Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Naruto Fox9
TNT

Naruto Fox9 is on a distinguished roadNaruto Fox9 is on a distinguished road
Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime? After all there is no Manga for it and many people don't consider it Anime because it didn't come from Orient (China, Japan, etc).

People who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Last edited by Naruto Fox9; 08-15-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Naruto Fox9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice
Re: Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

For the reasons you just gave, no. Admittedly, it ain't half-bad for a kid's show, but it's not an anime.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Sasuke is awsome
Jounin

Sasuke is awsome is a jewel in the roughSasuke is awsome is a jewel in the roughSasuke is awsome is a jewel in the roughSasuke is awsome is a jewel in the roughSasuke is awsome is a jewel in the rough

It's defintley not an anime
Proud Owner of Tsunade FC
Proud Owner of Orchimaru FC
Proud Owner of The Three Legendary Sannin FC
Proud Member of the Konoha Orange Flash FC
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...sasuke-san.gif
Want free stuff? Such as a Xbox 360 or PS3. If so. Then click on the link below, sign up, and earn up enough points and get want you want. If you don't believe me check out the Testimonals.
http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=88409

May he rest in peace
Sasuke is awsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
satsuki
~girl from hell~

satsuki is an unknown quantity at this point

nop. its not an anime. i don't consider it as one but even so, i like watching it.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Not an anime persay but a good damn attempt by the Americans. Great show, great action and story, wouldn't be surprised if Japan turned it into a manga or anime using their traditonal style.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Lelouch
Trigger Happy

Lelouch is an unknown quantity at this point

alot of the material used for the show came directly from japans C&T, but since its american nope its just another damn good cartoon.
Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

no its just a really good cartoon. the animation is kinda better than some anime, and it has 1 thing most anime usually doesnt have. filler episodes that arent completely stupid and quite enjoyable
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Shikamaru2007
Special Jounin

Shikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of light

American Animation is an American Animation .... No matter how good is it
Anime is Japanese ..... so , I don't consider Avatar an anime , Just a great Nick' Show ..

- FanClubs -
The Proud Owner Of :
Join Us at : Final Fantasy FC
A Proud Member Of :
~ The Official Shikamaru FC ~
~ The Uzumaki Naruto FC ~
~ The New Gaara Offical FanClub ~
~ The New Uchiha Clan FC ~
~ Kingdom Hearts FC ~

A Proud Co-Owner Of :
~ The "NEW" Madara Uchiha FC ~
Shikamaru2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #9
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

No, not anime-- But it is drawn in that style. I still consider it a cartoon, or I call it "American-anime". Not exactly the real thing, but it's a hell of a lot better than more cartoons I see these days.
I personally don't call it "anime". =/

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Hiraku
Puppet Master

Hiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of light

the best dang cartoon in the last five years. Thats what Avatar is to any fan of the show. Not anime its to short and direct to the point to be anime in its plot.

The Look of Innocence
Hiraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
the_bargain
Genin

the_bargain is an unknown quantity at this point

the best animated show there is
the_bargain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bargain View Post
the best animated show there is
Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and try saying that. I garuntee you shall fail, and if you so much as try, your head will implode.

By no stretch is it an anime. It's amerime, usually something to be urinated on. This one has trancended that level and arisen to the level of something to contemplate spitting on. As, being the sacrelige that it is, it's almost good. So it's hard to decide whether or not to spit on it.

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
Spiegel
Pirate King

Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w_Hunter View Post
Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and try saying that. I garuntee you shall fail, and if you so much as try, your head will implode.

By no stretch is it an anime. It's amerime, usually something to be urinated on. This one has trancended that level and arisen to the level of something to contemplate spitting on. As, being the sacrelige that it is, it's almost good. So it's hard to decide whether or not to spit on it.
Very harsh even if you made the attempt to compliment it towards the end. I'd wouldn't go as far as you but its high level animation by the americans and can go on par with Samurai Jack. As far as I know those are the only two shows that can be deemed worthy to be compared to as an anime.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi87 View Post
Very harsh even if you made the attempt to compliment it towards the end. I'd wouldn't go as far as you but its high level animation by the americans and can go on par with Samurai Jack. As far as I know those are the only two shows that can be deemed worthy to be compared to as an anime.
See...i respect samurai Jack. It made no attempt to be an anime. The style was simple in the style of an american cartoon, which just happened to be action packed. Genndy Tartovsky (SP?) did a wonderful job with that show. The only reason i say it can't be compaired to anime is this: if it was about the crazy scottsman and not a samurai, chances are, it wouldnt even occur to you to compare it to anime.

Avatar almost got me. I have to admit. Though, it's probably my undying hatred for dubbing that killed this series for me. English voiceactors, for the most part, are in an eternal pit of fail.

I dunno...maybe i'll give avatar a second chance, it seems to be popular enough.

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
Spiegel
Pirate King

The voice acting in Avatar is really great for an American cartoon that has the "anime style"; more so than the crap load of the anime that gets dubbed here by the likes of Bandai and Funimation (Funimation and 4Kids can burn in hell for ruinning some good ones). And you are right that the creator of Samurai Jack didn't go in the direction of making an anime stylized cartoon and it ended up being uber great. I also read in an article that the creator of Avatar is an anime enthusiast and is inspired by the art work that Japanese animators put into their series so when he created Avatar it had the oriental feel of an anime but his focus wasn't on trying to make it an American anime; he just wanted to make a great cartoon series with the oriental appeal.
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*