Teens don't keep virginity pledges; pledgers use less birth control - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
The Assassins Curse
The Coffee Man

The Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the rough
Teens don't keep virginity pledges; pledgers use less birth control

Quote:
MONDAY, Dec. 29 (HealthDay News) -- Teens who take virginity pledges are just as likely to have sex as teens who don't make such promises -- and they're less likely to practice safe sex to prevent disease or pregnancy, a new study finds.

"Previous studies found that pledgers were more likely to delay having sex than non-pledgers," said study author Janet E. Rosenbaum, a post doctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. "I used the same data as previous studies but a different statistical method."

This method allowed Rosenbaum to compare those who had taken a virginity pledge with similar teens who hadn't taken a pledge but were likely to delay having sex, she said. She added that she didn't include teens who were unlikely to take a pledge.

"Virginity pledgers and similar non-pledgers don't differ in the rates of vaginal, oral or anal sex or any other sexual behavior," Rosenbaum said. "Strikingly, pledgers are less likely than similar non-pledgers to use condoms and also less likely to use any form of birth control."

The findings were published in the January issue of the journal Pediatrics.

For the study, Rosenbaum collected data on 934 high school students who had never had sex or had taken a virginity pledge. The data came from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.

Rosenbaum matched students who had taken a virginity pledge with those who hadn't. After five years of follow-up, those who had taken a pledge did not differ from teens who hadn't taken a pledge in rates of premarital sex, oral or anal sex, or sexually transmitted diseases.

Teens who had taken a pledge had 0.1 fewer sex partners during the past year, but the same number of partners overall as those who had not pledged. And pledgers started having sex at the same age as non-pledgers, Rosenbaum found.

The study also found that teens who took a virginity pledge were 10 percent less likely to use a condom and less likely to use any other form of birth control than their non-pledging counterparts.

"Sex education programs for teens who take pledges tend to be very negative and inaccurate about condom and birth control information," Rosenbaum said.

The study also found that, five years after taking a virginity pledge, more than 80 percent of pledgers denied ever making such a promise. "This high rate of disaffiliation may imply that nearly all virginity pledgers view pledges as nonbinding," Rosenbaum said.

She said teens who are religious tend to delay having sex, but that has nothing to do with virginity pledges or abstinence-only sex education programs.

Bill Albert, chief program officer for The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, said teens need to be encouraged to delay having sex, but they also need to be given the facts about safe sex.

"When pledgers fell off the wagon, they fell off hard," he said. "What have we gained if we encourage young people only to delay sex until they are older, but when they do become sexually active, they don't protect themselves or their partners?"

"The notion that it has to be either a virginity pledge or encouraging teens to have sex is a false dichotomy," Albert added. "There is a public consensus in this country to encourage teens to delay sex, but also provide them with information about contraception."
http://health.usnews.com/articles/he...y-pledges.html

Gee, what a surprise! Teens have sex regardless of pieces of paper! Who would have thought!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
musicjustin1
Genin

musicjustin1 is infamous around these parts
Re: Teens don't keep virginity pledges; pledgers use less birth control

teens dont have to have sex. they can just mastubate

I know without our fans and the devotion of our fans we wouldn't be here. I don't mean to put them down, but I'm just stating a fact that it is hard to play to people that see you all the time and it takes a lot of fun out of it in some ways.

PART OF THE UZUMAKI FC

musicjustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
musicjustin1
Genin

musicjustin1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjustin1 View Post
teens dont have to have sex. they can just mastubate
very common

I know without our fans and the devotion of our fans we wouldn't be here. I don't mean to put them down, but I'm just stating a fact that it is hard to play to people that see you all the time and it takes a lot of fun out of it in some ways.

PART OF THE UZUMAKI FC

musicjustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

You're obviously a virgin, saying sex can easily be replaced with masturbating (that, or you've been doing it wrong). Also, there's an edit button for a reason. Do not double post.

Most of the time there isn't even a piece of paper, it's just a verbal "promise". Most of them don't even take it seriously, and those who do often put themselves into a situation in which they will be incapable of resisting the temptation (because they're stupid like that). Since these people never plan on it and just do it right then and there, they of course have to birth control handy.

I didn't make any "promise" like this, but I made a decision and I've stuck with it so far. (Any n00bz who are thinking "dood u just can't get no pussy LOLOLOL", please don't bother saying anything as you will only provide concrete evidence of your ignorance around NL)
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Since these people never plan on it and just do it right then and there, they of course have to birth control handy
To add onto that, a lot of teens aren't taught about safe sex.[I'm going to be working off of bible thumbing idiot children[and those that lack sexual education] that I personally know at this point, and my views are only mine, not everyone's, and are strictly for the fucktards my age that I happen to live around.]

They're only told that sex is bad, if you have it you're going to go to hell, because sexual impurity is the most heinous act against one's body... or some shit. They have no comprehension of safe sex... maybe of products themselves, but the importance of them is a moot point, sadly.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Gamr1469
Chuunin

Gamr1469 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
They're only told that sex is bad, if you have it you're going to go to hell, because sexual impurity is the most heinous act against one's body... or some shit. They have no comprehension of safe sex... maybe of products themselves, but the importance of them is a moot point, sadly.
Exactly!!!
if u tell a teenager that something(sex) is wrong and they shouldn't do it(sex), what do they do???
We rebel...and having sex is just another form of rebeling

If you are one of the 100% of people who hate Naruto Fillers. Put this in your tag
99.99 percent of the time fillers
1) make no sense
2) contridict the canon material
3) make my head hurt

Myspace--------->
www.myspace.com/gamr1469

(ps if u r goin to add me plz tell me u added me through the forum)
Gamr1469 is offline   Reply With Quote