American Olympians wear Masks in Beijing - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Naruto2008
Special Jounin

Naruto2008 is just really niceNaruto2008 is just really niceNaruto2008 is just really niceNaruto2008 is just really niceNaruto2008 is just really niceNaruto2008 is just really niceNaruto2008 is just really nice
American Olympians wear Masks in Beijing

Why should they apologize? They are world class athletes and shouldn't have to be exposed to the crappy polluted air in Beijing. All they were doing was trying to keep their lungs clean, for the 2008 OLYMPICS.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/...ks-in-beijing/

Bitch I'm tha bomb like tick, tick!
Naruto2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Re: American Olympians wear Masks in Beijing

And their lungs wont be clean when they started their games.

Beijing air has always been an issue. Many athelete are reported sick.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
wamberjuice
Missing-Nin

wamberjuice is an unknown quantity at this point

Better safe than sorry!
wamberjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Kites
I Love Donuts

Kites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to behold

Think of it this way.. Would you want people coming into your house with mask because they think your air is 'polluted'? It's an insult. The Chinese have every right to be angry, and they did the right thing by apologizing.

Anyways... America! Fuck yeah!!!
Kites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Love The Anbu Kakashi
Academy Student

Love The Anbu Kakashi is an unknown quantity at this point

i've read in the newspapers that Beijing's air pollution is in the normal range since China has signed the agreement to reduce the air's pollution to an acceptable percentage. they also forbiddend cars to run on in order to reduce the air's pollution. i think they did all their best to make this Olympics successful, and they did (i've watched the opening it was soooo cool!!! )

a member in :-

a member in "Tsunade FC" , " L FC" & "Anti-Sasuke FC"
Love The Anbu Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

and from what ive heard only long term exposure to the air would harm you so being there for 2 weeks wont do anything. it is kinda insulting but they did apologize
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Gamer
Genin

Gamer is an unknown quantity at this point

China - The Village Of Acid Rain
Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite$ View Post
Think of it this way.. Would you want people coming into your house with mask because they think your air is 'polluted'? It's an insult. The Chinese have every right to be angry, and they did the right thing by apologizing.

Anyways... America! Fuck yeah!!!
A country such as Beijing is known for it's air pollution, so unless the person's
house your entering is some grumpy old man, then they should be understanding. =/

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
LonelyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokage4354 View Post
A country such as Beijing is known for it's air pollution, so unless the person's
house your entering is some grumpy old man, then they should be understanding. =/
Beijing's a city, not a country, and the Chinese have different customs and mannerisms than Americans. Like Kites said, it's insulting to them. So the Americans' apology isn't wrong, it was the right thing to do.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
Minamoto4444
Genin

Minamoto4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
Beijing's a city, not a country, and the Chinese have different customs and mannerisms than Americans. Like Kites said, it's insulting to them. So the Americans' apology isn't wrong, it was the right thing to do.
Yeah China is different, but isnt the whole point of the Olympics to put aside different customs and politics and just have a nice competition? Hell, if I was to participate in the Olympics I would where a gas mask where ever I was. Its the Olympics, these guys just dont want to be slowed down by anything.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 AM   #11
LonelyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minamoto4444 View Post
Yeah China is different, but isnt the whole point of the Olympics to put aside different customs and politics and just have a nice competition? Hell, if I was to participate in the Olympics I would where a gas mask where ever I was. Its the Olympics, these guys just dont want to be slowed down by anything.
Yes, it's about global sportsmanship, but part of being a good sport is being polite, too. Don't step on the toes of someone acting as your host. So it's not a bad idea to protect your lungs, but it's a bad idea to be rude, even unintentionally.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
satsuki
~girl from hell~

satsuki is an unknown quantity at this point

lets say they want to protect themselves from polluted air but still they have to respect Chinese. its a little bit insulting in their part..
Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
prez420
Chuunin

prez420 is on a distinguished roadprez420 is on a distinguished road

China should have better environmental standards. They dont give a crap how much garbage they pump up into the sky so why should people care about their feelings ? They clearly dont care about our feelings about keeping planet earth clean for future generations. These athletes train most of there lives to get their bodies as fit as they r y should they risk ruining their lungs for the sake of china's feelings?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
zer0systm
Antagonist

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,875 Posts
zer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nice

Question.....we dont get much coverage on the Yanks here at the the olympics for obvious reasons did the Yanks wear gas mask's everywhere they went in china? if not why walk round the stadium on the last night wearing them? i know the didn't wear them when they ran their races and such
zer0systm is offline   Reply With Quote