Microsoft Says Goodbye To Bill Gates - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Babyface BK
<3===BK

Thanked 1,856 Times in 844 Posts
Babyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant future
Microsoft Says Goodbye To Bill Gates

Quote:
For all the superlatives used to describe Microsoft's rise and stature over the years, at its heart are two guys who never would have guessed how big the company and the industry have become.

That sentiment came out as Microsoft said goodbye Friday to Bill Gates, who co-founded the company 33 years ago and now turns his full-time attention to philanthropy.

Gates made an exception to his usual distaste for self-congratulation, spending more than an hour in an open, emotional reminiscence with his friend, business partner and successor, Steve Ballmer.

"My life's work really is about software and working with incredible people," Gates said with tears in his eyes at a gathering on the company's Redmond campus. "And I love working with smart people. I love working with Steve. I love working with all the incredible people here."

Earlier in the week, Gates learned that the company's software-development-tools business had passed $1 billion in sales for the year.

"I remember Steve and I staying up late at night wondering if any software company, whether it was Microsoft or anyone, could ever get to a billion in sales," Gates said. "That is a big number."

In the fiscal year that ends Monday, Microsoft is expected to have total sales of more than $60 billion.

Microsoft has its origins in the big dreams of Gates and Paul Allen, who discovered computing together at Lakeside School in North Seattle. They imagined a time when computers would be affordable and software would do amazing things. Gates said the dream "seemed very crazy" at the time.

"I dropped out of school, we got the company going and people thought we were kind of strange guys," he said. "... We've come an amazing distance."

A defining triumph was the company's battle with the dominant company of the day, IBM. Gates called it a David vs. Goliath story that "came out with the right ending."

In other areas, Gates acknowledged the company made mistakes and has been late to appreciate some trends in technology. "But we've come back and we learn from those things, and a lot of our best work is the result of that," he said.

The areas where Microsoft is the biggest underdog today are Internet search and advertising. Gates said Microsoft is applying its time-tested formula of putting together teams of smart people, studying the competition, conducting research of its own and coming out with a better product.

"Even though it takes years before people see the full effect of that, it's an exciting thing," he said. "We have so many opportunities to surprise people."

Ballmer said it's more fun to come from behind in business.

"It's actually harder, and a lot of people who work for the company now have never done it," he said.

The two men shared a small stage in an auditorium on Microsoft's headquarters campus, which now sprawls on both sides of Highway 520 — a physical representation of the company's dramatic growth.

Gates recalled nearly 30 years ago when he was trying to attract Ballmer to the company, which only had about 30 employees at the time.

"I'd hired my friends, which was a small set, and that wasn't going to get us there," Gates said.

Gates and Ballmer discussed the need to grow the staff. They could imagine doubling, from 100 to 200, or 200 to 400. "But we always thought that would be it," Gates said.

In pursuing the company's dream of a computer on every desk, they were more preoccupied with "whether the company could handle the craziness of our current size. We never said, 'Well, someday we'll be 10,000, so let's not worry about the problems of being 2,000,' " Gates said.

As of Wednesday, the company counted 91,192 employees worldwide. Nearly 39,500 of them work in the Puget Sound region.

"But if anybody's wondering when we're going to have 180,000 people, stop wondering," Ballmer said.

Gates added, "No, I don't think we'll double again. But I've been wrong before."

About 800 employees, family members and figures from Microsoft's past attended live. Others watched on big screens in cafeterias around the campus and at their desks in Microsoft's offices around the world.

"It's an emotional day for everyone," said Tracy Chen, one of the employees who won a lottery to see Gates' send off in person. "I think he was very sincere and we were hearing a lot of personal stories."

Ballmer said he struggled with an adequate way to mark Gates' departure after more than three decades, the creation of a company and an industry for it to dominate. First, he gave Gates a scrapbook. Then he said an emotional thank you.

Every individual at Microsoft, "whether you started last week or whether you started 28 years ago," has the opportunity to contribute to society, develop as a professional, work with the best and the brightest in the world and prosper personally, Ballmer said.

"We've been given an enormous opportunity, and Bill gave us that opportunity," Ballmer said, choking out the words through tears. "I want to thank Bill for that and I want you to, too."
This man has run a pretty impressive career and you can't hate just for being rich. He done something incredible and revolutionised the world of technology.

"The road to success is always under construction. "
Babyface BK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
sheik
S-Ranked Shinobi

sheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enough
Re: Microsoft Says Goodbye To Bill Gates

I thought this guy was going to die while still working for the company.

It is a surprise to see him leave out of no where.

What happened to Typhoon_4434?
made by rasenganfox

sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Tsuna
♪S♥NE~소녀시대♪♪

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,137 Posts
Tsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, when I read that title the first thing I thought was, "BILL GATES IS DEAD?!" Just shows how much you think Bill Gates is gonna be at Microsoft till "death do them part", eh?
Tsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugoiNaruto162 View Post
Wow, when I read that title the first thing I thought was, "BILL GATES IS DEAD?!" Just shows how much you think Bill Gates is gonna be at Microsoft till "death do them part", eh?

Ditto.

I though he was dead also, to see him leave just hurts.

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
PrinceJodabeni
Genin

PrinceJodabeni is an unknown quantity at this point

he needs to suck it up
Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
DaRk_LoRd_SuPrEmE_3.14159
Missing-Nin

DaRk_LoRd_SuPrEmE_3.14159 is an unknown quantity at this point

*sniff* He was always my idol...
DaRk_LoRd_SuPrEmE_3.14159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

He only made the gayest operating system. LET US WORSHIP HIM!

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckboy View Post
He only made the gayest operating system. LET US WORSHIP HIM!
Well, he revolutionized the computer, developing chips that could store unprecedented amounts of information in an also unprecedented small package. Without his contribution to technology, we would very likely not be discussing this on the internet right now.

Last edited by Trey; 07-23-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,766 Times in 926 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

He talks about being a philanthropist after leaving the company. With all the wealth that he owns I wonder how he is going to put it to good use?
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Sevi
Toothpick

Sevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day.
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi87 View Post
He talks about being a philanthropist after leaving the company. With all the wealth that he owns I wonder how he is going to put it to good use?
I'm sure he'll donate to a lot of charities and such.

I told this to a few of my friends and they thought I was joking.

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
sanane kardesim
Jounin

sanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of lightsanane kardesim is a glorious beacon of light

?? wtf
i know this since christmas
i wonder if the company will be as glory as before without him
well im looking forward to windows 7

sanane kardesim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
kikuri
Genin

kikuri is on a distinguished road

well, at first i though bill was gone--dead.

but him leaving Microsoft is a shocker. i also thought he'd be there until the very end of his life. but then again, when he started his foundation, the possibility of him turning to philanthropic work is somewhat imminent. but at least he's putting all that money to good use. he won't live to spend all of it anyway. ♥

♥Fan's Clubs♥

Member: Akatsuki FC
Petitioning: Team 7 FC ♥
♪♫Owner of the Vampire Knight FC♫♪
kikuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
anbu110
Academy Student

anbu110 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow he finally leaves (with billions of dollars in his pocket of course)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
uchiha-anwar
Missing-Nin

uchiha-anwar will become famous soon enoughuchiha-anwar will become famous soon enoughuchiha-anwar will become famous soon enough

farewell gates..farewell.....enjoy ur uncountable dollars....and yet u still dont wanna buy a cell phone....farewell.

u ppl wanna know something funny about gates...

he can feed a nation of 75 million popultion in 3 meals (breakfast,launch,dinner) for a whole week with his money.
uchiha-anwar is offline   Reply With Quote