Wheel of Time chat thread - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wheel of Time chat thread

Holy. Shit.

That sounds unbelievably epic, and its similar to LotR? Okay. 1$ Library card, here I come.
Maybe for now I can find it online somewhere. . . What is the year published?

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Not really similar because it uses regular prose and has a much more complex story and characters, but Tolkien did reintroduce the medieval and mythological themes, in particular the old english/germanic styles. Modern fantasy sprang from his fans more or less.

Book 1: Eye of the World was published in 1990 and they rolled out from there. The prequel which I haven't read was written 11th was published in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time <---- beware of any spoilers. I haven't sifted this wiki but it has the series by book. Use the jump link.

Quote:
Just wait...there's a LOT more involved with Perrin and Mat. Mat especially takes a hell of a twist around book 7ish. Perrin just kinda falls into his future role, Mat avoids it like the plague but ultimately fails.
Yeah, it is interesting to see a series where main characters fight their role rather than just say "Oh - you want me to do something ridiculously dangerous for the world. Sure, why not? Evil things are trying to kill me anyway." Although, it is fun to keep hearing from people "oh, you just wait..."

I also like the whole woman vs man thing going on especially because the heroines have a strange knack for getting captured.

Last edited by ACt; 10-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (10-06-2010), Sensei-Q (03-03-2011)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about

Thanks bro. Okay, I messed it up for myself and read a little too far - thats okay, did it for Mass Effect too - I'm really eager to read this.

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerNN View Post
Holy. Shit.

That sounds unbelievably epic, and its similar to LotR? Okay. 1$ Library card, here I come.
Maybe for now I can find it online somewhere. . . What is the year published?
"The Eye of the World" (book 1) was published in 1990. And it's not really similar to LotR, but Jordan takes a heavy influence from Tolkien's writing style.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Just wait...there's a LOT more involved with Perrin and Mat. Mat especially takes a hell of a twist around book 7ish. Perrin just kinda falls into his future role, Mat avoids it like the plague but ultimately fails.
pretty good summary kael. props.

also i think the twists Mat is entangled in, start in book 4ish doesn't it? you know, the city in the clounds? (no spoiler i hope)
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
pretty good summary kael. props.

also i think the twists Mat is entangled in, start in book 4ish doesn't it? you know, the city in the clounds? (no spoiler i hope)
The twists with Mat start in Book 1 with that damn dagger. But the twists that he was avoiding like the plague don't start until the Seanchan show up.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #22
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
The twists with Mat start in Book 1 with that damn dagger. But the twists that he was avoiding like the plague don't start until the Seanchan show up.
ah right. yeah you know what i meant i suppose, and that's the most important part in my opinion. which will also be of importance in book 13.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
saiyaman
Chuunin

saiyaman is an unknown quantity at this point

How the heck did I NOT see this thread till now?!!

@ACT: I can tell you one thing about Mat though. He's very very unfortunate with a lot of stuff going his way(not exactly what he likes it to). Finish Book Eleven and you'll understand completely what I meant (although you would have started to get glimpses of it by now).

I still have to read TGS. The reason for that is because I sort of read through the books without concentrating much. Big Mistake. So re-reading them and as of now I've finished with 7th again. 4 more to go although I reckon I pretty much know what happens in Book eleven though. ^_^
Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Warning!

This thread will contain spoilers from all thirteen books of the Wheel of Time series, as we nerds discuss it in the long await for Book Fourteen: A Memory of Light. We will not be using spoiler tags, so if you care about not knowing what happens while reading these books - do not continue reading.

OK, Kael and Nerox - I'm caught up. Going to go read some of your stuff from the What are you reading thread and we can carry on afterwards.

My first point is about Sanderson - I really am not a huge fan of his style. I know he has done his best with Jordon's work, and it really isn't terrible, but it definitely isn't Jordon. Sanderson jumps around way too much. Jordon's best trait, in my mind, was his ability to stick to one portion of the story, give it and then move on to the next. 2, 3 or 4 chapters at a time. I know it led to the "But where is PERRIN!" moments, but overall, the story held together a whole lot more than Sanderson's style of giving everyone a voice, often having multiple voices in one chapter - something Jordon only did at the beginning and end of his novels. It's probably necessary to finish the books, as Jordon probably would have written six, but there it is.

Also, what the fuck was Sanderson doing with the Perrin story? I completely hated how he screwed up the timeline to have Perrin's story always a few days/weeks behind the previous novel! Bloody irritating to watch Tam Al'Thor jump around and be in two places at once. Bad choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Nerox (03-13-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #25
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Is this anything like Twilight?

I show myself out.

(I'm gonna get back to reading the first one in a few weeks after my assignments, so I can come here and nerdrage about things. I don't really care too much about spoilers, but the big "WARNING!" is always appreciated.)
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (03-01-2011), Nerox (03-13-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
ACt
Heart Wizard

Couple things you guys brought up:

Slayer - yeah, I think it wasn't resolved because his story isn't done yet. Perrin only managed to thwart him but I don't know if he could have defeated Slayer. Plus, there's the whole soul of Isam inside him, who was cousin or something to Lan. Which makes me think that Slayer will show up in Malkier to face Lan, and since Rand would want to give Lan help, who better than Perrin to get all the pieces tied together.

Which means Lan + Perrin + their armies + wolves + Slayer + Trolloc Armies all at Tarwin's Gap. That's how I'd go anyway... sounds awesome.

I really don't understand why no one has done anything with the Black Tower. You'd think Rand would want to get his house in order before facing down Egwene. The absence, of Logain also bothers me, but I'm guessing he is to challenge for control of the tower - Min did see him prepared for glory, or something. I also suspect Demandred is involved in the tower, though I don't know who. It could be Taim, but I find that unlikely. They generally like to control major figures than be them.

Likewise, the total ignorance of the Seanchan. I realize Rand is going to ask for peace between the leaders then go sue for peace from the Seanchan in exchange for his own loyalty (how did Tuon resist psycho Rand anyway?), but you would have though Rand would have dealt with them and brought them to the whole Kings/Queensmoot he's organizing. I figure they'll need them in the fight.

What's your take on Aviendha's visions? Was it true future or just projections to enable her to want to make change as a Wise One, rather than be passive. I'm going with the latter as I had to think she'll live long enough to stop her daughter from being so stupid... assuming any of the Wise One's survive the last battle. (I'm still not ruling out the destruction of the True Source as the end of the Dark One, leaving the world magic-less. It's one of many theories.)

I really like what is happening the all the Tavaren. I gotta admit, when Rand showed up after his little seance on top of Dragonmount wearing a brown cloak with sleeves and all serene, I laughed, saying to my wife "Rand done gone and Jedi'd." Hehehe. Atta boy Rand Al'Kenobi.

Perrin is growing more awesome. His mastery of the dream world is great. When he dissolved the balefire and Egwene was agog, the line "It's just a weave" was hilarious. Big hammer kicks ass.

Mat got better in Towers of Midnight. I like the story, but Sanderson had him whinning about being married and not "Giving up drinking and gambling" far too much. Didn't like that aspect of the character. I would have thought he'd have learned a little self control.

And... I can't think of anything else right now. Still feels like there is more to occur than one book can hold. But we'll see... in 14 or so months.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Nerox (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #27
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
Couple things you guys brought up:

Slayer - yeah, I think it wasn't resolved because his story isn't done yet. Perrin only managed to thwart him but I don't know if he could have defeated Slayer. Plus, there's the whole soul of Isam inside him, who was cousin or something to Lan. Which makes me think that Slayer will show up in Malkier to face Lan, and since Rand would want to give Lan help, who better than Perrin to get all the pieces tied together.

Which means Lan + Perrin + their armies + wolves + Slayer + Trolloc Armies all at Tarwin's Gap. That's how I'd go anyway... sounds awesome.
I did not think of the constellation. But it sure sounds awesome. I hope we will see some more Lan action in 14, I really mist that guy. Far too few chapters, but the rallying under Malkier banner was nicely done.

But like I said before, kind of curious that Slayer wasn't used to kill Egwene and the others with dream Ter'angreal. Would have been a piece of cake.

Quote:
I really don't understand why no one has done anything with the Black Tower. You'd think Rand would want to get his house in order before facing down Egwene. The absence, of Logain also bothers me, but I'm guessing he is to challenge for control of the tower - Min did see him prepared for glory, or something. I also suspect Demandred is involved in the tower, though I don't know who. It could be Taim, but I find that unlikely. They generally like to control major figures than be them.
Same confusion here. But well, Rand had a lot of other troubles than the Black Tower. And like I said, Logain will take over in 14 and rally the Asha'man for Tarmon Gaidon. Demandred is definitly in the Black Tower, because I am sure he uses a Dreamspike to keep the Asha'man from getting out/joining with Rand. Taim is obviously a Dreadlord.

Quote:
Likewise, the total ignorance of the Seanchan. I realize Rand is going to ask for peace between the leaders then go sue for peace from the Seanchan in exchange for his own loyalty (how did Tuon resist psycho Rand anyway?), but you would have though Rand would have dealt with them and brought them to the whole Kings/Queensmoot he's organizing. I figure they'll need them in the fight.
Seriously. I would have liked to see Rand destroy half of the Seanchan Army or some crazy stuff like that before his transformation. But I believe Mat will play a very big part in bringing peace between the them as well as Perrin, as he made a "bond" with this female General.

And how Tuon could withstand the fucking True Power...meh, I was very disappointed. He could have mindfucked her into compliancy. I call plot protection.

Quote:
What's your take on Aviendha's visions? Was it true future or just projections to enable her to want to make change as a Wise One, rather than be passive. I'm going with the latter as I had to think she'll live long enough to stop her daughter from being so stupid... assuming any of the Wise One's survive the last battle. (I'm still not ruling out the destruction of the True Source as the end of the Dark One, leaving the world magic-less. It's one of many theories.)
I think it will be the latter you mentioned too. I can't see the Seanchan getting to win in the end. What I can see is, that they will be granted the terretories they already have, as some kind of remembrance for Arthur Hawkwing. But how this will be established is still shrouded in mystery, since the Seanchan plan another attack on the White Tower...I hope for another sneaky Dreamspike mission to foil the Seanchan plans. That would be awesome.

Quote:
I really like what is happening the all the Tavaren. I gotta admit, when Rand showed up after his little seance on top of Dragonmount wearing a brown cloak with sleeves and all serene, I laughed, saying to my wife "Rand done gone and Jedi'd." Hehehe. Atta boy Rand Al'Kenobi.
Well, Rand was always my favorite character. And I fap everytime I read "The Car'a'carn has embraced Death". Fucking awesome! I liked how he raised fucking hell against an entire Trolloc army. I think I came right then.

Quote:
Perrin is growing more awesome. His mastery of the dream world is great. When he dissolved the balefire and Egwene was agog, the line "It's just a weave" was hilarious. Big hammer kicks ass.
2nd favorite Taveren. The Hammer. And the name...And the scene with Egwene was also fucking neat. Also, damn, Hopper!

Quote:
Mat got better in Towers of Midnight. I like the story, but Sanderson had him whinning about being married and not "Giving up drinking and gambling" far too much. Didn't like that aspect of the character. I would have thought he'd have learned a little self control.
I like how he and Perrin resemble Odin and Thor. So Norse mythology when he sacrificed his eye for knowledge.

Quote:
And... I can't think of anything else right now. Still feels like there is more to occur than one book can hold. But we'll see... in 14 or so months.
Hopefully not that long...But I can live with the audiobooks.

Edit: I have a new suspition about Demandred in the Black Tower. The one time Andril send some guy to spy on one Asha'man called Nessar, he said: "I talked to him (Nessar [sp?]) but it ain't him. He looks like him but it isn't. He has his memories though. I could see it in his smile". (Not 100% accurate).
So my guess is that this Nessar is Demandred. For me it is pretty obvious.

Last edited by Nerox; 03-16-2011 at 05:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
ACt (03-16-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
almightywood
Missing-Nin

almightywood is an unknown quantity at this point

I started reading this series back in '95 and was really quite pissed when I heard about Jordan dying. I was excited when I heard they had found a ghost writer for him but after a couple of years of waiting and nothing was published I had given up hope that they were going to be. I just recently learned of Sanderson's books and am looking forward to seeing how he continued this monstrous tale.
almightywood is offline   Reply With Quote