Is 'The Dark Knight' for Kids? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Is 'The Dark Knight' for Kids?

http://kids.yahoo.com/parents/blog/1...#39;+for+Kids?

Quote:
It's not a comic book movie.

That's the first thing you should know when your kids ask to see "The Dark Knight," this summer's biggest blockbuster. The film is vastly more true to Frank Miller's famous alternative view of The Batman than to the zap-pow camp of Adam West's TV portrayal and sanitized DC comics that filled our childhood.

So how do you answer? Should your children see "The Dark Knight?" We turned first to our resident film fanatic and visual designer, Chuck Kim, the first of the Yahoo! Kids team to see the box office smash.

"I would not take a kid to see 'The Dark Knight,' said Chuck. "The Joker and Two-Face alone could give a kid nightmares." The oft-mentioned violence is not of one of gore, he says, but more of the heart—and thus potentially more terrifying. "The main thing is that it is a very dark movie," Chuck concludes."There's no ray of hope for the city." He recommends kids be 14 or older to see the film.

Such cautions seem to be the consensus, beginning with movie's star, Christian Bale, who said this on the "Today Show:"

"It’s quite haunting. It’s something which will stay with you for quite a while afterward. I’m not sure how much a child will be oblivious to that. I would say starting at about 9, maybe 10 years old may be an appropriate age for kids to be able to deal with this.”

A sampling of other comments:

"'Dark Knight' is a staggeringly violent and disturbing film. Thought-provoking for adults, but potentially terrifying for children," says Jeffrey Weiss of The Dallas Morning News. "The PG-13 rating should offer some warning, yes. But this film dances just south of an R in my book."

"This film is not for children, and I would discourage parents from taking anyone under 12 to see this movie," writes Jim Pappas of The Trades.com. “'The Dark Knight' offers a glimpse into the darker places within each of us, which might be cathartic for some, but others will simply be afraid."

"The movie is sadistic, violent, disturbing and also one of the best and biggest movies of the year," according to MoviesOnline.ca. "That all said, 3 out of 4 of those components are absolutely not suitable for young children... regardless of how the MPAA rated the movie."

Ultimately, the "Dark Knight" decision depends upon you, your children and your relationships with them. There are children at age 14 (and I was one) who would be deeply troubled by the darkness of the film. And there are children of 10 who could not only face down the terror but even discuss some of the film's layered themes.

In all cases, we suggest talking with your children about "The Dark Knight." Be sure they understand that it is not a typical comic book movie and that it is intended for grown-ups. And should you permit them to see the film, we strongly recommend discussing it afterwards; our Common Sense Media review has some excellent starting points.
How about you? Have you seen "The Dark Knight?" Would you let childrens to see it?

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts
Re: Is 'The Dark Knight' for Kids?

Depends what age. I would let kids 7-8 and up. Kids younger than that is just a little too young. I will agree, it is a PG-13 movie, afterall-- I wouldn't let a 4-year old watch it. Especially with violence, language and whatnot. =/

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
slayer91
Hunter-Nin

slayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to beholdslayer91 is a splendid one to behold

i have not seen it but after reading what that guy wrote proved how much of a pussy he is....

the limitations we put on children are just rediculous....we block things that are natural all call it inapropriet.....we treat our children as if they are beacons of light that are completely pure in every single way.....but i have not actually seen this movie so i cant judge the horrifying quality of this movie that will scare children and make them piss themselves
I am what I am
slayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
saskatu
Blitzkrieg

saskatu is an unknown quantity at this point

If kids want to see or know any terror take them to a Freddy Kruger movie.

I really dont give a damn on what age a child is, they should watch the movie if they chose to. Also if they get scared make them watch a clown movie, then see what they would say.

saskatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

It's only for kids as far as the "cool, it's a superhero with a cool costume beating up badguys" factor goes. Outside of the special effects, the plot and underlying intricacies of morals and existentialism are obviously above their comprehension and intended for a more mature audience.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
It's only for kids as far as the "cool, it's a superhero with a cool costume beating up badguys" factor goes. Outside of the special effects, the plot and underlying intricacies of morals and existentialism are obviously above their comprehension and intended for a more mature audience.
You know what is funny. I tried talking to my 15 year old friends about them and they said, "Nobody cares."

I thought it was a great film because of the existential elements, but I didn't like that little stab at anarchy.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
YondaimeBunshin
Chuunin

YondaimeBunshin is on a distinguished roadYondaimeBunshin is on a distinguished road

^Well I think that was just to accentuate the idea that Batman as a symbol is ultimate incorruptible justice and order. Whereas the opposite of perfect order is...anarchy. And while I don't think the Joker would normally admit to that, I liked the idea that he's aware of his position and that he's contradicting the logic and laws of the world and somehow doing it a favor, as opposed to being just insane for no apparent reason. He's insanity...with a purpose! *sports insanity related product following slogan* It was so badass I wanna go see it for a 3rd time.

But back OT: I actually think kids are already corrupted to the point where it wouldn't matter, anymore 5 year olds deal are exposed to things that when I was a kid, had to be 10 and yea high so to speak to be exposed to. 40 is the new 30 and somehow I hope that they actually have an unrated version when DVD is available. This isn't the worst PG-13 movie I've ever seen.
YondaimeBunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
SilverYondiame
ANBU

SilverYondiame is just really niceSilverYondiame is just really niceSilverYondiame is just really niceSilverYondiame is just really niceSilverYondiame is just really niceSilverYondiame is just really niceSilverYondiame is just really nice

I'll say that the movie was freak'n awesome and had many goals that it reached along with many underlying themes. As far as it goes for kids, there is soo much more they are shown on normal television with family guy and such that this movie would seem okay. But I would still say no it shouldn't be shown to kids at all! Its really dark and sets a tone that is definitely adult. This is not a movie for kids to go see..... I actually know quite a few kids that just thought the commercials were scary enough.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
D4rKR34v3r
ANBU

Location: Wow, if you are reading this stop trying to stalk me
D4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud of

http://www.spill.com/movie-review/Th...+Knight/357349
D4rKR34v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
LonelyNinja

"Just dances south of an R rated movie?" Are you fucking kidding me? R-rated movies are like gore and sex and drug use and extreme language. Does Batman have any of that? No! The one time that Gordon almost says "Shit" he gets shot. (Spoilers, hurr hurr hurr.) Is there any gore? No. There are no bits of people flying around, there isn't any blood gushing out anywhere. Hell, there isn't all that much blood. Drug use, no. Sex, no. So yeah, Batman is fine for a PG-13 movie. Also, there's a goddamn reason why it's PG-13. That means kids under thirteen really shouldn't be watching this film. Is it that hard for parents to figure out? Also, yeah, kids these days aren't innocent. I mean, for fuck's sake, I heard a seven-year-old call someone Miller Lite. As in the beer. When I was seven I didn't know what brands of beer there were, hell, I honestly don't think I knew what beer was. So yeah, a ten-year-old could see Dark Knight and wouldn't be all that traumatized. Maybe by Two-Faces' ugly mug, but that's about it.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
prez420
Chuunin

prez420 is on a distinguished roadprez420 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
"Just dances south of an R rated movie?" Are you fucking kidding me? R-rated movies are like gore and sex and drug use and extreme language. Does Batman have any of that? No! The one time that Gordon almost says "Shit" he gets shot. (Spoilers, hurr hurr hurr.) Is there any gore? No. There are no bits of people flying around, there isn't any blood gushing out anywhere. Hell, there isn't all that much blood. Drug use, no. Sex, no. So yeah, Batman is fine for a PG-13 movie. Also, there's a goddamn reason why it's PG-13. That means kids under thirteen really shouldn't be watching this film. Is it that hard for parents to figure out? Also, yeah, kids these days aren't innocent. I mean, for fuck's sake, I heard a seven-year-old call someone Miller Lite. As in the beer. When I was seven I didn't know what brands of beer there were, hell, I honestly don't think I knew what beer was. So yeah, a ten-year-old could see Dark Knight and wouldn't be all that traumatized. Maybe by Two-Faces' ugly mug, but that's about it.

I agree with u on most points about kids not being as innocent as some people think they are but i disagree with u on a few points about the movie. Yes there isnt much in the way of gore but there is quite a bit of implied gore
Joker slicing open that guy's face to give a permanent smile is a good example

There are quite a few other scenes where the gore and brutality are implied but not shown on screen in fact they make up most of the movie. Its pretty clear to me this movie pushes the PG13 rating to its limits but dont get me wrong i thought it was a awesome movie. Visual wise its a PG13 borderline R but story/plot wise its a solid R.

Last edited by prez420; 07-24-2008 at 05:20 AM.
prez420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
asq599
Academy Student

asq599 is an unknown quantity at this point

first off greatest movie ever really mindblowing

but "not a comic book movie" wtf??!?! i understand that it is different but alot was based off the killing joke!!

and this is just another thing for stupid media and crap to b**** and complain about
if its rated pg-13 maby someone under 13 might not be someone to see this movie...just a thought. but idk iv been watch ing R movies sence i was 8 and iam not mentally scared but thats just me

theres my 2 cents

simply the best

life is like a box of chocolates never know if a giant man eating squid will fall on you and destroy it
asq599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
white wolf god
Genin

white wolf god is on a distinguished road

Its a great movie, but some parts there not for kids, basically the combat fighting...

For those seen the film...

the bit where joker has one of the mob leaders by the head with a knife in his mouth now that was a bit disturbing might influence young kids

then again saying that kids were in the movie and actually laffed when the joker came on, and then again kids were just running around the cinema through out the whole film which says something as well.....
Old 07-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #14
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Morally speaking I wouldn't let a kid watch the movie if he was younger than 13 due to the violence and language but if the kid was mentally mature and knew the fineline of fiction and reality and I knew for a fact he wouldn't have nightmares then why not. I've seen crazier things on the news than what this movie showed.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #15
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

If the Dark Knight isn't for kids, than kids shouldn't watch any TV. That has far worse effects than a movie with violence and philosophical themes.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote