What book are you currently reading? - Page 55 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #811
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,597 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Ah... but I have at least 2 hours of commute time a day to read. And we've pre-ordered 13 from the library so probably won't see it until December. But yeah... probably won't make it.

My wife is a big sci-fi/fantasy reader - she likes books where "stuff happens". This is one of her favourties so she's been bugging me to read it for a while.

Edit: A movie? Man. We must be at that point where huge fantasy epics must be attractive even if you end up locked into 3 or more movies. They are producing Song of Ice and Fire into a mini-series and The Dark Tower is going to be made into a combo of 3 movies and 3 mini-series.

Last edited by ACt; 09-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #812
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

WoT series:

#1 - Lord of Chaos
#2 - Gathering Storm
#3 - Fires of Heaven

yeah, i am not to stoked about this movie. i expect an abomination or a crappy TV series...

off to the theatre, some stallone and murder :>

see ya later
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #813
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,711 Times in 3,841 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

From the WoT series...hmm... this will be tough

#1 - Gathering Storm (because of the "wtf?" mindfucks at the end, and Rand's personality reversion)
#2 - Crossroads of Twilight
#3 - The Great Hunt (because of the fight at the end)

As for a comment about the movie: Hugo Weaving doesn't strike me as a "Lan" type. He's too fucking talkative in his roles and Lan, well, isn't. Viggo Mortensen or Liam Neeson would be a better Lan.

Last edited by kael03; 09-13-2010 at 12:30 PM.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #814
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Reading this : The girl with the Dragon Tattoo (milluenuim #1)

(yeah I know I spelled that last word wrong )
Old 09-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #815
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Right now I'm reading "Furies of Calderon" by Jim Butcher (same guy that wrote the Dresden Files). It's a pretty good series that I need to get the remaining 4 of (I own 1 and 2). Not quite as epic as WoT, but still pretty good.

Nerox, did you see the twist with Verin coming at all in the Gathering Storm? I had a feeling about her shortly after Jordan introduced her.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #816
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Nerox, did you see the twist with Verin coming at all in the Gathering Storm? I had a feeling about her shortly after Jordan introduced her.
yep, i thought so as well. but the twist really caught me by surprise. and how she quit. admirable. that's one of the reasons why Gathering Storm is one of my favorite novels. plot twists, Rands personal change etc.

what i personally don't like, is the character of Egwene. i'd have to go into detail, but i see her making things not easy for Rand and the Ash'aman. and the Ash'aman are fucking awesome.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #817
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about

Reading:State of Fear
Author:Michael Crichton
Opinon: Some dude is fucking a sexy french girl in the first chapter and she poisons and kills him. Fucking A.

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #818
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
yep, i thought so as well. but the twist really caught me by surprise. and how she quit. admirable. that's one of the reasons why Gathering Storm is one of my favorite novels. plot twists, Rands personal change etc.
Yeah, the way she quit was quite admirable. I knew had a feeling about the twist and that she wasn't like the rest.

Quote:
what i personally don't like, is the character of Egwene. i'd have to go into detail, but i see her making things not easy for Rand and the Ash'aman. and the Ash'aman are fucking awesome.
With her, I think she'll ease off once she bonds Gawyn and sees the change in Rand. He didn't exactly help much with her by his personality change until recently. Also, with the Asha'man situation, that's more Taim's doing than Rand. Rand's been off trying to unite the nations and Taim's been building his own army for some darker purpose.

I know Jordan confirmed it, but do you honestly think Sammael is dead? The others said that someone was impersonating him from inside the ways and he was last seen by the Waygate in Shadar Logoth. I'm not certain that Mashadar or the blast of Balefire caught him. I'm not convinced of anyone being dead unless they get hit in the chest by Balefire, aside from Asmodean (hopefully THAT will be cleared up in Towers of Midnight, as it's driving me nuts).
Old 09-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #819
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Quote:
With her, I think she'll ease off once she bonds Gawyn and sees the change in Rand. He didn't exactly help much with her by his personality change until recently. Also, with the Asha'man situation, that's more Taim's doing than Rand. Rand's been off trying to unite the nations and Taim's been building his own army for some darker purpose.

I know Jordan confirmed it, but do you honestly think Sammael is dead? The others said that someone was impersonating him from inside the ways and he was last seen by the Waygate in Shadar Logoth. I'm not certain that Mashadar or the blast of Balefire caught him. I'm not convinced of anyone being dead unless they get hit in the chest by Balefire, aside from Asmodean (hopefully THAT will be cleared up in Towers of Midnight, as it's driving me nuts).
hm, may be right, but i don't like the whole way most of the Aes Sedai behave against the proper Ash'aman like those Rand trusts.
also a fucking interesting point is the Seanchan Empire. will Mat have any influence on tuon? can they make peace and fight of the dark one?

also, dude, a feeling is creeping up, that sammael is indeed taim. or even asmodean. maybe he is controlled by someone, like ishammael is now controlling Lanfear and the Moghedien(?).

question, a lot of open questions for book number 13. what's up with the tower of Genjai? with mat being my second favorite cahracter i am looking forward to this one. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain !
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #820
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
hm, may be right, but i don't like the whole way most of the Aes Sedai behave against the proper Ash'aman like those Rand trusts.
Most Aes Sedai are still unsure about Saidin being clean. It's difficult to break the fear from generations of men going insane because of the taint.

Quote:
also a fucking interesting point is the Seanchan Empire. will Mat have any influence on tuon? can they make peace and fight of the dark one?
In The Gathering Storm Tuon's already displayed affection towards Mat that would lead people to believe she doesn't view this as a political thing anymore. When she declared herself empress she was thinking of Mat. It was the actions of her adviser that lead to the strife with Rand. I think Tuon will try to get Mat to help broker peace with Rand now that they all know the last battle is nearing. And once they realize he's not batshit crazy now.

Quote:
also, dude, a feeling is creeping up, that sammael is indeed taim. or even asmodean.
Well, he's not Asmodean. His death was confirmed by Jordan in an interview, and during the meeting in Tel'aran'rhiod the Forsaken confirmed that he was dead.

As for being Sammael, Sammael's never been clever enough to go with impersonating someone else. Rand even confirms that Sammael's always been a head on fighter, he thinks in 1 direction. He obviously has connections with the Forsaken, as he used the phrase "let the Lord of Chaos rule", which the Forsake use almost exclusively.

Quote:
maybe he is controlled by someone, like ishammael is now controlling Lanfear and the Moghedien(?).
I don't think he's in a Mind Trap. He doesn't have that paranoid feel about him like Lanfear and Moghedien do, especially when Moridin (he's not Ishamael now) caresses the crystals. He's also holding to a pretty arrogant personality, showing that he doesn't have anyone controlling him.

Quote:
question, a lot of open questions for book number 13. what's up with the tower of Genjai? with mat being my second favorite cahracter i am looking forward to this one.
We'll figure out the Tower more in Towers of Midnight, as the title is a direct reference to it. Hopefully we'll see more of Slayer and figure out what the hell he's (they?) up to. He's still an unknown, even to the Forsaken. Though I have a feeling he'll end up fighting Perrin soon, since he's killing wolves and Perrin did wound him in the dream world.

Quote:
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain !
It's time indeed.

Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!

Last edited by kael03; 09-15-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #821
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about

What are these books?

go ahead and fucking eat
Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #822
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

The Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan (and now Brandon Sanderson)
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
naruto_nutty (09-18-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #823
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

It looks liek I'll have to check them out.

go ahead and fucking eat
Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #824
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

It's a really really good series. Just expect the first book to take a little time to pick up, as it's introducing a few characters at first.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #825
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Quote:
Most Aes Sedai are still unsure about Saidin being clean. It's difficult to break the fear from generations of men going insane because of the taint.
yes, but they should believe it. if it wouldn't be, the last battle would be lost. although i liked when Rand bannished Cadsuane and went "hard as Cuellendiar.

Quote:
In The Gathering Storm Tuon's already displayed affection towards Mat that would lead people to believe she doesn't view this as a political thing anymore. When she declared herself empress she was thinking of Mat. It was the actions of her adviser that lead to the strife with Rand. I think Tuon will try to get Mat to help broker peace with Rand now that they all know the last battle is nearing. And once they realize he's not batshit crazy now.
yep, Mat already changed her. but she still has a the Travelling now. Rand will have a pretty hard bargain next time.

Quote:
Well, he's not Asmodean. His death was confirmed by Jordan in an interview, and during the meeting in Tel'aran'rhiod the Forsaken confirmed that he was dead.
seems so, but still, Asmodean was pretty cool. some more infos about his death would be nice.

Quote:
As for being Sammael, Sammael's never been clever enough to go with impersonating someone else. Rand even confirms that Sammael's always been a head on fighter, he thinks in 1 direction. He obviously has connections with the Forsaken, as he used the phrase "let the Lord of Chaos rule", which the Forsake use almost exclusively.
perhaps he is one of the dreadlords who will command the larger forces of trollocs and shades against the heros. like Katrina or Galina.

Quote:
I don't think he's in a Mind Trap. He doesn't have that paranoid feel about him like Lanfear and Moghedien do, especially when Moridin (he's not Ishamael now) caresses the crystals. He's also holding to a pretty arrogant personality, showing that he doesn't have anyone controlling him.
Moridin is Ishammael reborn by the Dark One. Or so i understood it. he still has the connection with Rand, which they made in Shadar Logoth with their Balefires.

Quote:
We'll figure out the Tower more in Towers of Midnight, as the title is a direct reference to it. Hopefully we'll see more of Slayer and figure out what the hell he's (they?) up to. He's still an unknown, even to the Forsaken. Though I have a feeling he'll end up fighting Perrin soon, since he's killing wolves and Perrin did wound him in the dream world.
Yeah right, Slayer. i been waiting for that one two. maybe a forsaken, maybe a "spirit" like Birgitte.

Quote:
It's time indeed.

Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!
"Blood and bloody ashes!" i can't wait till november 2nd...