court.

The decision to issue the summons has angered human rights activists and support groups for the victims of cults.

The incident happened during a protest against the Church of Scientology on May 10. Demonstrators from the anti-Scientology group, Anonymous, who were outside the church's £23m headquarters near St Paul's cathedral, were banned by police from describing Scientology as a cult by police because it was "abusive and insulting".

Writing on an anti-Scientology website, the teenager facing court said: "I brought a sign to the May 10th protest that said: 'Scientology is not a religion, it is a dangerous cult.'

"'Within five minutes of arriving I was told by a member of the police that I was not allowed to use that word, and that the final decision would be made by the inspector."

[...]

The City of London police came under fire two years ago when it emerged that more than 20 officers, ranging from constable to chief superintendent, had accepted gifts worth thousands of pounds from the Church of Scientology.

The City of London Chief Superintendent, Kevin Hurley, praised Scientology for "raising the spiritual wealth of society" during the opening
of its headquarters in 2006.

Last year a video praising Scientology emerged featuring Ken Stewart, another of the City of London's chief superintendents, although he is not a member of the group.

And then...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...d=networkfront

The teenager wasn't taken to court. yay
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts
Re: Teenager who called a cult 'a cult' vindicated.

This is a bit foolish. "Cult" is merely a word-- I don't see why they got all offended. =/

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
OniKage
Shadow Demon

OniKage has a spectacular aura aboutOniKage has a spectacular aura aboutOniKage has a spectacular aura aboutOniKage has a spectacular aura about

it is maybe because it is a religion... for a religion, "cult" is a negative term. it means that the religion is secretly praising the Devil or some other evil god... the teenager may be arrested for libel...

I'm with the:

OniKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough

Apparently London anoners have been informed to call it a "colt" instead.

A young male horse. Sounds the same though. XD
Old 05-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKage View Post
it is maybe because it is a religion... for a religion, "cult" is a negative term. it means that the religion is secretly praising the Devil or some other evil god... the teenager may be arrested for libel...
That's not true at all.
A cult is merely a term used to describe a religion that is false.
For instance, if one is a Christian, they would believe that every other religion other than Christianity would be false. Those religions would then be called "cults".
Since I'm a Christian, I've known many at church who use this term to describe other religions.

Whether Satanism is a cult or not, a cult does not neccessarily worship the devil.

In the eyes of that teenager, he obviously thought that Scientology was a cult. Of course, this is his opinion-- And everyone is entitled to their own opnions.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potato View Post
Apparently London anoners have been informed to call it a "colt" instead.

A young male horse. Sounds the same though. XD
It justs like saying cult with a Scottish accent.
XD
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
UchihaTaijiya
sublimis ab unda

Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,248 Posts
UchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond reputeUchihaTaijiya has a reputation beyond repute

Wooooow. /facepalm.

And I am dreaming of them on the plains
Dirtying up their beds
Watching for some sign of rain to cool their hot heads

And how dare that you send me that card when I'm doing all that I can do
You are forcing me to remember when all I want is to just forget you

If the tiger shall protect her young then tell me how did you slip by
All my instincts have failed me for once
I must have somehow slept the whole night

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips and teeth sinking into heart

And how dare that you say you'll call
When you know I need some peace of mind
If you have to take sides with the animals
Won't you do it with one who is kind

And if the hawks in the trees need the dead
If you're living you don't stand a chance
For a time though you share the same bed
There are only two ends to this dance

You can flee with your wounds just in time or lie there as he feeds
Watching yourself ripped to shreds and laughing as you bleed

So for those of you falling in love keep it kind
Keep it good
Keep it right
Throw yourself in the midst of danger but keep one eye open at night

UchihaTaijiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Sevi
Toothpick

Sevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to behold

I didn't even though that was possible. You can get prosecuted for using a word?

I don't know anything about English la but. is there freedom of speech over there?
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
UltimateChaos
AKA: Chaos

UltimateChaos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevi View Post
I didn't even though that was possible. You can get prosecuted for using a word?

I don't know anything about English la but. is there freedom of speech over there?
Yeah there is freedom of speech but it is limited by libel and the endangerment of others. In that case they probably tried to say it was libel. Although the charges were dropped the Church of Scientology can still sue in civil court.
UltimateChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Xicidal
Chuunin

Xicidal will become famous soon enoughXicidal will become famous soon enoughXicidal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKage View Post
That's a load of bullshit, arrested for libel. Don't make me laugh any and all religions can be consider a cult, any and all religions were consider a cult probably at least once. If you think a religion is a cult then it is a cult and you can call it cult, its not like saying a company has 5 bananas when it actually has 20. You aren't misleading anyone when you say it, its a ideology you ether believe or you don't. Therefor its only correct that some could think of it as a cult and other as if it was a religion.

The word cult has good and bad and neutral notations anyways.
By some of the vary definitions any and all religions can be consider a cult, rather you believe it or not, or consider it evul.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult
Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Belle
Academy Student

Belle is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, I think the kid deserved it :\

There was a monstrous shitstorm before "Operation: Fair Game stop" and the main planning forums had a MASSIVE THREAD ABOUT IT. Anyone who had Cult on their shit and still thought they were not going to get in shit is an idiot.

That said, I absolutely support this brave protester.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
Kamakazi
Chuunin

Kamakazi is on a distinguished road

Doesn't London secure rights to citizens such as, Freedom of speech/press.
Religion is a touchy subject... but it has been bashed over and over again for centuries.
Why does Scientology get any special treatment like this.
I think this might have been hyped up to get Scientology into the press.