Official MMA thread. - Page 4 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #46
sasorry
Genin

sasorry is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Official MMA thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I forgot about Fitch yea he's the worst one, people who cry LnP are just casual fans that only watch the sport when spike airs Knockouts of the Year program.
No it really does suck now, last UFC PPV Liddell vs Franklin? Looks like running out of ideas to me.

Knockouts in MMA are a joke as well, too many glass jaws running around being punched by arm puchers.

I've wathced MMA since royce, ken, kimo, dan and my all time favorite don frye. I can tell the pride era was the best, it is international, has team rivalries and atmosphere was intense.

Last edited by sasorry; 06-21-2010 at 04:01 PM.
sasorry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #47
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Get out.

GSP and Hughes in his prime are great examples of wrestling done right. They both are active as fuck and transition to superior positioning whenever possible. Shield's last fight against Hendo was him in mount for the majority of the fight, for fuck's sake. Even his fight with Miller, which a lot of people found boring, wasn't LnP. He was actively working to advance position there too. You'd have to be a complete fucking moron to think any of that shit is LnP.

Just curious, define LnP. Seems like not standing and trading = LnP to you. Go watch boxing, you've got a good mudhutter boxer at least.

And in MMA, you don't get a break to get your shit together whenever you get dropped. And they're not wearing pillows on their hands either. It should be pretty obvious as to why people get finished easier...

And UFC has an event like twice a month. Kinda retarded to expect every card to be godly.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
manta (06-21-2010), Servo (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #48
sasorry
Genin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
LOL. Get out.

GSP and Hughes in his prime are great examples of wrestling done right. They both are active as fuck and transition to superior positioning whenever possible. Shield's last fight against Hendo was him in mount for the majority of the fight, for fuck's sake. Even his fight with Miller, which a lot of people found boring, wasn't LnP. He was actively working to advance position there too. You'd have to be a complete fucking moron to think any of that shit is LnP.

Just curious, define LnP. Seems like not standing and trading = LnP to you. Go watch boxing, you've got a good mudhutter boxer at least.
Here is my definition. When a fighter takes down his opponent, then he makes it look as if he is punching or trying to submit the said opponent but in reality just trying to pass time and not really doing any damage because at the end of that round he would have won by just being on top.

Prime Matt Hughes, prime Tito, Couture. These guys try to end the fight at the ground while modern day fighters cept for Carwin are looking more and more like snuggies.

Edit: That's why I hate the once a month ppv format, not much anticipation. But that's just me, I would like it to be once every 3 or 5 months.

Last edited by sasorry; 06-21-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #49
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

You just said Hughes was an example of LnP. Now he's not?

And you're telling me that you don't think GSP is trying to do damage? Shields tries to do damage and open up submissions too, he just has no power. Again, you have to be pretty stupid to think that a fighter is going to work to get into a dominate position, in a goddamn fight, to chill out and look busy to win on points instead of trying to actually finish the fight and get the fuck outta there with a definite victory. That doesn't even make sense. Seriously, just think about it. I mean, holy shit.

And lol @ a boxing fan talking about not trying to finish fights when a pussy like mayweather is one of boxing's biggest draws.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #50
sasorry
Genin

Quote:
You just said Hughes was an example of LnP. Now he's not?

And you're telling me that you don't think GSP is trying to do damage? Shields tries to do damage and open up submissions too, he just has no power. Again, you have to be pretty stupid to think that a fighter is going to work to get into a dominate position, in a goddamn fight, to chill out and look busy to win on points instead of trying to actually finish the fight and get the fuck outta there with a definite victory. That doesn't even make sense. Seriously, just think about it. I mean, holy shit.

And lol @ a boxing fan talking about not trying to finish fights when a pussy like mayweather is one of boxing's biggest draws.
I said "prime" Matt Hughes in my second post, have you seen his slast few fights? Mainly him vs serra, that was the very definition of LnP. "Prime" Matt Hughes was finishing fights, not the recent one.

GSP has "okay" striking skills, Shields has none whatsoever. It's not really far fetched trying to waste time, because other than KO or submission, you can win by points. You would be surprised how many fighters have this mentality.

At least Mayweather is a draw, can sell fights, something MMA fighters should take note of. God that Sonnen guy is annoying, even stealing lines from comedians, hope AS toys with him.

And have you heard of that guy James Toney?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #51
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasorry View Post
I said "prime" Matt Hughes in my second post, have you seen his slast few fights? Mainly him vs serra, that was the very definition of LnP. "Prime" Matt Hughes was finishing fights, not the recent one.
Uh, yeah, I've seen his last few fights. He got beat up by GSP, got beat up by Alves, and stood and struck with Renzo. None of which is remotely close to LnP. His fight with Serra wasn't LnP either. It was a while ago, but I definitely remember him getting to side control and even taking Serra's back at least once. It's not the easiest thing in the world to pass and mount a successful offense against a legit BJJ blackbelt either...Also, just checked and the fight got FotN.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
GSP has "okay" striking skills, Shields has none whatsoever. It's not really far fetched trying to waste time, because other than KO or submission, you can win by points. You would be surprised how many fighters have this mentality.
Again, not standing and striking doesn't = LnP. Doesn't matter if they're high level strikers or not.

And no. No one is going to get into mount and not try to finish the fight from such a dominate position. That's beyond stupid. Not to mention that fact that your whole premise is nothing more than a baseless accusation that you can, in no way whatsoever, back up with evidence.

Once again, you have no clue as to what you're talking about.

Quote:
At least Mayweather is a draw, can sell fights, something MMA fighters should take note of. God that Sonnen guy is annoying, even stealing lines from comedians, hope AS toys with him.
And he's one of the only boxers that can. And he's a total faggot. Not really someone I'd use to boast about boxing...

Quote:
And have you heard of that guy James Toney?
Yes. I wouldn't put any money on him doing very well in his MMA ventures, personally.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #52
sasorry
Genin

Quote:
Uh, yeah, I've seen his last few fights. He got beat up by GSP, got beat up by Alves, and stood and struck with Renzo. None of which is remotely close to LnP. His fight with Serra wasn't LnP either. It was a while ago, but I definitely remember him getting to side control and even taking Serra's back at least once. It's not the easiest thing in the world to pass and mount a successful offense against a legit BJJ blackbelt either...Also, just checked and the fight got FotN.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Again, not standing and striking doesn't = LnP. Doesn't matter if they're high level strikers or not.

And no. No one is going to get into mount and not try to finish the fight from such a dominate position. That's beyond stupid. Not to mention that fact that your whole premise is nothing more than a baseless accusation that you can, in no way whatsoever, back up with evidence.

Once again, you have no clue as to what you're talking about.

And he's one of the only boxers that can. And he's a total faggot. Not really someone I'd use to boast about boxing...

Yes. I wouldn't put any money on him doing very well in his MMA ventures, personally.
I still disagree, but then you wrestle so I get where you come from. I'm more of a fan of strikers so I have a different perspective. Maybe the usage of the term "LnP" is overused now is because of the generation of fighters today come from the wrestling background, focus on submissions and neglect striking. Most fighters think they are strikers already because they knocked someone out, but the technique is awful to watch...almost disrespectful to real strikers like AS, Shogun.

And why not Floyd? He's one of the best athletes on the planet, he may be a pussy but you can't deny his skills. And he's not the only one who can sell fights, fighters with different nationalities also sell big fights for the mere fact that they represent a country.

And I hope Toney knocks Couture out. He's not really going anywhere as you said, he just wants to get paid.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #53
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Quote:
I still disagree, but then you wrestle so I get where you come from. I'm more of a fan of strikers so I have a different perspective. Maybe the usage of the term "LnP" is overused now is because of the generation of fighters today come from the wrestling background, focus on submissions and neglect striking. Most fighters think they are strikers already because they knocked someone out, but the technique is awful to watch...almost disrespectful to real strikers like AS, Shogun.
And that's what it boils down to, really. You're not a fan of the ground game. I can understand that. Bashing MMA because of your preference isn't as understandable, to put it nicely.

Logically, it's simply more intelligent to take fights to the ground. Standing, your opponent always has a puncher's chance. He is always in a position where he can fight back. It's a lot harder to knock someone out from on your back though, and nearly impossible to mount a successful offense if he's gotten side control or greater, in regards to dominate positioning. As a fighter, controlling positioning is probably the safest and smartest way to win fights, plain and simple. It's only logical that people would fight like that. (Not that everyone does. Lots of extremely successful fighters, like AS, BJ Penn, etc. don't follow that mindset.)

And of course you're not going to see as technical of striking in MMA. Strikers have to worry about being taken down, after all. Tons of shit you see in boxing just plain wouldn't be as safe to use in MMA, because you always have to worry about the shot.

Quote:
And why not Floyd? He's one of the best athletes on the planet, he may be a pussy but you can't deny his skills. And he's not the only one who can sell fights, fighters with different nationalities also sell big fights for the mere fact that they represent a country.
So? He's still a massive pussy, a racist, and an idiot. He talks shit on MMA and it's fighters, yet would get destroyed in an MMA fight. Besides, what's it matter if someone has talent if he ducks fights. And selling fights 'because they're from some country' isn't anything to brag about either. Since it says nothing of their ability or nothing positive about boxing itself.

Quote:
And I hope Toney knocks Couture out. He's not really going anywhere as you said, he just wants to get paid.
Anything is possible. I personally wouldn't put money on it happening though.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #54
sasorry
Genin

Quote:
And that's what it boils down to, really. You're not a fan of the ground game. I can understand that. Bashing MMA because of your preference isn't as understandable, to put it nicely.

Logically, it's simply more intelligent to take fights to the ground. Standing, your opponent always has a puncher's chance. He is always in a position where he can fight back. It's a lot harder to knock someone out from on your back though, and nearly impossible to mount a successful offense if he's gotten side control or greater, in regards to dominate positioning. As a fighter, controlling positioning is probably the safest and smartest way to win fights, plain and simple. It's only logical that people would fight like that. (Not that everyone does. Lots of extremely successful fighters, like AS, BJ Penn, etc. don't follow that mindset.)

And of course you're not going to see as technical of striking in MMA. Strikers have to worry about being taken down, after all. Tons of shit you see in boxing just plain wouldn't be as safe to use in MMA, because you always have to worry about the shot.

So? He's still a massive pussy, a racist, and an idiot. He talks shit on MMA and it's fighters, yet would get destroyed in an MMA fight. Besides, what's it matter if someone has talent if he ducks fights. And selling fights 'because they're from some country' isn't anything to brag about either. Since it says nothing of their ability or nothing positive about boxing itself.

Anything is possible. I personally wouldn't put money on it happening though.
Good post. I think I just have to agree to disagree.

I think the round system in the ufc is kind of meh. I prefer prides 10 minute 1st round and the refs willingness to stand up the fighters when there is "inactivity". In the ufc the refs take too long and when they finally stand them up there is like 30 seconds left of the round.

By the way, same can be said if you put AS in the ring with a B class boxer. He will get murked.

It's a positive having an international flavor especially in boxing. The talent pool is wider and so is the support. In MMA it's pretty much US, Brazil, Japan and most of Europe. The fighter of the decade is Pac, from a third-world country. So saying it doesn't equate to his ability is invalid. Duran, Azumah Nelson, Kostya Tzyu etc. are also some of the few.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #55
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Quote:
.By the way, same can be said if you put AS in the ring with a B class boxer. He will get murked.
1. Anderson Silva doesn't talk shit on boxers. Mayweather talks shit on MMA fighters, and pussied out hard when Dana White offered to have him fight Sean Sherk so that he could back up his shit talk. Point being, Mayweather is a bitch.

2. You're the one who praised AS's striking, not me. I wouldn't claim he's a high level striker compared to people who train solely for striking under striking rules.
Quote:
It's a positive having an international flavor especially in boxing. The talent pool is wider and so is the support. In MMA it's pretty much US, Brazil, Japan and most of Europe. The fighter of the decade is Pac, from a third-world country. So saying it doesn't equate to his ability is invalid. Duran, Azumah Nelson, Kostya Tzyu etc. are also some of the few.
You missed the point. You were talking about draws and said people sell fights just from being from a particular country. I said that doesn't mean shit, since if people are watching fights because of the "mere fact that the fighter represents a country" then they're not toning in because the fighter is awesome or because boxing kicks ass. They'd be watching because of the "mere fact that the fighter represents their country." That's what YOU said. Don't twist it into something else now to make what you originally said sound less stupid.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #56
sasorry
Genin

Quote:
1. Anderson Silva doesn't talk shit on boxers. Mayweather talks shit on MMA fighters, and pussied out hard when Dana White offered to have him fight Sean Sherk so that he could back up his shit talk. Point being, Mayweather is a bitch.

2. You're the one who praised AS's striking, not me. I wouldn't claim he's a high level striker compared to people who train solely for striking under striking rules.

You missed the point. You were talking about draws and said people sell fights just from being from a particular country. I said that doesn't mean shit, since if people are watching fights because of the "mere fact that the fighter represents a country" then they're not toning in because the fighter is awesome or because boxing kicks ass. They'd be watching because of the "mere fact that the fighter represents their country." That's what YOU said. Don't twist it into something else now to make what you originally said sound less stupid.
Ricky Hatton and the British bandwagon says hi.

But that's the reality. It's not your ideal world where all fans are knowledgable. They will root for a fighter because he's either a countryman or a skillful fighter. People take nationalism seriously, when they know even a said fighter is a 1/4 of their blood they will root for him. And that makes rivalries like Mexico vs Puerto Rico so great. And yes they are draws, when you watch Pac vs Hatton what do you see? Pinoys and Brits. They will blindly follow and root for their countrymen.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #57
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,404 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

So I watched Fedor's fights against Fujita and Randleman on le YouTube. DAT RIGHT HOOK and DAT SUPLEX. What impressed/awed me more was Fedor still winning.

Alright, that's pretty much the only MMA I've watched in recent memory. No idea what's coming up.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #58
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

OK so this sasorry guy says thinks that AS has good striking? I mean fuck the guy has destroyed a few opponents but he's not a boxer. Use BJ Penn as a better example for a boxing fight even a box trainer (don't remember the name the dude that speaks weird) said that BJ has really good boxing skill and he would transition nicely to boxing. Do you know who BJ Penn is sasorry?

Also:

Quote:
No it really does suck now, last UFC PPV Liddell vs Franklin? Looks like running out of ideas to me.

Knockouts in MMA are a joke as well, too many glass jaws running around being punched by arm puchers.

I've wathced MMA since royce, ken, kimo, dan and my all time favorite don frye. I can tell the pride era was the best, it is international, has team rivalries and atmosphere was intense.
So you rapidly assume a PPV is bad just from it's name? If you watched it, it was one of the best UFC events on the year so far. I take it you don't watch WEC too because the names don't interest you, just a casual fan from the Pride era.

You mentioned six boxers that you think are exciting I could mention you a shit ton of mma fighters that can bring it everytime and make you stay at the edge of your seat but I guess you only see main events and call it crap if it goes bad.

Now I'm not an UFC fan I loved Pride a lot but it is gone so now I'm looking at the next best thing, right now it is not the UFC it is WEC and WEC right now is I think at the level of excitment that Pride had.

To me right now WEC>UFC & DREAM>Bellator>Strikeforce>>>>>>>>>>>box ing.

But opinions...

Also don't say that I don't watch boxing at all, In my country boxing is one of the most watched sports, if there is a boxing match every one is bound to be watching it. And I've seen most of these last events (except last night I was watching WEC) and honestly I can't stand it anymore. Boxing is dying and when Cotto, Judah and Pac get out it will be dead. I remember in the old days boxing was exciting Trinidad vs De la Hoya wow FOTY and it is still talked, Mike Tyson days and Diego Corrales(RIP) old fights were awesome but face it boxing is dying fast and now MMA is at full steam taking the show.

Last edited by manta; 06-21-2010 at 11:02 PM.
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-21-2010), Servo (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #59
sasorry
Genin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
So I watched Fedor's fights against Fujita and Randleman on le YouTube. DAT RIGHT HOOK and DAT SUPLEX. What impressed/awed me more was Fedor still winning.

Alright, that's pretty much the only MMA I've watched in recent memory. No idea what's coming up.
That suplex by Randleman was sick, can't imagine what would've happen if Fedor's head landed on concrete.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #60
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Also if you call MMA fighters for having a glass jaw, how? I mean those gloves don't have much padding getting hit with it is hard dude take one to the chin and come back saying it was nothing damn. The american promoters are more concerned in the health of the fighters since the sport is relatively new in america it still need to be seen as a safe sport. Meanwhile in Japan fighters take a shit ton of hits without quitting (Rampage vs Silva 1 and 2) and the ref doesn't stop the fight until he lost consciousness, very different from here. Also from the last UFC events it looks like the ref (or could be just Herb Dean) are standing fighters more quickly now.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-21-2010), Servo (06-21-2010)