What book are you currently reading? - Page 59 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #871
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
Book one. I am reading as they were written.
I'll probably do it that way too when i start.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #872
naruto_nutty
Cunning Chunin

naruto_nutty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Book two done. Story is going from good to very good. Now on to Book Three: The Dragon Reborn. If the pattern holds, I should be done in a week and a day.
Totally agree, dude good pattern reference any Aes Sedai would be proud

On Bk3 aswell, but i'm taking an WoT hiatus since I need to read Dan Brown;Lost Symbol and Brent Weeks:Lightbringer (new Black Prism Trilogy)

Here is Aizen Advert for recruiting Vasto Lordes because I can't imagine how else he does it.

Becoming a Vasto Lorde does have its privileges, e.g you get to choose which meal you want today from a menu of hollows (big and small), adjucha, humans and the main course Shinigami's, but wait it's doesnt end there if you rip your mask off, you get the ultra special form of ARRANCAR, this baby comes with special Shinigami powers, extra powerful moves, like Grand-ray Cero and the extremely rare Zanpakuto. So sign up today, offer ends 31st Dec, terms and conditions apply. Please see Gin or Tosen for any further more details.

Here is a link to the sexiest thread ever

(Visiting my Profile may cause Epileptic Fit/Raucous Laughter)
naruto_nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #873
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Book two done. Story is going from good to very good. Now on to Book Three: The Dragon Reborn. If the pattern holds, I should be done in a week and a day.
Book...4? Might give you a little trouble. It slows down a lot to introduce new characters.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #874
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto_nutty View Post
Totally agree, dude good pattern reference any Aes Sedai would be proud
Heh - wondered if someone would catch that. It was unintentional at first... but then I noticed it and couldn't write it another way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Book...4? Might give you a little trouble. It slows down a lot to introduce new characters.
That's fine. I should have book 3 done by Thanksgiving weekend (not to be confused with American Thanksgiving) so I'll have a tonne (not to be confused with ton) of time to pick through book 4. Although, it is similar sized, I wonder if you are thinking of book 5 which appears to be 300 pages longer than the others I have.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #875
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
That's fine. I should have book 3 done by Thanksgiving weekend (not to be confused with American Thanksgiving) so I'll have a tonne (not to be confused with ton) of time to pick through book 4. Although, it is similar sized, I wonder if you are thinking of book 5 which appears to be 300 pages longer than the others I have.
I'm pretty sure it was book 4 that took forever. I think that was the book my step-sister was stuck on and had to stop reading because it would drag on. I'm pretty sure it was that book that took me the longest to get through.
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
naruto_nutty (10-01-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #876
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

i think book 4 is still nicely flowing, but i had my "difficulties" with nr. 5. i don't know why in retrospect, but look forward to nr. 6, one of the best in the series, in my opinion.

@pattern-pun: damn, just got i after reading your posts ^^
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #877
naruto_nutty
Cunning Chunin

naruto_nutty is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you guys buy the books or rented like I am, all together you be spending around $100-£80 just on the paperback (hardcover more expensive but much better in terms of typeset, have to fucking squint to read paperback, plus there's is no proper illustration on paperback)

Here is Aizen Advert for recruiting Vasto Lordes because I can't imagine how else he does it.

Becoming a Vasto Lorde does have its privileges, e.g you get to choose which meal you want today from a menu of hollows (big and small), adjucha, humans and the main course Shinigami's, but wait it's doesnt end there if you rip your mask off, you get the ultra special form of ARRANCAR, this baby comes with special Shinigami powers, extra powerful moves, like Grand-ray Cero and the extremely rare Zanpakuto. So sign up today, offer ends 31st Dec, terms and conditions apply. Please see Gin or Tosen for any further more details.

Here is a link to the sexiest thread ever

(Visiting my Profile may cause Epileptic Fit/Raucous Laughter)
naruto_nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #878
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto_nutty View Post
Did you guys buy the books or rented like I am, all together you be spending around $100-£80 just on the paperback
I bought the books because I reread them and paying a lump sum for something instead of "payments" makes more sense.

Quote:
(hardcover more expensive but much better in terms of typeset, have to fucking squint to read paperback, plus there's is no proper illustration on paperback)
Get your eyes checked.
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Mal (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #879
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

My wife bought them but only paperbacks. She won't dish out the extra $15-20 just for a hardcover because A) expensive and B) harder to read in bed due to weight. So she owns something like 10 of them and is waiting for a good priced version of the last couple to buy. We've ordered book 13 from the library already for when they get it so will read it early, but won't buy it for a few years.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #880
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Currently readin The dreamhouse novels on the 5th book now
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #881
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

for those who already read book 1-12:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/10/tow...es-firstq#more

the towers of midnight, chapter one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
kael03 (10-06-2010), naruto_nutty (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #882
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

...apples?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #883
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

seemingly...but i like how rand strolled down Dragonmount and ta'veren style tugging the peasants to follow him.
but who is the "she" he's talking about? i think it's catsuane, but, i can't be sure. damn, 1 month to go.

Last edited by Nerox; 10-06-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #884
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

He's going to Camelyn and is afraid of giving "her" some news. It's Elayne. Cadsuane is in ...Tear? I think. Wherever he was before he went to the Dragonmount.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #885
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

yeop cadsuane is in tear. so it's elayne then. he might be telling her to ready the forces for the last battle. and he is still in for a surprise since she well "has something form him" (in case ACt is reading this).

also, the chapter tells me, that the seanchan empire has homeland problems. perhaps the forerunners will turn round with their empress and reclaim their land after defeating the dark one.

Last edited by Nerox; 10-06-2010 at 02:10 PM.