Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime? - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice
Re: Do you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

I honestly don't get what people have against American voice actors. They really don't do a bad job. Even in dubbed anime, it's rare for me to hear a voice I really hate (Shino from Naruto is one example). And there have been Japanese voices I hated too (Kisame). I honestly think a lot of people who claim to hate the voice actors in dubs say it because everyone else says it, or because they're more used to the original Japanese voices. But Americans do a satisfactory job overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
no its just a really good cartoon. the animation is kinda better than some anime, and it has 1 thing most anime usually doesnt have. filler episodes that arent completely stupid and quite enjoyable
You, my friend, have no fucking idea what a filler is.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight View Post
I honestly don't get what people have against American voice actors. They really don't do a bad job. Even in dubbed anime, it's rare for me to hear a voice I really hate (Shino from Naruto is one example). And there have been Japanese voices I hated too (Kisame). I honestly think a lot of people who claim to hate the voice actors in dubs say it because everyone else says it, or because they're more used to the original Japanese voices. But Americans do a satisfactory job overall.

You, my friend, have no fucking idea what a filler is.
I can honestly say that american voice actors do not bother me because i'm more used to japanese voices, or because everyone else says so. I just think they all sound so fake and forced.

In japan, people ASPIRE to be voice actors. it's a dream for some and they can make a decent living doing it.

In America, all we get are those failed actors who need cash. Now i realize that not ALL are like that, it just seems to be the majority.

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w_Hunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight
I can honestly say that american voice actors do not bother me because i'm more used to japanese voices, or because everyone else says so. I just think they all sound so fake and forced.

In japan, people ASPIRE to be voice actors. it's a dream for some and they can make a decent living doing it.

In America, all we get are those failed actors who need cash. Now i realize that not ALL are like that, it just seems to be the majority.
I don't have a problem with American voice actors either. The thing that bothers me the most is the choices that some people in the anime industry, like Funimation, make lousy choices (a lot of the times but not always) when it comes to pairing up characters to the right voice actor that's perfect for the role. A good example of good character-to-voice actor pairing would be Dragonball Z (some might argue with me on that), I believe the the voice actors that helped dubb this anime did a phenomenal job at this. Its the reason why it was so successful in the US for a really long time.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi87 View Post
I don't have a problem with American voice actors either. The thing that bothers me the most is the choices that some people in the anime industry, like Funimation, make lousy choices (a lot of the times but not always) when it comes to pairing up characters to the right voice actor that's perfect for the role. A good example of good character-to-voice actor pairing would be Dragonball Z (some might argue with me on that), I believe the the voice actors that helped dubb this anime did a phenomenal job at this. Its the reason why it was so successful in the US for a really long time.
They changed voice actors like 4 times for each character...while some characters didn't appear enough for you to notice if their voice actor changed...

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 AM   #20
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

I did notice the changes but it only affected some like Krillin, Gohan, Yamcha but they also brought back some of the original voice actors like the one for Krillin. Either way Dragonball Z still is considered one of the few anime with good voice acting.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
kimm21
Oni

kimm21 is on a distinguished roadkimm21 is on a distinguished road

its the closest america will come its alright
BROOKLYN RAGE!!!
kimm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #22
puppetier1313
Missing-Nin

Location: in a different dimension where carinvorous bunnies eat knights
puppetier1313 can only hope to improve

It is not an anime. I consider it to to an american imitator anime.
puppetier1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
tobiisagoodboy
Genin

tobiisagoodboy is on a distinguished road

i realy liked avatar the story was good but i dont think its anime il cal a cartoon anime style hybrid but it was pretty wel drawn il give them that
Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
meeh~
Please be nice、 おねがいします~ 

meeh~ is an unknown quantity at this point

Avatar an anime? nahh it didnt have that anime "feel"
But it was pretty good cartoon though, even though it did seem to have anime "style" but after watching it abit you can see the series is more westernized.
It was pretty close though, first time i saw it - i thought it was x]
meeh~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #25
Tsuna
♪S♥NE~소녀시대♪♪

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,137 Posts
Tsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight
I have to disagree. I know that yes, there are many people who just go along with whatever everyone else says about dub voices and don't bother to actually pay attention to the quality of the voices, but I know, at least, that I am not like that. When I listen to American dubs, I listen for voice inflection. And let me tell you, about a good 75-80% of American voice actors have no fucking idea how to properly convey emotion. I'll give it to you though, there are a number of good dubs and quality American VAs--like Luci Christian, Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi...

I think Avatar qualifies as a pseudo-anime, to be on topic.
Tsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #26
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

i think it might be an anime but yet a cartoon but yet an anime kind of in between each other is what i mean
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
kimm21
Oni

kimm21 is on a distinguished roadkimm21 is on a distinguished road

since its american its more like a comic
BROOKLYN RAGE!!!
kimm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #28
EJ
Reckless

EJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of lightEJ is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Kat, avatar falls in that pseudo anime category.

It has an anime feel but it doesn't quite get there.

I also agree with kakashi87, some of the dubs are alright. Dubs like FMA or DBZ (maybe even bleach on adult swim) were decent, unlike dubs like naruto or one piece.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
Sevi
Toothpick

Sevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasenganAcv2 View Post
I agree with Kat, avatar falls in that pseudo anime category.

It has an anime feel but it doesn't quite get there.

I also agree with kakashi87, some of the dubs are alright. Dubs like FMA or DBZ (maybe even bleach on adult swim) were decent, unlike dubs like naruto or one piece.
Agreed. Sanji in One Piece just sounds fucking retarded.

Also, I kind of agree with Kat, except that when I see dubbed anime I don't hear lack of emotion as much I hear too much. I find that they exaggerate whatever emotion they're supposed to be expressing.

On topic: Not an anime, cool cartoon.
Although, what defines an anime? Does it have to derive from a manga, or is it just a Japanese cartoon?
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #30
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

Great storyline, but it aint quite anime style.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote