Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion? - Page 7 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums



Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Talk about your theories here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #91
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
How?

You and I will never agree on 100% of all scenarios. We will never agree to which actions are moral and which are immoral. You can't bring yourself to define if stealing is moral or immoral. You want to break it down to a case by case scenario. Our beliefs will keep us from ever agreeing to what is right and what is wrong. We have more common ground than Muslims and Christians do. They would have a even harder time agreeing on morality. Even factions within the same religion will have a hard time agreeing.
What do you mean, how?

Is it possible for men to agree on what a moral life is? Sure. People agree about shit all the time. 'What a moral life means' isn't a magical topic where someone will be incapable of ever agreeing with someone else. People are capable of agreeing on shit. This topic isn't excluded. Kind of a stupid question, really.

If you meant to ask if every single person on the planet will ever agree on a single definition of morality, then no. Probably not. Luckily, people don't have to unanimously agree on shit for shit to be logical. In fact, people all agreeing on anything doesn't seem too important in regards to much of anything. I'm sure there are people out there that still think the world is flat. I don't give a fuck if people agree about shit or not.

If you meant something else, than I dunno what it is. I'm just going with what you actually typed there. You're kinda just throwing shit out there all randomly and shit. Not sure what your angle is.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
RNB (07-13-2010)


Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #92
Vanity
Succumb
 
Vanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 928
Thanks: 3,426
Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

I havent read all this shit yet. I'll delete this and start fresh if this has been stomped to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueUCHIHA View Post
Since i know both you and miburo arent religious I believe you are going to plead the argument that Yes, it is possible for men to lead moral lives without religion. Although i also agree with this it is to a certain extent.

Where i believe it is possible for man to live Moral lives without the aid of religion I believe now in current times that it is the fact that BECAUSE we have had so much contact with religion and we are taught what is right and wrong mostly based of these religious ideals is why men arent easily able to do so in this current age.

Also when people think religion they usually dont think past the big three. Judiasim, islam, and christianity. But these are definitely not the only religions in this world. And some of these other religions require "immoral" activities to take place in their religious practicings. What it really comes down to is who decides what is moral or immoral. Even in the Science of ethics is the term "morally acceptable" debated. For example in Deontology a morally acceptable action is based of its adherence to the laws or sets of rules that have been established by the higher order in a hierarchy. An example of this would be not taking a cookie from the cookie jar because your mother said not to. Others however believe that a morally right action is one that produces a good outcome, or consequence, this way of thinking is called teleology and an example of this would be taking a cookie from the cookie jar to feed your hungry sister, even though your mother told u not to.
I'm far too exhausted to make a huge argument on other points, so first, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, you're implying humans degrade morally without religion?

Well, on the basis of Christianity, since I'm not too far in to studying the Curan, I'm going to go ahead and say that's more than unless they're literally raised by animals, like some feral children. Even then, I'd be straining my own point.

According to the Christian faith God "imprinted" His law upon man. Even if they aren't "believers," or even influenced, there are things we supposedly want to follow by nature, regardless of conditioning. Based on that premise, man, even if he chose to rationalize other wants and desires, will always, at the very least, be plagued by his "conscience" and will know when there is a universal conduct code he's breaking.

For instance, even tribes with "uncivilized" people have underlying morals, though marred by some other cultural things. (Ya̧nomamö, for example, may be a lot of things but they have such a strong respect for their dead that a name is never to be reused or mentioned after their passing)

So, if I'm happening to make any sort of sense, even if man neglects God and religion, he's more than capable of living "morally."
__________________
My nerves are bad to-night.
Yes, bad.
Stay with me.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #93
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!
 
Law&Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 511
Thanks: 70
Thanked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
What do you mean, how?

Is it possible for men to agree on what a moral life is? Sure. People agree about shit all the time. 'What a moral life means' isn't a magical topic where someone will be incapable of ever agreeing with someone else. People are capable of agreeing on shit. This topic isn't excluded. Kind of a stupid question, really.

If you meant to ask if every single person on the planet will ever agree on a single definition of morality, then no. Probably not. Luckily, people don't have to unanimously agree on shit for shit to be logical. In fact, people all agreeing on anything doesn't seem too important in regards to much of anything. I'm sure there are people out there that still think the world is flat. I don't give a fuck if people agree about shit or not.

If you meant something else, than I dunno what it is. I'm just going with what you actually typed there. You're kinda just throwing shit out there all randomly and shit. Not sure what your angle is.
I am saying that how you define living a moral life will be different than how every other man on earth defines morality. Yeah, maybe from 5000ft away we will agree but once you get down to the minute details and situations we will disagree as to what is morally acceptable and what isn't. How do you define living a moral life? Did someone who lived 51% of their life being moral, live a moral life? The majority of his life was lived morally, was it not? Do you say there is no room for any immorality for someone to live a moral life? Where that even one instance of immorality keeps you from having lived that moral life. Where do you draw the line and the sand and say this is a moral life and this isn't? And who is to say they are right and who is wrong? Pre-marital sex is that moral and immoral? Logic says moral but their are millions of people in the world who will say its immoral. I am asking you how to determine what it means to lead a moral life and who is to say you are right or wrong? How can we even argue about being moral with or with out religion when we can't agree on the definition of what is moral or immoral?
__________________
- The Facts of Life -

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."




Last edited by Law&Order; 07-14-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #94
Vanity
Succumb
 
Vanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 928
Thanks: 3,426
Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
I am saying that how you define living a moral life will be different than how every other man on earth defines morality. Yeah, maybe from 5000ft away we will agree but once you get down to the minute details and situations we will disagree as to what is morally acceptable and what isn't. How do you define living a moral life? Did someone who lived 51% of their life being moral, live a moral life? The majority of his life was lived morally, was it not? Do you say there is no room for any immorality for someone to live a moral life? Where that even one instance of immorality keeps you from having lived that moral life. Where do you draw the line and the sand and say this is a moral life and this isn't? And who is to say they are right and who is wrong? Pre-marital sex is that moral and immoral? Logic says moral but their are millions of people in the world who will say its immoral. I am asking you how to determine what it means to lead a moral life and who is to say you are right or wrong? How can we even argue about being moral with or with out religion when we can't agree on the definition of what is moral or immoral?
So, basically, on the plane of moral relativity, morals are impossible to argue.

However, on the basis of the initial point made by the thread creator, I believe we're talking about morals affiliated to a specific religion(s). You have to work from there.

For instance:
Let's say stealing without need is immoral.

K?

K.

A man that isn't religion can indeed, live this morally, because he can easily make the decision to not be a thief. Whether it be by some personal prerogative or because he knows he has no need to.

We can apply this to a lot of religious morals. Up to and including staying a virgin until marriage.



Again, correct me if I've taken an improper turn.
__________________
My nerves are bad to-night.
Yes, bad.
Stay with me.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Law&Order (07-14-2010), Miburo (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #95
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse
 
Miburo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 3,546
Thanks: 34,399
Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
According to the Christian faith God "imprinted" His law upon man.
I've never heard this before. Just curious as to the source of this information.



And Law&Order, so when you asked this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
Is it possible for men to ever agree on what is to live a moral life?
You were really asking this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law&Order View Post
I am asking you how to determine what it means to lead a moral life and who is to say you are right or wrong? How can we even argue about being moral with or with out religion when we can't agree on the definition of what is moral or immoral?
?


How the hell was I suppose to know that, lololol?

But to answer your question, I determine what it means to live a moral life in relation to the topic of debate by going to dictionary.com and look up moral or morality, find the definition that applies to this particular context, then use that definition. So, basically a moral life is a life that is lead following principles or rules of right conduct. It doesn't matter what the rules actually are, and they don't have to be unanimously agreed upon. All that matters in regards to the topic of debate that a life is lead concerning the principles of right conduct.

This debate is basically a formal discussion based on allegations that those that aren't religious are not moral. If you're american, surely you've seen Christians on the internet or the tv say or imply that atheists are people that have no moral values. With a quick google search I'm sure I could find examples of this, if you like. This topic of debate is basically for people to argue either for or against those allegations.

If you want a specific moral system to be defined for some reason, then we could just pick any basic moral system presented in any religion and then ask if it's possible for someone to follow that moral system without believing in that religion. The answer would be still be yes. Defining a specific moral system isn't in any way required to debate the original topic of discussion though. Which is why I personally didn't do it. No need to get all pseudo-intellectual about shit by going on about "who is to say what being moral is? How do you know you're right or wrong? lol hurr." EDIT: Vanity gets it.

But yeah, that's how it's possible to debate being moral without religion, without agreeing on the definition of what is actually morally 'right and wrong.' If you want to discuss morality itself then I suppose I'm game for that. After you take your ritalin. =p
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Law&Order (07-14-2010), Vanity (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #96
Law&Order
Fear the Beard!
 
Law&Order's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 511
Thanks: 70
Thanked 146 Times in 69 Posts
Law&Order will become famous soon enoughLaw&Order will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

@ Miburo (&Vanity), I get the argument pertaining to the og question and I agree that a man can live a moral life without religion. I was going a bit deeper, yeah it is a bit of a step off the path that I have taken and am asking more to reason with someone than to try and argue points. I am having more of an argument in my head about morality than on this forum. The thing with morality that I have a problem with grasping is that there has to be an equation, a set of rules that I can apply to every situation to come up with right and wrong. This equation should hold true across the universe similar to E=MC^2, you may not believe it or understand it but it is a physical truth that every is affected by. I was raised Catholic so I base my religious knowledge off of my raising. Even following the Ten Commandments and additional teachings of the bible you will always come to a situation where two persons of catholic faith will have disagreements of the morality of a situation. That is why you elect a figure head to hold the final saying on what is right and wrong. This equation of morality will always be flawed and is like proclaiming that the world is flat when you know it isn't. But if no religion can define a set of rules to provide the basic equation for understanding morality then who can. Logic? Government? How can man come up with an equation of morality that will let every man prosper under his own ability, without hurting another man's chances of survival, while dealing with each other under a mutual agreement?

Don't confuse me with TrueUchiha as a ritalin junkie.
__________________
- The Facts of Life -

Chuck Norris can judge a book by its cover!

- Warning -
“Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise."



Law&Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #97
AndyJC
Academy Student
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AndyJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

The premise of this debate is flawed. The question should not be “Is it possible to live a moral life without religion?” but “How can religious a person or society live a moral life despite their religion?” Religion is a hindrance to living a moral life; the only way to live a moral life is to be not religious and the only way for a society to be free and just is to have secular government. The argument is a follows:

Any 21st century western person if placed in society just say 50 years ago but certainly 200 or 400 years ago would be totally appalled at the prevailing moral standards. They would find almost everyone shockingly racist and sexist; they would be appalled at the treatment of the mentally ill, children, the poor and criminals. Today everyone regards slavery as immoral but not long ago it was a subject of debate.

So it is clear that what is regarded as acceptable behaviour (moral) develops and moves forward. However, there has been no change in the ancient religious texts such as the Bible, Torah and Koran which are the supposed source of religious morality. So the source of that developing morally is clearly not the religions.

This static nature of the source of religious morally and the developing morally in society means that good well meaning religious people constantly find themselves with the dilemma of living a moral life or following the teaching of their religion i.e. religion makes it difficult to live a moral life.

As an example, the Bible clearly states in Exodus 22:18, “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live”. And for a while Christians took this seriously and set up courts to send witches to be burned at the stake. Society came to regard this as unjust and put a stop to it, it was the most pious Christians that were last to this realisation.

There are many passages on adultery but as example, Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die." Religious people have had to be dragged along every step of the way to move away from stoning to death (usually women) to the present decriminalisation of adultery.

Nowhere in the Bible is slavery condemned. In fact there are many passages that give support to slavery such as Leviticus 25:44-46, “However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you”. For most of the history of Christianity Christians, including Popes, have owned slaves. The most religious part of the USA was the place that most forcefully resisted its end. Society moved on but many Christians came along later.

At present, here in the UK, the current issue is homosexuality. Society has realised oppressing homosexuals is immoral but good Christians are struggling with their consciences as their Church once again demands adherence to an outdated bigoted stance. No doubt in a generation or two Christians will have caught up and the present attitudes will be regarded in the same way as Christian support of slavery 200 years ago is regarded now.

At a society level it is clear that freedoms enjoyed in western countries are due to the secular nature of our government. Under theocratic governments where the laws are determined by reference to religious morals then there was, is and always will be oppression and injustice. Modern Christian theocratic states are in short supply and the only examples are Islamic, but rest assured it there were modern Christian theocratic states they would have the same tendencies. So in Pakistan the punishment for changing religion is death; in Taliban Afghanistan girls weren’t even allowed to school; in Saudi Arabian women can’t drive or be seen in public without full covering of body, head and face and with the company of a male relative; and in Iran women are stoned to death for adultery (which often includes when they get raped). This is what happens when a society takes religion seriously and bases its law on the morals outlined in texts that are thousands of years old.
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #98
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage
 
stubborn_d0nkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 12,579
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

One thing:

Fucked up morals are still morals
__________________
I am THE stubborn_d0nkey, thou shalt not have other stubborn donkeys before me.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide


1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag


2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4



Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4


Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)


Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stubborn_d0nkey For This Useful Post:
ACt (08-26-2010), ninjalostboy95 (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #99
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,722
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
The premise of this debate is flawed. The question should not be “Is it possible to live a moral life without religion?” but “How can religious a person or society live a moral life despite their religion?” Religion is a hindrance to living a moral life; the only way to live a moral life is to be not religious and the only way for a society to be free and just is to have secular government. The argument is a follows:

Any 21st century western person if placed in society just say 50 years ago but certainly 200 or 400 years ago would be totally appalled at the prevailing moral standards. They would find almost everyone shockingly racist and sexist; they would be appalled at the treatment of the mentally ill, children, the poor and criminals. Today everyone regards slavery as immoral but not long ago it was a subject of debate.

So it is clear that what is regarded as acceptable behaviour (moral) develops and moves forward. However, there has been no change in the ancient religious texts such as the Bible, Torah and Koran which are the supposed source of religious morality. So the source of that developing morally is clearly not the religions.

This static nature of the source of religious morally and the developing morally in society means that good well meaning religious people constantly find themselves with the dilemma of living a moral life or following the teaching of their religion i.e. religion makes it difficult to live a moral life.

As an example, the Bible clearly states in Exodus 22:18, “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live”. And for a while Christians took this seriously and set up courts to send witches to be burned at the stake. Society came to regard this as unjust and put a stop to it, it was the most pious Christians that were last to this realisation.

There are many passages on adultery but as example, Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die." Religious people have had to be dragged along every step of the way to move away from stoning to death (usually women) to the present decriminalisation of adultery.

Nowhere in the Bible is slavery condemned. In fact there are many passages that give support to slavery such as Leviticus 25:44-46, “However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you”. For most of the history of Christianity Christians, including Popes, have owned slaves. The most religious part of the USA was the place that most forcefully resisted its end. Society moved on but many Christians came along later.

At present, here in the UK, the current issue is homosexuality. Society has realised oppressing homosexuals is immoral but good Christians are struggling with their consciences as their Church once again demands adherence to an outdated bigoted stance. No doubt in a generation or two Christians will have caught up and the present attitudes will be regarded in the same way as Christian support of slavery 200 years ago is regarded now.

At a society level it is clear that freedoms enjoyed in western countries are due to the secular nature of our government. Under theocratic governments where the laws are determined by reference to religious morals then there was, is and always will be oppression and injustice. Modern Christian theocratic states are in short supply and the only examples are Islamic, but rest assured it there were modern Christian theocratic states they would have the same tendencies. So in Pakistan the punishment for changing religion is death; in Taliban Afghanistan girls weren’t even allowed to school; in Saudi Arabian women can’t drive or be seen in public without full covering of body, head and face and with the company of a male relative; and in Iran women are stoned to death for adultery (which often includes when they get raped). This is what happens when a society takes religion seriously and bases its law on the morals outlined in texts that are thousands of years old.
The core of your argument is flawed. In order for there to be argument about the nature of morality, we have to agree that morality is absolute. What you consider moral and what is actually moral, assuming morality is absolute, are not necessarily in agreement.

If morality is absolute, where do we get our morality? We can certainly not invent it if it is an absolute truth of the universe. If morality is not absolute, who is to say what is moral and what is not? You seem to be confused in your beliefs, claiming that morality has changed over the years, yet simultaneously claiming you know the absolute morality.

I think what you call appalling "moral standards" is actually a gross misunderstanding. It is not that people were not moral, because they treated other human beings with the same respect and fairness we do today. Instead, they believed that "human beings" were a group much smaller than we believe them to be today; they excluded those of other races, genders, ages and more from their definition.

Yes, those born with mental or physical handicaps have been unbelievably mistreated by people of the past; however, those people mistreating them did not believe they were doing anything wrong. Were they amoral, or did they just misunderstand the nature of humanity or of proper methods of treatment?

There are two ways we can think of being a "moral person." One is simply "doing what is believed to be right and just," the other is "doing what is right and just, in accordance with the absolute morality." Which one do you believe and why?



I don't believe the anti-religious part of your post is really worth addressing until I understand what it is you mean by "moral."
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (08-26-2010), ninjalostboy95 (08-26-2010), Vanity (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #100
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage
 
stubborn_d0nkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Posts: 5,162
Thanks: 12,579
Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

^Practically what I said, but longer and more eloquent
__________________
I am THE stubborn_d0nkey, thou shalt not have other stubborn donkeys before me.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide


1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag


2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4



Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4


Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)


Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #101
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

@ AndyJC - the argument is not flawed. It is a simple question and by your point that "religion actually can hinder a moral life", which has actually already been made, you are answering yes to "can a man live morally without religion". What you proceeded to do was attack religion rather than make any valid points.

Still, Mal's question is a good one: what is morality? Do you feel there are absolutes we can deal with?

I don't. Morality is a shifting definition based on tradition, knowledge and stresses on a society. It has altered. History and genetics has shown us that skin colour does not make us any different as humans, so slavery, once deemed OK because dark skinned people were more beast than human, is no not moral. The issues you run into with religion is probably a denial of certain knowledge to continue with tradition. But in simple fact, they are working from different morals than you. Are you the one to say they are correct?

One example you brought up were disabled people. I ask you now, if the world continues to become overpopulated and resources start to grow thin, do you think the morality of treating disabled people as equals will continue? Is that moral sustainable?
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #102
RNB
El Topo
 
RNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 1,169
Thanks: 3,293
Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

The reason an absolute morality seems so distant from people is because the moralities that are present in our society are closely related to Kant's Categorical Imperative, where an action is good because it is good. Basically, religion hands you a code of rules and follow it. I know that people will try to debate on this, but every religion points out some mystical undefined evil and then goes about telling you what actions are evil. Some religions, like Christianity and others, will try to go about defining the evil, but it is still pretty ambiguous. People say that pride is the root of all evil, but some of apostle Paul's arguments end up arguing from a standpoint that pride is good.

So our society, after being influenced by religion, feels that the only true morality is some given code of rules. This is actually the exact opposite. A morality is complex hierarchy of rules based on one's hierarchy of values. If you want to find the essence of one's morality, you should look at their highest value since that is what the morality is trying to obtain.

If there is an absolute morality, then there must be an absolute value. To be honest, I really don't feel like debating that, but I am one that believes that there is an ultimate value in the universe, namely one's own happiness, which I already explained earlier in the thread as being the metaphysical good. for any human being. No one's morality will be completely identical, but the essence will be the same.
__________________
"Nature loves to be hidden."

- Heraclitus

Last edited by RNB; 08-26-2010 at 01:35 PM.
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
ACt (08-27-2010), Mal (08-26-2010), ninjalostboy95 (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #103
AndyJC
Academy Student
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AndyJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

The flaw I am suggesting is the premise that society gets its morality from religion, whereas the truth is that religion gets its morality from society. I described how religious teaching follows developments in civic society, religions are always behind secular society. This point does not require careful definition of morality, everyone in the US today 'knows' that slavery is wrong and that stoneing adulters to death is wrong. The thing is once these moral developments become clear religions have to go through a tortuous process of reinterpreting their ancient texts to accommodate these truths.
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #104
RNB
El Topo
 
RNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 1,169
Thanks: 3,293
Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Religion doesn't just get its morality from society. Religion either gets its morality through subconscious choice or through a lottery pick. The commands which are chosen through subconscious choice (if we can even call it a choice) are based on what one picks up through subconscious observation, which can be observation of society or nature, or etc. Those which are chosen by lottery pick are done without any influence at all except for the accidental. Either way, all are just as valuable as buying a lottery ticket because if they do happen to be right it isn't like you actually knew they were right, consciously.
__________________
"Nature loves to be hidden."

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #105
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point
 
ninjalostboy95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY, Far Rockaway(currently)
Age: 18
Posts: 5,949
Thanks: 8,419
Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,856 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
The flaw I am suggesting is the premise that society gets its morality from religion, whereas the truth is that religion gets its morality from society.
No, you're reading into the question too far. TrueUCHIHA wasn't talking about absolute morality because he doesn't even know about that. He meant morality as in what society perceives as moral. Basically if you can live a life that is moral according to society. Yes religion gained it's moralities from society but that's not the point. Absolute morality existed before society and religion. An individual has their own moral standards but may choose to follow society or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
I described how religious teaching follows developments in civic society, religions are always behind secular society.
Religion gives it's followers a set of certain rules which are absolute in their eyes(Well not all followers, but still the point stands.) TU is very religious and believes everything that the bible says in terms of moral and he thinks they are absolute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
This point does not require careful definition of morality, everyone in the US today 'knows' that slavery is wrong and that stoneing adulters to death is wrong.
Yes it does. Not everyone thought slavery was wrong(I don't mean to sound fucked up but I'm just giving an example why you shouldn't say everyone.) People in Saudi arabia still cut off the hands of thiefs(That's why their crime rate is very low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is one of the laws in the code of hammurabi, right?) Their moral standards and ways of punishment are different than ours. To the US, cutting off their hand is immoral but to Saudi arabia cutting off their hand is just so they won't do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
The thing is once these moral developments become clear religions have to go through a tortuous process of reinterpreting their ancient texts to accommodate these truths.
I disagree, if you look at the muslims, they have a sort of Bible(Forgot the name) that wasn't reinterpretted or changed to fit the morals of modern society. It stayed the way it was.

Last edited by ninjalostboy95; 08-26-2010 at 03:12 PM.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays? Sharingan Lord Debates Section 58 04-05-2008 01:22 AM
Islam Protesting against Danish Cartoons DarkAztek Debates Section 124 12-29-2006 09:59 PM
~ In for a good, long read? Nuerhachi Niru Chit Chat 13 11-30-2006 07:20 AM
live it up, a song kakashi29 Music Talk 3 06-13-2006 09:08 PM
You all knew it was comming... ABORTION «Artos» Debates Section 372 04-26-2006 12:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.