Overrated/underrated Characters in Naruto - Page 4 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Naruto Series > Naruto Manga

Naruto Manga Talk about the manga series Naruto here! Remember, this is manga only. No anime!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #46
Detcelfer
Hunter-Nin

Detcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the rough
Re: Overrated/underrated Characters in Naruto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticFoxkins View Post
I can see why people think Sasuke is underrated but for me it's not just about power or the amount of jutsus someone knows. His actual character itself is overrated, or at least to me it is. And lets face it there isn't a character in Konoha that underrates Sasuke's power.
To respond to this and Mystik. We're in agreement when we say that Sasuke is indeed powerful. To doubt his abilities would be foolish. With that said, most of my attacks are aimed at Sasukes character and his hand-me-down abilities.

For a counter example. Naruto as far as we're aware is the first human to ever reach the pinnacle of sage training. Plus he's also the first to complete rasengan (or so we all assume). What has Sasuke accomplished on his own accord that goes beyond any other developed technique? Nothing. Both Sasuke and Naruto would not be where they are now if they did not stand upon the shoulders of titans. Yet, Naruto has had the strength and courage to go beyond just expectations of himself. Thats where I see the key difference besides the personality traits.

Originally Posted by Naruto2008
... and the Jman can never be wrong.

Proud member of the Jiraiya Fanclub.
Detcelfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #47
FantasticFoxkins
Genin

FantasticFoxkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detcelfer View Post
To respond to this and Mystik. We're in agreement when we say that Sasuke is indeed powerful. To doubt his abilities would be foolish. With that said, most of my attacks are aimed at Sasukes character and his hand-me-down abilities.

For a counter example. Naruto as far as we're aware is the first human to ever reach the pinnacle of sage training. Plus he's also the first to complete rasengan (or so we all assume). What has Sasuke accomplished on his own accord that goes beyond any other developed technique? Nothing. Both Sasuke and Naruto would not be where they are now if they did not stand upon the shoulders of titans. Yet, Naruto has had the strength and courage to go beyond just expectations of himself. Thats where I see the key difference besides the personality traits.
That's a really good way of looking at it. Sasuke has always been the perfect student, he's learnt how to do techniques that he knows from either copying them or just directly learning them from various mentors. He learns them the way that they are presented to him. Naruto on the other hand never seems to be satisfied to do something the original way, he is constantly putting his own stamp on the techniques he knows and pushing the boundaries in search for bettering himself. Ninjas like Naruto and also to a lesser extent, Lee, are much more appealing to me. They have had to work damn hard to get where they are and without any genius or superior bloodlines.

The only think I will say about Sasuke is that I am unsure if his advancements in Chidori are due to his own research and work or due to what Orochimaru had taught him.

"A shinobi must be courageous because below the courageous there is nothing."
FantasticFoxkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #48
moebrown20
Ninja

moebrown20 will become famous soon enoughmoebrown20 will become famous soon enoughmoebrown20 will become famous soon enough

Overrated- the ANBU (Besides 2 or 3, they suck)
Underrated- Hyuga & Aburame clans (They need way more action)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #49
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

yes, i don't hate sasuke or something, but i think, his whole character is overrated. like detcelfer said, sasuke was always the ninja prodigy, a uchiha, sharingan, bla blubb and he always got the things which gave him power without actually struggle for it. kakashi trained with him, not with naruto, altough naruto asked kakashi first. then orochimaru wanted sasuke and trained him (yes oro had some interest in sasuke for himself :>).
and i mentioned the itachi fight, which i think is the reason why i can't think of anyone else than sasuke as most overrated character in the newer mangas >_<

ah ya btw...SHARKPOWER ! go kisame, finish him !!!!1111elven -_-^^

greetz
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #50
Narutologist
ANBU

Narutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Let's look at chidori for a second. Kakashi trained sasuke to used that technique in the part of naruto...since then sasuke has taken chidori on levels we have yet to see kakashi accomplish. he has so many variations of it its a shame. Now he has a new sharingan that we have yet to see anyone else have. then look at that technique he did on itachi...that was all him. I can see the argument on character and all but there is no need to have two narutos in the manga...sasuke's character was shaped by the pain he felt as a child...hell the boy till this day remains to be confused because he doesnt know who to hold responsible for the destruction of his clan anymore. I sympathize with him...i think sasuke far exceeded the expectations that kakashi had and definitely orochimaru (he was so shocked when that sword come through the door)...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #51
FantasticFoxkins
Genin

Naruto's character was also shaped by the pain he suffered as a child he just chose to deal with that in a positive way. Sasuke has undoubtedly had a raw deal but the way he disregarded the way others have suffered and continue to suffer mean that I have very little sympathy for him.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #52
Narutologist
ANBU

Narutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the roughNarutologist is a jewel in the rough

Yeah your right...he could have went about it differently but how boring would that be? the would be on the same paths doing the same things. At least this way we will get to see one hell of a fight between the two...of course naruto will win. I just think people give sasuke a bad rap because he is different...neji was the same way until he lost to naruto...once naruto beats the hell out of sasuke he will have a change of heart...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #53
FantasticFoxkins
Genin

You can be a conflicted character without completely betraying everyone and everything that you have ever known. Perhaps revenge is all Sasuke feels he has now but it still isn't true as Naruto and Sakura are still chasing him with everything they have. The one thing I will say is that Naruto's determination to get stronger to save Sasuke is compelling. It has driven the plot along and helped Naruto accomplish great things. Still doesn't mean I have to like him though, heh.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #54
Krohnie84
Jounin

Krohnie84 will become famous soon enoughKrohnie84 will become famous soon enoughKrohnie84 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sasuke is powerful and I will not argue that; but it seems WAY to easy for him to gain this power. He has been getting Jutsu dumped into him for the last two and a half years so he would be ready for the Micheal Jackson wana be (Aka. Oro). I like everything you said Detcelfer, but you did leave out chidori and what he has acomplished with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutologist View Post
Let's look at chidori for a second. Kakashi trained sasuke to used that technique in the part of naruto...since then sasuke has taken chidori on levels we have yet to see kakashi accomplish. he has so many variations of it its a shame. Now he has a new sharingan that we have yet to see anyone else have. then look at that technique he did on itachi...that was all him. I can see the argument on character and all but there is no need to have two narutos in the manga...sasuke's character was shaped by the pain he felt as a child...hell the boy till this day remains to be confused because he doesnt know who to hold responsible for the destruction of his clan anymore. I sympathize with him...i think sasuke far exceeded the expectations that kakashi had and definitely orochimaru (he was so shocked when that sword come through the door)...

I think your putting Kakashi down a little too much with what your saying here. We have seen Kakashi use another jutsu (The lightning dog thing) and it was much better than Sasuke's. At the same time the last lightning technique Sasuke used in the Itachi fight was cool and I think it is something Kakashi had yet to think of.

I think the most important thing we have to remember is that they are both powerful and both have gotten there by different yet very simular ways, and the statement from Detcelfur rings true for Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura,
Quote:
Both Sasuke and Naruto (& Sakura) would not be where they are now if they did not stand upon the shoulders of Titans.

"Never go back on your word... and never give up, no matter how bad it gets. That's your Ninja way."
Jiraiya Ero-Sennin.
Krohnie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #55
Detcelfer
Hunter-Nin

Detcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the roughDetcelfer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narutologist View Post
We'll probably never know all the things Oro helped teach Sasuke. I'm much more inclined to believe he learned those things and the following spin off techniques from Oro. Thats what we're instructed to believe through the story.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #56
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

so is anyone in agreement with me that suigetsu is underrated. I mean he withstood a blast from a bijuu and he seems be really hard to hurt
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #57
Konnaha_yellow_flash
Kage

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,577 Posts
Konnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to all

I agree sasuke has many character flaws, but if you look at naruto hard enough you can see his too.

Examples1: sasukes selfishness. Him leaving the village so he can gain power from Oro to kill itachi.

Narutos selfishness: Putting the life of one person over the entire village, "sasuke". Knowing sasuke has chosen his path, but wont let it go.

Example2: Attempted murder. After gaining the power of the CS, Sasuke attemps to kill naruto so he can gain the power of the MS.

Naruto allows the Kyuubi to come out just so he can get back at oro for making sasuke leave. As you know, naruto in kyuubi form nearly killed sakura.
I know, but still. Naruto knows how dangerous the kyuubi is, but he still let him out.

As you can see with these examples if you look at a character fom differant points of veiw, you can find the very things you criticise other characters for.
Of course this is also influinced by preference. Still, I think you get my point

Detcelfers going to hit me with a spinning back fist of info here in a minute lol.

Last edited by Konnaha_yellow_flash; 01-08-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Konnaha_yellow_flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #58
Detcelfer
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnaha_yellow_flash View Post
I agree sasuke has many character flaws, but if you look at naruto hard enough you can see his too.

Examples1: sasukes selfishness. Him leaving the village so he can gain power from Oro to kill itachi.

Narutos selfishness: Putting the life of one person over the entire village, "sasuke". Knowing sasuke has chosen his path, but wont let it go.

Example2: Attempted murder. After gaining the power of the CS, Sasuke attemps to kill naruto so he can gain the power of the MS.

Naruto allows the Kyuubi to come out just so he can get back at oro for making sasuke leave. As you know, naruto in kyuubi form nearly killed sakura.
I know, but still. Naruto knows how dangerous the kyuubi is, but he still let him out.

As you can see with these examples if you look at a character fom differant points of veiw, you can find the very things you criticise other characters for.
Of course this is also influinced by preference. Still, I think you get my point
Finally a dispute with my good friend.

Are you really saying that Naruto would put Sasuke over the village? That is what you said. If I recall, Naruto was allowed on several occasions to try and bring Sasuke back, failed, and was told in a nut shell "perhaps at a later date but now we have more pressing matters - and you failed".

Concerning the Kyuubi, Naruto lost control of his emotions. Yamato had to be the one to explain to Naruto that it was his fault that Sakura was hurt. Since then he's never used it. So he places the value of everyones safety before the value of Sasuke. If he truly put Sasuke first he would have left the village in pursuit.

As you can see I gracefully abolished your argument at every turn and now put the ball in your court. The game is on!

Last edited by Detcelfer; 01-08-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #59
FantasticFoxkins
Genin

Of course Naruto has his flaws. That's what makes him so appealing as a character to me. He tends to be irrational and very rarely thinks through the consequences of his actions. Of course he has moments where he is selfish but the mistakes Naruto has made are not on the same level as the choices that Sasuke has made. His new goal is to destroy Konoha is it not? Naruto has never been the kind of ninja that inflicts that kind of destruction. It would have been easy for him to turn out like Gaara was originally and go down Sasuke's vengeance path for the way the village treat him, yet he didn't. There are several characters that Naruto could have killed, yet he hasn't. Sasuke's betrayal and Naruto's frustration at his inability to stop him are not the same. Not to me anyway.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #60
Konnaha_yellow_flash
Kage

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,577 Posts
Konnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Detcelfer;1633633]Finally a dispute with my good friend.

Quote:
Are you really saying that Naruto would put Sasuke over the village? That is what you said. If I recall, Naruto was allowed on several occasions to try and bring Sasuke back, failed, and was told in a nut shell "perhaps at a later date but now we have more pressing matters - and you failed".
Naruto went after sasuke barrowing much needed man power "neji, shika, kiba, chouji". And for what. So he could keep him emotional tie with sasuke. with the village in need of every shinobi after oros attack, naruto shouldve found another way. At that moment he chose sasuke over the village.

Quote:
Concerning the Kyuubi, Naruto lost control of his emotions. Yamato had to be the one to explain to Naruto that it was his fault that Sakura was hurt. Since then he's never used it. So he places the value of everyones safety before the value of Sasuke. If he truly put Sasuke first he would have left the village in pursuit.
That was my example for attemted murder. Yes, naruto doesnt use the kyuubi anymore because of that. But sasuke hasnt attemted to kill anyone since the first fight with naruto "excluding itachi". dont say what about the retreval, I seriously doubt sasuke would kill his only comrades, but let any evil enemy live. Even you have to agree that makes no sense.

Quote:
As you can see I gracefully abolished your argument at every turn and now put the ball in your court. The game is on
Its on like donkey kong!
Konnaha_yellow_flash is offline   Reply With Quote