Fossil Ancestor of Humans and Primates Is 47 Million Years Old - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about
Re: Fossil Ancestor of Humans and Primates Is 47 Million Years Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu men View Post
They didn't bring it to public attention for 2 years so that they could carry out research on the fossil and come to sound conclusions based on investigation, that's what scientists are meant to do.

It's as 'fishy' as lucy, and archaeopteryx specimens lol.
I understand not bringing it to public attention because they were researching it. It's the "in secret" part that makes me wonder. And last I heard Lucy, while an interesting fossil find, was disproven to be linked to humans as was once claimed. Could be wrong about Lucy, but I've read papers dissenting that Lucy was a hominid, but was in fact a separate species.
emachina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

What are they going to do in secret anyway? Fake the fossil with their super evil science powers?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja48 View Post
What are they going to do in secret anyway? Fake the fossil with their super evil science powers?
Super evil science powers? lol. Not likely. But I wouldn't put it past publicity seekers to flub tests or dispose of results that don't lead to the conclusions they wanted, all in an effort to make the fossil seem older or more important than it really is. We'll just wait and see and let scientific journals review their findings. Until that happens, these scientists are enjoying their fifteen minutes of fame.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
Matthekage
Missing-Nin

Matthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of lightMatthekage is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by emachina View Post
I wouldn't put it past publicity seekers to flub tests or dispose of results that don't lead to the conclusions they wanted, all in an effort to make the Bible seem older or more important than it really is
Just another victory for science and another nail in the creationists coffin.

Science rocks!

GOGOGO!
Matthekage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emachina View Post
Super evil science powers? lol. Not likely. But I wouldn't put it past publicity seekers to flub tests or dispose of results that don't lead to the conclusions they wanted, all in an effort to make the fossil seem older or more important than it really is. We'll just wait and see and let scientific journals review their findings. Until that happens, these scientists are enjoying their fifteen minutes of fame.
Highly unlikely, since they'd be found out pretty quickly due to the whole peer review thing. Which would ruin their careers and make them a complete joke, at best.

It's much more likely that they were spending that time making as damn sure as possible that they were right before saying anything about it, to avoid making fools of themselves.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
emachina
Jounin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Highly unlikely, since they'd be found out pretty quickly due to the whole peer review thing. Which would ruin their careers and make them a complete joke, at best.

It's much more likely that they were spending that time making as damn sure as possible that they were right before saying anything about it, to avoid making fools of themselves.
Very possible, very, very possible they poured over their notes, doted their i's and crossed their t's. I'm probably just more jaded than you all. As I gave in my examples, I remember when scientists "discovered" cold fusion. Much like these scientists, they became instant celebrities. Cashed in a bit. Enjoy their fame. Until...it was found out their experiments couldn't be duplicated.

I'm not saying these scientists are publicity seekers. But articles I've read say the media blitz they used to showcase their findings was highly unusual. That sets off my skepticism alarm. These guys could very well have all the verifiable proof they'll ever need, they feel they need some publicity to get the word out they found such an important scientific discovery, and I'm just the joker on the sidelines trying to piss on their parade. If that's the case, more power to them. I'll eat crow and flat out admit I was wrong about their intentions.

But scientific review moves slowly, slowly enough that they could cash in, do the tv talk show circuit, make a bunch of money, before the rest of scientific community could say "Wait, nope, you're findings are wrong". Has happened before, could be happening now. Just saying cause I've seen it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthekage View Post
Just another victory for science and another nail in the creationists coffin.

Science rocks!

GOGOGO!
Yawn. If you're going to accuse me of being a bible thumper, at least have the balls to flat out say it. Don't go back, edit my post, and they use some retarded cheer. I didn't bring religion into this, because quite frankly, if this is 100% valid it doesn't affect my beliefs in the slightest. In fact, all I've said about this whole deal is that these scientists could be using this to make money and gain publicity. So fuck you and go jerk off to Dawkins. Kay.

Last edited by emachina; 05-30-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #22
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Scientist just tools for the Illuminati

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
emachina (05-30-2009)
Old 05-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
emachina
Jounin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluang View Post
Scientist just tools for the Illuminati
Oh God, That made me laugh. Paul 2012!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to take into account the media bias that goes along with this kind of shit. There is a pretty huge bias from the religious against anything evolution related. "Secret studying" could simply mean "studying" with a negative twist to make it purposely sound shady. Researching and working on shit years before publicly announcing anything about it isn't uncommon or shady, after all.

There really isn't any reason to be skeptical about anything just yet. While it's a neat discovery, it isn't that awesome. So it really doesn't matter. If it ends up being "fake" or whatever, then we'll find out soon enough.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #25
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Post the cliff note version, plz.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
emachina
Jounin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
You also have to take into account the media bias that goes along with this kind of shit. There is a pretty huge bias from the religious against anything evolution related. "Secret studying" could simply mean "studying" with a negative twist to make it purposely sound shady. Researching and working on shit years before publicly announcing anything about it isn't uncommon or shady, after all.

There really isn't any reason to be skeptical about anything just yet. While it's a neat discovery, it isn't that awesome. So it really doesn't matter. If it ends up being "fake" or whatever, then we'll find out soon enough.
Agreed. We'll see where this discovery lands in a few months or so. Truth be told, I hope it is real. Massive discoveries like this are few and far between. I tend to gravitate towards spacial discoveries now, because it seems like all the really massive stuff has already been discovered here on Earth.

And, well, just yesterday scientists released details on a moderate sized black hole they're observing. Eats up more mass than two Earth's every second, if I remember correctly. While cool as hell, it's something I'll never live to see first hand. At least with this fossil, I maybe able to look at it someday.