Is OP worth reading? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
DGLG
Hunter-Nin

DGLG has a spectacular aura aboutDGLG has a spectacular aura aboutDGLG has a spectacular aura aboutDGLG has a spectacular aura about
Is OP worth reading?

I was considering reading OP.
My girlfriend who is an anime addict and a couple of friends who are also anime addicts keeps saying that OP is crap and is not worth reading nor watching.
They say that is has 0 character development, no story at all(like that one piece they are looking for is forgotten after some time) and that in manga the battle scenes are really bad made so that you can't figure out what's going on.
Is it really that bad or is it worth reading?
DGLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
The Madness
Passion Rules

Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,771 Posts
The Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really nice
Re: Is OP worth reading?

OP is gay.

But one piece is pretty good.
The Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Madness For This Useful Post:
DGLG (05-20-2009), Mal (05-20-2009), Shrike (05-20-2009)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
DGLG
Hunter-Nin

DGLG has a spectacular aura aboutDGLG has a spectacular aura aboutDGLG has a spectacular aura aboutDGLG has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness0308 View Post
OP is gay.

But one piece is pretty good.
So is t true that they have no real story and no character development?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,769 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

The first 40-50 episodes is about Luffy gather his crew together to start on their voyage to get to the Grand Line. Every character introduced has a lengthy backstory and story arc as a way to get to know the character on an emotional level to see why they are pirates and what they are striving for. Saying that One Piece doesn't have character development is an understatement. As far as story goes the main theme is of course to find One Piece and for the characters to reach their desired goals and its told in a that shows their growth as a crew and individually. Personally I find One Piece to be better than Naruto and Bleach mostly because the plot isn't screwed over like Naruto and Bleach. I would read and watch the anime if I where you.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiegel For This Useful Post:
DGLG (05-20-2009)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
The Madness
Passion Rules

Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,771 Posts
The Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLG View Post
So is t true that they have no real story and no character development?
It's just another Shonen clone.

Misfit kid with an unknown ancestory that helps him with his 'struggle'
Every battle is always won by the skin of their teeth. Nobody dies. You don't get drawn in to any of the characters. Everyone gets stronger with each arc, but not normal stronger, just more world shattering stronger.
The Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Madness For This Useful Post:
DGLG (05-20-2009)
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
balmung5000
cpas

Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,982 Posts
balmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura about

op sucks read something
manly like
berserk
balmung5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to balmung5000 For This Useful Post:
DGLG (05-20-2009), Jaxon (05-20-2009), Playa (05-20-2009), Shrike (05-20-2009), Spiegel (05-20-2009)
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,769 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmung5000 View Post
op sucks read something
manly like
berserk
I wouldn't go that far but Berserk is epic. Seen the anime going to read the manga next.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
DGLG
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmung5000 View Post
op sucks read something
manly like
berserk
Reading Berserk for quite some time now
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
balmung5000
cpas

Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,982 Posts
balmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura aboutbalmung5000 has a spectacular aura about

deadman wonderland
hellsing
veretas

all mangas better then OP
balmung5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Tsuna
♪S♥NE~소녀시대♪♪

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,137 Posts
Tsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond repute

Just because they're anime addicts that doesn't mean they know their stuff rofl... but agreed, OP fails. Listen to Bal, he has good taste.
Tsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

One Piece has soul. Out of shonen manga, it's the best. Naruto is shit, Bleach is shit. However, shonen manga is a demographic for kids from middle school to high school. Authors writing shonen manga are catering to minors, and therefore have limited content.

Better manga is written for adults, i.e. are seinen manga. Like Berserk.

Also I'm pretty sure your friends are too stupid to appreciate underlying themes in a story, or have no idea how to suspend disbelief. There's more to a story than battles, plot, and characters.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
mogle42
Genin

mogle42 is an unknown quantity at this point

im an alky beer is for pussys.

anyway op is very good espically the longer you follow as of the past year its been very good. very unexpected but like others said very similar to others in genre. imo stands far above the ones ive followed (not saying much there).

yes it is geared toward a younger crowd but bc its linked to naruto and bleach it must be crap. im guessing if its not deathnote its crap?
mogle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
Joaquin8911

Joaquin8911 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLG View Post
Reading Berserk for quite some time now
I will guess you love bersernk then, so I will recomend you Vagabond, it's the only manga at Berserk's level at story, art, characters and ..... well everything, every other manga is shit, specially shounen.

But if you still want an opinion about OP, I don't really like it, I didn't read so many chapters because I couldn't stand it, it's too childish, I don't know if the story is better than Naruto or Bleach (They're pretty much the same) but even if it is, IMO the characters, abilities and the world is too weird for my taste.

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far but Berserk is epic. Seen the anime going to read the manga next.
Start from Volume 1 if you are going to read it, while the anime covers most of Volume 3-Volume 13, there's a lot you might miss if you skip those volumes.
And you should buy it too.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
ralatone
Chuunin

ralatone is on a distinguished road

One piece is probably the best of the "Big Three" Shonen mangas. From there it's a toss up between Naruto and Bleach, depending on how good the current arc is.