Obama urges longer school hours - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Narutodemon
Rise of Darkness

Narutodemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Obama urges longer school hours

http://www.kansascity.com/444/story/1078454.html

Last edited by Narutodemon; 03-16-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Narutodemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
LonelyNinja

Re: Obama urges longer school hours

Sounds like a good idea to me. Same goes for merit pay for teachers.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

Indeed. Teachers need more money, otherwise there is no incentive for smart people to join up. The max around these parts is $45K and that's a glass ceiling for a 20+year teacher.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

School if for squares.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Gamr1469
Chuunin

Gamr1469 is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly i never thought i would want longer school hours...but after listening and thinking about it, its not that bad of an idea

If you are one of the 100% of people who hate Naruto Fillers. Put this in your tag
99.99 percent of the time fillers
1) make no sense
2) contridict the canon material
3) make my head hurt

Myspace--------->
www.myspace.com/gamr1469

(ps if u r goin to add me plz tell me u added me through the forum)
Gamr1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Hurricane Chronicles
Hunter-Nin

Hurricane Chronicles is a jewel in the roughHurricane Chronicles is a jewel in the roughHurricane Chronicles is a jewel in the roughHurricane Chronicles is a jewel in the roughHurricane Chronicles is a jewel in the rough

Longer School hours i do not agree but i voted for Obama so I support it. Its just not every kid needs longer school hours, but for a good amount of kids this would be helpful.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Merit pay is a brilliant idea. What's wrong with being rewarded for excelling at your job, especially if it's something as important as education?

I oppose longer school hours though. I don't believe less time in school is the reason American students have worse grades than foreign ones. It's because our education system is so good, Americans take it for granted. In Japan, for example, about 1/4 of students make it into college; that's why they study so diligently, and even go to cram school in their free time. In America, as long as you actually take school seriously, you'll most likely get passing grades and get into college. Some kids see that and figure you can get by putting in minimal effort, which is untrue. What we need is a change in the way the bad students think about school, something I don't see happening.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
aeondrift
Genin

aeondrift is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Asia, things are highly competitive leading to a mentality of "survivor of the fittest", and lots of stressed out, unhappy and suicidal people -- ok that's an exaggeration. :P

Here, unskilled worker are paid peanuts due to a much lower minimum wage. Thus w/o education, you'll have a higher chance of being doomed to poverty; that is unless you're resourceful, smart and driven enough to succeed.

Shinobi, yes I do see your arguments but what do you reckon? That America create less college so that student have to fight for places? And then lower minimum wage so that people would work harder to ensure a stable and more secure future?
aeondrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
DaPhenom89
Academy Student

DaPhenom89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm gonna have to disagree with Shinobi High school was a joke for me I had each and every credit I needed for my high school diploma by the end of my junior year. In my senior year i cut classes a lot and I sill graduated with an 80 average. You don't have to work hard at all to pass a class the bare minimum will get you good grades.

I think they need to hire better teachers and make the classes more difficult. It is way to easy to get through High school in some places and it leaves you somewhat unprepared for college. I also like the idea of paying good teachers more money because many teachers are unprepared or they don't do anything that is helpful to the students.
DaPhenom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeondrift View Post
Shinobi, yes I do see your arguments but what do you reckon? That America create less college so that student have to fight for places? And then lower minimum wage so that people would work harder to ensure a stable and more secure future?
I can't make any suggestions. Like I said, I don't see the situation changing any time soon. Also, I never mentioned minimum wage.

@DaPhenom: Don't be stupid. One exception doesn't obviate my argument. I myself am an exception to that I said, but it doesn't matter, because I meant in general. And in general, if you blow off assignments and skip school, you fail. Prove me wrong.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight View Post
Merit pay is a brilliant idea. What's wrong with being rewarded for excelling at your job, especially if it's something as important as education?

I oppose longer school hours though. I don't believe less time in school is the reason American students have worse grades than foreign ones. It's because our education system is so good, Americans take it for granted. In Japan, for example, about 1/4 of students make it into college; that's why they study so diligently, and even go to cram school in their free time. In America, as long as you actually take school seriously, you'll most likely get passing grades and get into college. Some kids see that and figure you can get by putting in minimal effort, which is untrue. What we need is a change in the way the bad students think about school, something I don't see happening.
Having parents cooperating with the school's and working with their kids would also help increase the number of students passing with good grades. People just like to blame their kids failures on the public school system because they are too ashamed to blame themselves. I'm also for the Merit pay. God knows how many awesome teachers I've come along by and they get crappy pay. Not only that but they have to deal with a lot of the bull shit rules the school puts and the nonsense from kids. They more than deserve.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*

Last edited by Spiegel; 03-19-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

More government control in education = bad.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Narutodemon
Rise of Darkness

Narutodemon is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why we take classes when we are junior senior year so we can be prepared for college, but i do not believe in the longer school hours. But i like the idea of teachers getting their merit pay and stuff like that.

EDIT: Our classes at my school are only like 48 mins. long.

Last edited by Narutodemon; 03-20-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Narutodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of

I'm all up for teachers getting a pay raise, they need it.

But longer school hours? Oh fuck no. Lol, an hour and a half for one class is too long now. I'm in school for too long as it is.

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
shippuuden101
Genin

shippuuden101 is an unknown quantity at this point

and i told everyone not to vote/support him. They did and now look what happend\

I am getting all A's and B's and I am an advanced student. Why should I have to go to school longer cuz everyone else fails at life

Last edited by shippuuden101; 03-19-2009 at 09:51 PM.
shippuuden101 is offline   Reply With Quote