Should school require PE for more then one year? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Darkshy
Thanatos indeed.

Darkshy is an unknown quantity at this point
Should school require PE for more then one year?

I live in America and if you do too you know that we have our problems with people being overweight. We have diets, plans, exercise machines, and miracle pills yet I feel that getting kids to be active at an early age would be best for their overall health. In middle school and high school I had to take Physical Education for only one year. In middle school the class only lasted a semester I believe and in high school the whole year. So in all the seven years I attended middle and high school I was required to only take a year and a half of P.E.

So my question is this...

Should we require students to attend P.E. more often?

Old 11-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice
Re: Should school require PE for more then one year?

No. It's not the governments job to keep people healthy. [not HURRHURRHURR THAN Y 4 TEH HELTH CUR bull, as in in-shape].

Should they then also now restrict the amount of food McDonalds has per serving? [in which case, fat asses will just buy more]. Or make it so you only CAN buy the 'healthy' amounts of food? It's not anyone but the individuals [or in this case, also the parents] fault for obesity.

Now if you were to say "they force feed my child 2lbs of lard every class", then sure, I'd be concerned and expect them to compensate for that. That's not the case. School food portions are usually reasonable, unless of course they let the little weasels start serving themselves, and even then, it's not the school's fault.

No one makes anyone over-eat, therefore, it shouldn't be anyone else's responsibility to fix that they're fat or make them be more active. They'd just be bums, move less at home, and eat more after.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Vanity, who said it had to be a question of the role of government? Are you sure he wasn't looking at it as an ethical problem?

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-26-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Lalalila
Missing-Nin

Thanked 1,101 Times in 752 Posts
Lalalila will become famous soon enoughLalalila will become famous soon enough

Year and half of P.E. in 7 years?! LOL!!! In my country we have 3 hours in week from first class to the end of school, even if you want to study you have 2 hours of P.E. in week
Lalalila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Wait. Are you for any sort of government health care? If so, you shouldn't be against preventative care. Encouraging people to be more physically fit would fall under that category. Physically fit people are at much lower risk of many illnesses compared to fat fucks, after all.

Why even have schools at all? If people are stupid than it's their fault, or their parent's fault too. Why should other people be responsible for making sure you're educated?

Physical fitness is just as important as academics as far as social productivity and social success are concerned. If you're uneducated then you're less likely to be successful. If you're plagued with chronic illnesses resulting from poor physical fitness then you're less likely to be successful as well.

And besides, promoting healthier lifestyles and physical fitness are useful things any individual can benefit from. Just as useful as knowing history or science. I say fuck yeah, make it mandatory.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (11-26-2009), Jaxon (11-26-2009), Konnaha_yellow_flash (11-27-2009), Mal (11-26-2009), Servo (11-28-2009), TheJkid (11-26-2009), Vanity (11-27-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB View Post
Vanity, who said it had to be a question of the role of government? Are you sure he wasn't looking at it as an ethical problem?
Even as an ethical problem, are we morally obligated to assist others in living their lives? Alternatively, do we have any right to force a certain lifestyle upon them?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-27-2009), Vanity (11-27-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Lalalila
Missing-Nin

Thanked 1,101 Times in 752 Posts
Lalalila will become famous soon enoughLalalila will become famous soon enough

My point was that year and half of P.E. in 7 years is definitely not enough.... thanks for warning -_-
Lalalila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

Also: Gym class isn't exactly some intensive work-out. This fact is especially true for middle schoolers. Dodgeball, obstacle courses, kickball, all those ridiculous games are both wicked fun as well as a good means for the kiddies to catch a break from the mental rigmarole that is school. At the very least, think of it as a break that is rather more constructive than recess.

Little kids need an outlet to get out their energy during school - it's all just in the presentation. School is about properly preparing kids, right? Well stay physically fit is a good thing to get used to doing.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkAztek For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-26-2009), Miburo (11-27-2009), Vanity (11-27-2009)
Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
LightDreamer
Jounin

LightDreamer is on a distinguished road

While I don't think gym should be mandatory throughout highschool I definitely think 1 1/2 years over 7 years is definitely not enough. At least for me gym was mandatory until the end of grade 9. I don't have any magic number as to how long kids should be required to take gym but whether you have "good parenting or not" kids don't realize how important physical activity is. My mom in fact begged me to take gym after I stopped taking it in grade 10 (I know so surprising for an asian mom rofl) but I stopped thinking I was too amazing to get fat (I know I was a genius child) and I definitely gained weight faster after stopping. Kids generally don't realize how important physical activity is until it's either too late or until they're older because their metabolisms are so fast when they're at that age that they think they're invincible. I know I thought I was. I was a stick as a kid and I thought I'd remain as a stick forever. wrong.

Anyways, i'm pretty sure there's scientific evidence that suggests that physical activity improves brain productivity and memory and etc. I know you guys love proof but I don't have any. Sorry? And I remember hearing somewhere that you are at your most creative right after sex. LOL I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY FIGURED THAT OUT. And Sex isn't technically the same as p.e but I thought that was interesting. WELL to sum it up gym does teach you techniques and knowledge that lasts a lifetime and if you use it wisely a long lifetime.

--
If you gave me the letters hrt you could give me [ea] to get h[ea]rt or [u] to get h[u]rt, but I'd rather have hurt than a heart without [u]
- GOD I love that. You could give me a hundred thousand million years and I wouldn't have thought of that.

--
All this time I've spent trying to change into someone you would love, I didn't notice you changed into someone I can't love anymore. Goodbye My King .

---

The adulation of strangers.
LightDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Vanity
Succumb

Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

@Mibs- We are born ignorant. Not fat. I still think it's lifestyle choices that have to be addressed. I think the idea would be brilliant, but I've been in school where parents became snarling packs of morons because their children had to sit down and do homework for more than 10 minutes. I can't imagine how much they'd rage when their lardy 13 year old sniveled about being physically exerted. If they do accept it, people still need to first find what's causing the issue and address it. Looking to school for a solution [which would suck to see that happen]isn't going to fix crappy health decisions.

Also, it IS a teacher's job to raise excitement about learning and to educate. It's what they're paid to do. I'm all for it if we start paying people to make our children fit, but we currently are not [and I don't see it happening properly/at all due to the 'recession' and all the utterly ridiculous cuts that are taking place], and I still believe parents and conditioning needs to fix it before we push it upon educational system. It is and would be useful, but not for the reason addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB View Post
Then he needs to be more specific. Seeing as school districts are run by state governments [unless something changed since the last time I checked]. If it's privately ran, then I'd imagine that they're at their right to do as they please or what they fit because they feel it's better for the kids.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What thinking?
What?

Think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-27-2009)
Old 11-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

PE should be required all throughout school. It's a course like math, science, and english. Those courses are required for 4 years to make us smarter to succeed in life, so why can't we enforce a 4 year policy of brief workouts everyday to (1) Keep kids physically active and (2) Teach them the joys and stress relief of physical exertion? Hell, my school only required 2.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freshgrease For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-27-2009)
Old 11-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

lol.

I rember there is two hours of P.E in my school for every week from primary to high school and in high school you must run at least two km in that lesson.

But we are still fat. Why?

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
Vanity
Succumb

^They're not taught self-discipline.

I honestly wish it were, I just don't see it working out that way =/ Particularly due to human beings being retarded [I mean, they let their CHILDREN who dependent blow up into Michelin men], and knowing the districts [least out here] couldn't possibly be arsed to fork out the money for this. And parents still would suck.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What thinking?
What?

Think.

Last edited by Vanity; 11-27-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

I remember having to run 12 minute miles once every six weeks with some situps and pushups to pass the class. I only had problems with the run. Then my dad would kick my ass and make me run the football stadium steps until I ran it 100 times or more. The rest of class was boring.

When I got to college I took the handball (think racquetball with solid balls and hitting them with your hands...definitely more manlier). Those bastards would bruise my hands.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #15
Konnaha_yellow_flash
Kage

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,577 Posts
Konnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to allKonnaha_yellow_flash is a name known to all

P.E. should definatly be mandatory IMO. As its already been stated Exercise offers many benifits including healthier Brain function that should help with learning so its win win.

Not trying to be Insensitive, but IMO high schoolers should fear Bullies not Gravity.

No matter how POWERFUL/STRONG you are. If you cannot CATCH your Enemy, all you POWER/STRENGTH is no more USEFUL then a squirt gun....
And if You cannot possibly TRACK/REACT to your enemies attacks to Defend yourself, then how can you possibly stop him from DEFEATING you at WILL...

MINATO "KYF" NAMIKAZE.

People live relying on they're Knowledge and Perception, and thus are bound to them.....
Those Boundaries are what they tend to accept as "Reality".....
However..... Knowledge and Perception are both ambiguous....
so "Reality" could be nothing more....
then an illusion....

ITACHI UCHIHA
Konnaha_yellow_flash is offline   Reply With Quote