Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion? - Page 6 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums



Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Talk about your theories here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #76
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
Stealing would be ok unless it happened to you. Then it would become immoral again. So do you define is as things you don't want others to do to you?
Not necessarily. I could simply accept the consequences for not protecting my belongings from theft well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB View Post
A government is establish to protect the initiation of force in those extreme circumstances where stealing would "seem" to be or is in fact rational. The thing is, other people might also feel it is rational to steal your property. With a government set up, it makes it less rational to steal, and it makes your property safer.
I dunno. I can rationalize and argue the virtues of stealing for the individual doing the stealing. If they feel the rewards are greater than the risks, and take pride in their abilities as a thief, then why shouldn't they steal? It's something they take pride in doing, and something that they obtain happiness from.

Yeah, you're right in that the risks may make it less rational. But there are instances where the risks are greatly diminished for various reasons, that aren't all that uncommon or extreme. I'm sure I could research the security measures used in stores and get away with shoplifting without much risk of getting caught if I really put the effort into it.

And I'm sure a lot of people would rather have their property be safer over being able to steal. But I'd bet there are people who would rather steal and protect their own property themselves. That's more of a difference in priorities between people.
Quote:
I would say that stealing is rational in life-boat circumstances. I think, when forming a reality for living in the "real world," those instances can be somewhat neglected. If you are on an island and there is only enough food for one person, it is moral to kill off the others. For the sake of our morality, it should be fine say that cold-blooded murder is irrational.

And what is the essence of a life-boat circumstance? In those cases, no one really wins. You might survive, but will you really be happy afterward? Life isn't full of life-boat circumstances, and it is full of situations where everyone can win if they act rationally.
I think an objective morality should apply in all circumstances, even if they're extremely rare. Otherwise it would only really apply to a current societies way of living, instead of universally among all human beings. That's why I think it has to be kept vague, and only applied contextually like you said earlier.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (07-12-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (07-13-2010)


Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #77
RNB
El Topo
 
RNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 1,169
Thanks: 3,293
Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
I dunno. I can rationalize and argue the virtues of stealing for the individual doing the stealing. If they feel the rewards are greater than the risks, and take pride in their abilities as a thief, then why shouldn't they steal? It's something they take pride in doing, and something that they obtain happiness from.
You can earn the same amount of money and pride doing other activities that are less risky. In the long run, making a career out of theft is not a good idea for anyone who lives in the United States.

Quote:
Yeah, you're right in that the risks may make it less rational. But there are instances where the risks are greatly diminished for various reasons, that aren't all that uncommon or extreme. I'm sure I could research the security measures used in stores and get away with shoplifting without much risk of getting caught if I really put the effort into it.
You could do that, or you just earn the money and then buy the item you want. The latter way means you don't have to lie about where you got the item from and other stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong. If it is rational to steal in an instance, then it is moral. I just would like to point out that this is pretty unlikely.

Quote:
And I'm sure a lot of people would rather have their property be safer over being able to steal. But I'd bet there are people who would rather steal and protect their own property themselves. That's more of a difference in priorities between people.
There probably are people that would rather steal. Whether it is better for them to do so, especially for a whole lifetime, is a moral question.

Quote:
I think an objective morality should apply in all circumstances, even if they're extremely rare. Otherwise it would only really apply to a current societies way of living, instead of universally among all human beings. That's why I think it has to be kept vague, and only applied contextually like you said earlier.
The morality itself should be vague, but I am saying that if people want generalizations then one has to think of what a common context would be. I think we can definitely tell the person that murder is wrong.
__________________
"Nature loves to be hidden."

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
Law&Order (07-13-2010), Miburo (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #78
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Wow - the level of intelligence is reaching critical mass... I guess it balances out in the sister thread to this debate.

The idea of objective morality was best put earlier by RNB as pleasure = good vs pain = bad (and I apologize - my metaphysics was never that strong and so I see this primarily in a biological context as before). The basic selfish biological drives can guide behaviour whether both consciously and subconsciously across most social or interacting species. Simplistically, it's the same sort of learning children go through when they learn not to touch hot. Hot brings pain, don't do it again.

The idea of stealing becomes far more complex because we have very specific definitions around the act. But if define it as cheating or lying, you then find context for it outside of humanity. Cheaters are those who try to either dupe fellows into aiding them and then not reciprocating, or to take more than their share by distracting others. Naturally, much like the thief who takes your money, there is big short term gains. But in the long term, the cheaters are identified and their success drops and their fellows will even shun them. (Generalization of Evolutionary Game Theory which basically demonstrates that cooperators come out ahead in the long run - Wiki actually does a decent job of the Tit for Tat reasoning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_tat)

How does that apply to society? Well, even though I would agree that most morals now have subjective definitions (and some are purely so based on culture - don't eat beef? Crazy.), the basis comes back to the simple pain v. pleasure or if you will the Golden Rule. Stealing has been unanimously set up as amoral because it causes suffering to one end. As for the stealer, even if there were no punishment, trust and membership to the society would be inevitably cut by individuals (assuming he was caught, of course) who would fear a similar suffering if they were to trust the stealer, which would mean short term gain and long term loss for the thief. Instincitvely, it makes sense. Many other of societies norms will fall into a similar pattern. Humans have just added complexity to the simple instinct - language, customs, social strata, legal systems/deterrents etc. that muddies the waters a little when talking about morality.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-12-2010), RNB (07-12-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (07-13-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #79
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,723
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

I don't care what anyone else in this thread has said, I'm just going to answer the question: Yes.

In fact, religion often gets in the way of living a moral life.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (07-13-2010), Miburo (07-12-2010), RNB (07-12-2010), SilverbladeVI (07-12-2010)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #80
SilverbladeVI
Missing-Nin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 3,201
Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,116 Posts
SilverbladeVI has a spectacular aura aboutSilverbladeVI has a spectacular aura aboutSilverbladeVI has a spectacular aura aboutSilverbladeVI has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

^ I have to agree with Mal on this one.

But anyways.

Humans been here for about millions of years and we do the same exact thing with religion or without reilgion. So therefore it is possible for man to survive without reiligion, because man has been surviving for millions of years.

WHICH IS
Learn, Grow, Survive, etc..

A religion appoints you to a series of beliefs for you to take under your belt and to obey them. If not religion states that there will be consequences.
SilverbladeVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #81
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage
 
stubborn_d0nkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 12,579
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

@Mibs. It seems to me that we disagree on some more fundamental things concerning nurture, reasoning, morality, etc. This is why a consensus is far away. If the discussion would have gone through its natural path we would have probably worked our way down to those fundamental things, had a lengthy argument there, then upon any consensus worked our way back up. I don't really see a more probable course of the argument (if a true consensus was to be achieved). It would be too lengthy, I would probably be too lazy, and anyways, it's not a discussion about the main question. So I say we agree to disagree about the swayed topic, and leave it at agreeing that a man can be moral without religion.
__________________
I am THE stubborn_d0nkey, thou shalt not have other stubborn donkeys before me.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide


1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag


2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4



Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4


Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)


Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #82
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!
 
Law&Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 511
Thanks: 70
Thanked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB View Post
I would highly suggest not using faith to describe confidence in this thread. It makes it seem as if you are talking about religious faith, which is different than what you are trying to describe.

I have confidence in the logic. You are absolutely right on that. However, their is a huge difference between having confidence in A=A and having confidence that in an invisible god. I have confidence that A cannot be non-A because that contradict logic itself. My statement, "that would contradict logic itself" would have no meaning. Language has no meaning without confidence in logic. There is no such thing as "meaning" without confidence in logic. There is no such thing as "definition" without logic.

Try and refute the idea of contradiction itself. That's impossible, because in order to do so you have to find a contradiction somewhere.
Yes, I understand 100% what you are saying and agree fully. But at the same time my argument/debate is with the futility of the original question. Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion? I have said that this is impossible to debate. Religion follows no logic and is up to each persons interpretation (as Milburo has been so kindly pointing out). So that what one man considers immoral another man will consider moral. You can never have total agreement on anyone living a moral life. Where I was going with Faith or if you like as you said earlier Belief (since some base their beliefs on others words, while others base it on logic) is the only way to approach the question.

"Is it possible for man to live a moral life without Belief in "____Insert Your Belief____". This way you can enter in every belief possible and calculate if everyone were to hold my same belief would we all end up with the same moral code. To make short work of it any non-logical belief you can define as A=/=A, therefore every man is free to define A as he pleases but never will every man define it as the same thing. It is my personal belief that there is only one Belief that would lead everyone to reach the same moral code. Complete Self Dependence based in as you said logic. Where a man's wealth is created through the ability of his mind, and he has no moral obligation to provide or care for anyone other than himself. That failure for a man to produce to grow to gain knowledge would be failure for him to exist. People will say what if stealing was your ability. I would argue that they have violated their first belief and don't belong in the model. That Complete Self Dependence would eliminate the need to loot another mans abilities, wealth or his mind. That if you wanted what he had you would earn it. That force would no longer be needed because the greatest weapon anyone has is his mind.

Basically I disliked the original question and looked to push the discussion in a different direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order
Stealing would be ok unless it happened to you. Then it would become immoral again. So do you define is as things you don't want others to do to you?
Not necessarily. I could simply accept the consequences for not protecting my belongings from theft well enough.
That would be shifting blame, but it doesn't mean you would accept it. It would be immoral for you to accept blame for another man's action. To accept fault that your property your wealth was taken from you via force. And that justifying the theif's immorality would be a greater disservice to yourself and your livelihood by creating a society of acceptance for others who turn to immoral actions for survival; which in turn would leave you more vulnerable to continued looting. You could pretend to accept it maybe but you would know deep within yourself that the act committed was immoral. That it was wrong for another take what they had not earned no matter the reason. To accept immorality as just the way it is and to give it justification is worse than being immoral.
__________________
- The Facts of Life -

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."




Last edited by Law&Order; 07-13-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #83
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
@Mibs. It seems to me that we disagree on some more fundamental things concerning nurture, reasoning, morality, etc. This is why a consensus is far away. If the discussion would have gone through its natural path we would have probably worked our way down to those fundamental things, had a lengthy argument there, then upon any consensus worked our way back up. I don't really see a more probable course of the argument (if a true consensus was to be achieved). It would be too lengthy, I would probably be too lazy, and anyways, it's not a discussion about the main question. So I say we agree to disagree about the swayed topic, and leave it at agreeing that a man can be moral without religion.
Uh, I'll agree that we do disagree. But not as any sort of acknowledgment that your stance on the matter has any merit. I think I've presented a good case in regards to my stance, and if you don't wish to attempt to counter it, then whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
That would be shifting blame, but it doesn't mean you would accept it. It would be immoral for you to accept blame for another man's action. To accept fault that your property your wealth was taken from you via force. And that justifying the theif's immorality would be a greater disservice to yourself and your livelihood by creating a society of acceptance for others who turn to immoral actions for survival; which in turn would leave you more vulnerable to continued looting. You could pretend to accept it maybe but you would know deep within yourself that the act committed was immoral. That it was wrong for another take what they had not earned no matter the reason. To accept immorality as just the way it is and to give it justification is worse than being immoral.
I don't consider it as shifting blame any more than I would if I was beaten in a wrestling match and accepted my defeat. If someone is able to steal my shit, then I obviously didn't protect my shit well enough from possible thefts. Facing up to that fact, and it is a fact, isn't immoral. In fact, I could easily argue that not acknowledging that fact would be a disservice to myself, and leave me more vulnerable to future looting. I can more easily control my own actions than those of others. By analyzing my own shortcomings which lead to allowing myself to be stolen from, I could use that information to become much better prepared to stop or prevent further attempts of theft. Accepting a part of the responsibility is much more useful to me than placing the blame fully on the thief.


And don't get me wrong here. I'm not actually condoning theft. I'm simply saying that one could likely argue for the morality of stealing when operating under certain proposed moral systems. For example: Yes, there are less dangerous professions than thievery. Does that make it immoral? I dunno. Is construction work immoral since there are less dangerous professions, comparatively speaking? Etc. It's actually quite hard to argue a case against it when operating under the system we were discussing in this thread. And I actually support that system myself, so I'm not trying to discredit it or anything. But when I think about it myself, I work to make sure it's as valid as possible in my head. So I try to argue against it, and I sometimes can. Which is why I'm hesitant to fully adopt the stance as entirely with merit myself. That's pretty much all I was trying to say, really.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
RNB (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #84
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage
 
stubborn_d0nkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 12,579
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Uh, I'll agree that we do disagree. But not as any sort of acknowledgment that your stance on the matter has any merit. I think I've presented a good case in regards to my stance, and if you don't wish to attempt to counter it, then whatever.
You did make a good stance, I can't counter it since we (IMO) obviously disagree on some more fundamental things (premises if you wish). That makes the discussion kinda pointless

It's like how a discussion about if a woman has the right to an abortion without agreement from the future father, is kinda pointless if the two sides have a different stance about if a woman has the right to an abortion in general.

I know its not a good example but you are intelligent enough to understand what I mean.


However if you have a great desire to continue such a discussion, I am willing to endure the lengthy path I described in my previous post.
__________________
I am THE stubborn_d0nkey, thou shalt not have other stubborn donkeys before me.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide


1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag


2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4



Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4


Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)


Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #85
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
However if you have a great desire to continue such a discussion, I am willing to endure the lengthy path I described in my previous post.
I honestly can't say I have a great desire to discuss much of anything intellectual with you in particular. Though, I'd probably drudge through it, knowing that I'd likely get to call you stupid lots. Which would make it much more bearable.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Mal (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #86
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!
 
Law&Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 511
Thanks: 70
Thanked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
I don't consider it as shifting blame any more than I would if I was beaten in a wrestling match and accepted my defeat. If someone is able to steal my shit, then I obviously didn't protect my shit well enough from possible thefts. Facing up to that fact, and it is a fact, isn't immoral. In fact, I could easily argue that not acknowledging that fact would be a disservice to myself, and leave me more vulnerable to future looting. I can more easily control my own actions than those of others. By analyzing my own shortcomings which lead to allowing myself to be stolen from, I could use that information to become much better prepared to stop or prevent further attempts of theft. Accepting a part of the responsibility is much more useful to me than placing the blame fully on the thief.


And don't get me wrong here. I'm not actually condoning theft. I'm simply saying that one could likely argue for the morality of stealing when operating under certain proposed moral systems. For example: Yes, there are less dangerous professions than thievery. Does that make it immoral? I dunno. Is construction work immoral since there are less dangerous professions, comparatively speaking? Etc. It's actually quite hard to argue a case against it when operating under the system we were discussing in this thread. And I actually support that system myself, so I'm not trying to discredit it or anything. But when I think about it myself, I work to make sure it's as valid as possible in my head. So I try to argue against it, and I sometimes can. Which is why I'm hesitant to fully adopt the stance as entirely with merit myself. That's pretty much all I was trying to say, really.
I know you're not condoning stealing. But for the sake of debating looking at having property stolen from you as if beaten in a wrestling match is a tough stretch for me to make. Maybe a WWF Wrestling match where the referee was distracted and you were knocked out with a chair style loss. Not a collegiate style match where two men meet and compete on under agreed upon terms. But yes under all but one moral system can a man's actions be debated as moral and immoral. And that is a world in which we live in. We live in world of blended ideas and views of what morality is and what is to be tolerated, etc. Where a man's need is used to try and give reason to his actions. And where a man's actions can be used against him as exceeding his needs.
__________________
- The Facts of Life -

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."



Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #87
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
I know you're not condoning stealing. But for the sake of debating looking at having property stolen from you as if beaten in a wrestling match is a tough stretch for me to make. Maybe a WWF Wrestling match where the referee was distracted and you were knocked out with a chair style loss. Not a collegiate style match where two men meet and compete on under agreed upon terms. But yes under all but one moral system can a man's actions be debated as moral and immoral. And that is a world in which we live in. We live in world of blended ideas and views of what morality is and what is to be tolerated, etc. Where a man's need is used to try and give reason to his actions. And where a man's actions can be used against him as exceeding his needs.
I am talking about real wrestling, I wouldn't do that fake ballerina shit. Lolol.

It's not like I wouldn't be aware of the fact that there are people out there that steal shit. That I should take precautions to prevent them from stealing my shit. Etc. There was a shortcoming on my end of things, just as in me losing a match. The analogy certainly applies here.

You were the one saying it would be immoral for me to admit to those shortcoming on my end. I simply disagreed, and presented a counter-argument.

Though, not really sure you're talking about the same shit RNB and I were talking about, to be honest...
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Law&Order (07-13-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #88
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!
 
Law&Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 511
Thanks: 70
Thanked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Yeah I have wandered off the path of what you two were discussing.

My question I am proposing - Is it possible for men to ever agree on what is to live a moral life?
__________________
- The Facts of Life -

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."



Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #89
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Uh...yeah.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #90
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!
 
Law&Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 511
Thanks: 70
Thanked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Uh...yeah.
How?

You and I will never agree on 100% of all scenarios. We will never agree to which actions are moral and which are immoral. You can't bring yourself to define if stealing is moral or immoral. You want to break it down to a case by case scenario. Our beliefs will keep us from ever agreeing to what is right and what is wrong. We have more common ground than Muslims and Christians do. They would have a even harder time agreeing on morality. Even factions within the same religion will have a hard time agreeing.
__________________
- The Facts of Life -

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."



Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays? Sharingan Lord Debates Section 58 04-05-2008 01:22 AM
Islam Protesting against Danish Cartoons DarkAztek Debates Section 124 12-29-2006 09:59 PM
~ In for a good, long read? Nuerhachi Niru Chit Chat 13 11-30-2006 07:20 AM
live it up, a song kakashi29 Music Talk 3 06-13-2006 09:08 PM
You all knew it was comming... ABORTION «Artos» Debates Section 372 04-26-2006 12:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.