Dark Knight' stays on top with $26M - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Dark Knight' stays on top with $26M

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2...841442000.html

Quote:
Batman was higher than Hollywood's newest pot heads.

"The Dark Knight" took in $26 million to finish as the No. 1 movie for the fourth straight weekend, beating the stoner comedy "Pineapple Express," which opened in second place with $22.4 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The weekend haul lifted the Warner Bros. Batman sequel to No. 3 on the all-time domestic box-office charts with $441.5 million, behind only "Titanic" ($600.8 million) and the original "Star Wars" ($461 million).

The last movie to remain No. 1 for four consecutive weekends was "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" in late 2003 and 2004, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers. That movie did it during a much slower time of year, with nowhere near the competition "The Dark Knight" has faced during Hollywood's busy summer season.

"It's almost unheard of. Summer doesn't usually afford films that much of a wide-open playing field," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers.

"The Dark Knight" should surpass "Star Wars" to become No. 2 on the revenue chart by this coming weekend.

However, the numbers reflect today's higher admission prices, and "The Dark Knight" will not approach "Star Wars" or "Titanic" in terms of actual number of tickets sold. Taking inflation into account, "The Dark Knight" would need to pull in about $900 million to match the number of tickets sold for "Titanic" and about $1.2 billion to equal "Star Wars."

Even so, "The Dark Knight" has far outdone even its studio's expectations. Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., said he would have been happy if the movie simply exceeded the $205 million domestic total of its predecessor, "Batman Begins."

It should top out at $510 million to $520 million, Fellman said.

"It has taken on a life of its own, and in doing so got so much positive press and word of mouth that older audiences who normally don't rush out to see movies or maybe only see two, three movies a year are coming out in large numbers," Fellman said. "It's a question of `We've been reading about this for three, four weeks now. Let's go see what it's all about.'"

Since opening Wednesday, Sony's "Pineapple Express" had taken in $40.5 million. The action comedy stars Seth Rogen as a pot smoker on the run from crooks after he witnesses a murder, with his lovably clueless dealer (James Franco) in tow.

While "Pineapple Express" was unable to dislodge "The Dark Knight," Sony executives were happy with a strong No. 2 finish given the juggernaut the Batman flick has become.

"Quite frankly, it's nice to know that everything else is still kind of doing some business," said Rory Bruer, Sony head of distribution. "We're so very satisfied to be at $40 million-plus after five days. You couldn't ask for more."

The weekend's other wide release, the Warner Bros. sequel "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2," opened at No. 4 with $10.8 million, raising its total to $19.7 million since debuting Wednesday.

The movie reunites gal pals America Ferrera, Amber Tamblyn, Alexis Bledel and Blake Lively as the foursome whose friendship is reinforced by the worn pair of pants they share.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Dark Knight," $26 million.

2. "Pineapple Express," $22.4 million.

3. "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" $16.1 million.

4. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2," $10.8 million.

5. "Step Brothers," $8.9 million.

6. "Mamma Mia!", $8.1 million.

7. "Journey to the Center of the Earth," $4.9 million.

8. "Hancock," $3.3 million.

9. "Swing Vote," $3.1 million.

10. "WALL-E," $3 million.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough
Re: Dark Knight' stays on top with $26M

Not surprising, really!

I wanna watch the mummy. Can anyone tell me if it's good?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Kites
I Love Donuts

Kites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potato View Post
Not surprising, really!

I wanna watch the mummy. Can anyone tell me if it's good?
You like cheesy, special effects?
Kites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite$ View Post
You like cheesy, special effects?
Oh yeah. Won't watch a movie without them.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Kites
I Love Donuts

Kites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potato View Post
Oh yeah. Won't watch a movie without them.
You're going to love Dragonball next year. <3
Kites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
RasenganFox
Thunder Sage

RasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of lightRasenganFox is a glorious beacon of light

How the hell did the Traveling Pants make #4 in the box office? >__>

"Will you be the savior of the broken, the beaten, and the damned?"
RasenganFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil

The Mummy looks good cause of jet li. Need to watch Dark Knight too.
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
ralatone
Chuunin

ralatone is on a distinguished road

I really want The Dark Knight to surpass the Titanic in the revenue charts but it doesn't look like its going to happen.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,770 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheChain View Post
The Mummy looks good cause of jet li. Need to watch Dark Knight too.
I'd recommend to watch The Mummy when it hits the dollar theater, its not bad but it ain't worth 10 bucks to watch at a regular theater.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

Location: Although I may not go down in history I will however go down on your sister
Shikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to behold

wow, whys hancock so low... oh i just answered my own question -_-
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
hippiematt
Chuunin

hippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of light

I saw this coming that movie is a must see basically.
I wanna see the mummy but I was scared that it would suck.

Brawl

Mario Cart

hippiematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
J.A.M.D.
Genin

J.A.M.D. is an unknown quantity at this point

The movie was good, it would have been better if the joker actualy cut some one.
J.A.M.D. is offline   Reply With Quote