Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion? - Page 8 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums



Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Talk about your theories here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #106
AndyJC
Academy Student
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AndyJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

I'm confused by your argument. The question is "Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?" and you agree that
Quote:
"religion gained it's moralities from society"
and not the other way around, so it stands to reason you don't need religion for morality and so you don't need religion to live a moral life. That really is the end of it.

However, there is one other thing you mention that is core to the issue
Quote:
Religion gives it's followers a set of certain rules which are absolute in their eyes... TU is very religious and believes everything that the bible says in terms of moral and he thinks they are absolute
This just isn't the case. As I pointed out earlier the Bible puts forward standards of behaviour and attitudes that almost every modern American finds repellant, such as burning witches, stoning adulters and genocide (1 Samuel 15:2-3; Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." Modern Christians have had to 'reinterpret' or ignore great chunks of the Bible in order to live a moral life.

Christians don't even take the famous 10 commandments as absolutes.

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.' What about all those Christ Crosses and statues of saints and the Virgin Mary

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.' America is a 7 day a week society

SIX: 'You shall not kill.' Except for all those state executions and of cause all those wars

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's." Coveting is the very basis of capitalist, free enterprise America.

Last edited by AndyJC; 08-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #107
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,723
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
The flaw I am suggesting is the premise that society gets its morality from religion, whereas the truth is that religion gets its morality from society. I described how religious teaching follows developments in civic society, religions are always behind secular society. This point does not require careful definition of morality, everyone in the US today 'knows' that slavery is wrong and that stoneing adulters to death is wrong. The thing is once these moral developments become clear religions have to go through a tortuous process of reinterpreting their ancient texts to accommodate these truths.
So, if I am reading into this correctly, your belief concerning morality is similar to ACT's?

Please clarify so can understand your point of view when I respond to the rest of your comments.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #108
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

I'm not sure he is completely in alignment with me, but I'll check:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
The flaw I am suggesting is the premise that society gets its morality from religion, whereas the truth is that religion gets its morality from society. I described how religious teaching follows developments in civic society, religions are always behind secular society. This point does not require careful definition of morality, everyone in the US today 'knows' that slavery is wrong and that stoneing adulters to death is wrong. The thing is once these moral developments become clear religions have to go through a tortuous process of reinterpreting their ancient texts to accommodate these truths.
OK - let's go with slavery. Is slavery wrong? Today's world has plenty of "wealth" to go around, primarily due to our technology being advanced enough to extract this "wealth" from the planet, so we can easily set up methods of paying people for their work. But many many years ago, this was not the case. Slavery wasn't wrong and in fact, it was, perhaps, necessary. Much of civilization was built on slavery and bonded labour. (You could argue that while poorly treated, slaves were still fed and housed by lords who put them to work - today, people are paid and left to do that for themselves.) Religious texts being very old wouldn't make a claim that slavery was wrong because it wasn't wrong then. It is wrong now. Our views have altered and we don't need religion to tell us that - even though, if you ask preachers, they will tell you that slavery is indeed wrong. They don't need a holy text to tell them that.

So in this case, religion and society are in congruence. Do you agree? Or is your point that the bible is outdated and thus, because Christianity follows it, they don't have a grip on modern morality (likewise for other religions and texts)?

Personally, religion is a part of society, so the idea that you can separate them to say who has given who the morals is a flawed practice. I stated a while ago that my moral views were given in terms of biology and humans being a social animal. Society is just a complex form of group biology.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ninjalostboy95 (08-27-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #109
AndyJC
Academy Student
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AndyJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
I'm not sure he is completely in alignment with me, but I'll check:



OK - let's go with slavery. Is slavery wrong? Today's world has plenty of "wealth" to go around, primarily due to our technology being advanced enough to extract this "wealth" from the planet, so we can easily set up methods of paying people for their work. But many many years ago, this was not the case. Slavery wasn't wrong and in fact, it was, perhaps, necessary. Much of civilization was built on slavery and bonded labour. (You could argue that while poorly treated, slaves were still fed and housed by lords who put them to work - today, people are paid and left to do that for themselves.) Religious texts being very old wouldn't make a claim that slavery was wrong because it wasn't wrong then. It is wrong now. Our views have altered and we don't need religion to tell us that - even though, if you ask preachers, they will tell you that slavery is indeed wrong. They don't need a holy text to tell them that.

So in this case, religion and society are in congruence. Do you agree? Or is your point that the bible is outdated and thus, because Christianity follows it, they don't have a grip on modern morality (likewise for other religions and texts)?

Personally, religion is a part of society, so the idea that you can separate them to say who has given who the morals is a flawed practice. I stated a while ago that my moral views were given in terms of biology and humans being a social animal. Society is just a complex form of group biology.
On slavery, religion and society are in congruence now, but not 200 years ago, religion only slowed the progress to abolition by providing a divine justification for the practice. Whereas at the present time religion and society are not congruent on homosexual rights and it will take religious people a generation to catch up as they will have to find some way of reconciling the anti-homosexual passages in the Bible with the obvious fact (to the rest of society) that it is plain wrong to discriminate against people because they are born homosexual. My point is that religion as derived from ancient texts is no help in determining right and wrong. The ancient texts can only hold you back. So the answer to the question "Is it possible to live a moral life without religion" is a resounding yes, in fact 'without religion' is a necessary (but, of course, not sufficient) requirement for a moral life. It is actually difficult to live a moral life if you are hampered by religion and adherence to ancient texts with a moral code applicable to conditions thousands of years ago.

Last edited by AndyJC; 08-27-2010 at 06:13 PM.
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJC For This Useful Post:
Grammatiker (02-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #110
ChojiMullet
ANBU
 
ChojiMullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 28
Posts: 1,812
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
ChojiMullet is on a distinguished roadChojiMullet is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

I agree that you can be moral without religion but I do not think morals are universal and we normally have some overarching beliefes that are based on some ideals from some where even if they are veiw as just being raised that way or taken for granted as normal common sence.

I have heard countless arguements that morals are personal but ethics are true for all, however I think this is just people trying to use symantics to push thier morals under the screen of religous or political nutrality.
__________________
Choji=awesome I wish I could eat like him and say it was for better performance of my skills.
Member of Badass Shinobi FC
If interested in joining the Badass Shinobi FC please PM not post!
Sirbenoit
Narutorasengan16
Dante
Smeeeeee
Uchihamadara
ITzANIllUZion
Neji4ever
Kamineko Kun
ChojiMullet
The Specialist
anarionsorry
Distortion

ChojiMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #111
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,723
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
On slavery, religion and society are in congruence now, but not 200 years ago, religion only slowed the progress to abolition by providing a divine justification for the practice. Whereas at the present time religion and society are not congruent on homosexual rights and it will take religious people a generation to catch up as they will have to find some way of reconciling the anti-homosexual passages in the Bible with the obvious fact (to the rest of society) that it is plain wrong to discriminate against people because they are born homosexual. My point is that religion as derived from ancient texts is no help in determining right and wrong. The ancient texts can only hold you back. So the answer to the question "Is it possible to live a moral life without religion" is a resounding yes, in fact 'without religion' is a necessary (but, of course, not sufficient) requirement for a moral life. It is actually difficult to live a moral life if you are hampered by religion and adherence to ancient texts with a moral code applicable to conditions thousands of years ago.
You're misunderstanding the intention of the Bible; but that's expected, since many Christians also misunderstand it. Yes, the Bible says homosexuality is wrong, but it doesn't say homosexuals are to be treated any differently. Anyone claiming "God hates fags" is probably more spiritually dead than the homosexuals they denounce.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ChojiMullet (09-01-2010), ninjalostboy95 (09-01-2010), Vanity (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #112
AndyJC
Academy Student
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AndyJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Mal, your response is instructive. You are undertaking the exact process I describe - you are reinterpreting the anti-homosexual passages in the Bible so that you can live a moral life, in this case not having to discriminate against homosexuals.
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #113
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,723
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

How is my interpretation wrong? The Bible says "don't be gay," not "lol gays think they're people."
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ninjalostboy95 (09-09-2010), Vanity (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #114
Vanity
Succumb
 
Vanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 928
Thanks: 3,426
Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice
Re: Is it possible for man to live a moral life without religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJC View Post
Mal, your response is instructive. You are undertaking the exact process I describe - you are reinterpreting the anti-homosexual passages in the Bible so that you can live a moral life, in this case not having to discriminate against homosexuals.
...Wut?

You cannot "reinterpret" something that isn't homophobic. Whenever it is mentioned it's on the same grounds as all sexual sin, and even pride, or covetousness. In other words, it's no worse than someone stealing my car.

And don't even try whipping out Sodom. That has been misinterpreted as OMFG KILL ALL THE FAGS for far too long.
__________________
My nerves are bad to-night.
Yes, bad.
Stay with me.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Mal (09-09-2010), ninjalostboy95 (09-09-2010)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays? Sharingan Lord Debates Section 58 04-05-2008 01:22 AM
Islam Protesting against Danish Cartoons DarkAztek Debates Section 124 12-29-2006 09:59 PM
~ In for a good, long read? Nuerhachi Niru Chit Chat 13 11-30-2006 07:20 AM
live it up, a song kakashi29 Music Talk 3 06-13-2006 09:08 PM
You all knew it was comming... ABORTION «Artos» Debates Section 372 04-26-2006 12:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.