Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Not to nitpick, but I didn't get that from the article. Except the last part. I see it as the record industry wants to use the case to set an example to anyone who shares music (Copyright infringement), even only a couple of songs. Basically they're thinking this will make people shit their pants and stop downloading shit. And probably to set a legal precedent too, I'm sure. And her defense is basically that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Or, in other words, it's fucking ridiculous. Which I'm sure any remotely reasonable person reading this would agree.
Fuck that - you deliberately mean to nitpick!! Which is fine with me.

I see what you are saying. I guess I got hung up on the argument the defendant made that she wasn't the one sharing. In any case, the overall result that the jury keeps hitting her for money (really - who's on this jury?? A bunch of Luddites and rock stars?) rather than dealing with the archaic system sanely is a bigger problem for the American judicial system. Who was that guy who wanted millions for his lost suit?
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-07-2010)

Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Primarily the RIAA is just trying to make an example of this woman, but the large fine is part of it. They offered to settle this case for $25,000 and an admission of guilt. From their point of view they can't afford to not force her to pay the fine, because that sends the signal that the record industry is a bunch a pussies that won't go after you. What would happen if they were to demand a fair settlement? According to the article the market value of those songs is $24 on Itunes. If that's all the courts made her pay, then internet piracy would get worse. People would just keep stealing shit and knowing their is almost no penalty except actually having to to pay if they got caught.

A comparison would be shoplifting. Everyone knows it's wrong, but lots of people do it. Hell I do it all the time. I was stealing some Tylenol at my local grocery store one time (I'm not paying $5 for that shit), and this women had got caught stealing steaks by the store manager. She had them in her purse, and the guy couldn't legally search her purse, so he made a compromise with her. If she handed over the steaks and left the store he wouldn't press charges. Mainly because the guy hates having to appear in court to testify and shit (I know this guy personally btw). So she was like "cool", and handed the steaks over and left. Do you think that deterred her any. Hell no. I saw her stealing shit that next week.

Where I live the penalty for shoplifting is reimbursement to the store for the amount of the items stolen + $250 court fee, and maybe some community service if you're a repeat offender. It's not exactly a harsh law, but to me that's a fair punishment for the crime. I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay $250 over some $25 ribeye steaks. Not unless I was just good at stealing shit, like most recurring shoplifters are. Most kids get caught once and never do that shit again. It's the same with the record industry. If the record industry had done the same thing with this women it would have been alright. Slap her with $1000 fine and send her on her way, and consistently enforce the law on everybody. That would scare away to casual downloader, and mean more profit back in the pocket of the greedy record labels, while the hardcore pirates would do so at their own risks. That is...justice.

Last edited by ask me anything; 11-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
Sensei-Q
✪✪✪✪✪

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,726 Posts
Sensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura about

That depends on which provider you're on. I download at least 500mb a day worth of music and games/software. Never got caught.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #19
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
I was stealing some Tylenol at my local grocery store one time (I'm not paying $5 for that shit)
Whoa dude. Five fucking dollars!? Who do they think they are charging such a ridiculous amount for Tylenol!? I mean, seriously, that's like half a year's wages. Shit.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-08-2010), Miburo (11-08-2010), Playa (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

^lol. To be fair though, I'm not so much concerned with the price. I just hate to spend my cash if I can avoid steal it. As long as it fits in my pocket, it's fair game.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
Mal
Scotch

Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Do you use the same logic for rape? "As long as I can get it in her, it's fair game."
Miburo (11-08-2010), Playa (11-09-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #22
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

I see what you did there, and logically the answer would be yes. Though there are other factors involved, like......getting caught. Prison time is a deterrent for rape. It's very logical to not want to go to prison. A small fine isn't going to keep me from stealing, since I steal way more shit then I'll ever get fined for even if I were caught. So I come out ahead anyway. That's a very logical thought process. Not that I ever get caught shoplifting, because I'm just that good. Plus most store employees around my area couldn't catch a cold if they tried, much less anything else. Motherfuckers charge way to much for some of that stuff anyway. It's only fair in my opinion.

Last edited by ask me anything; 11-08-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #23
Mal
Scotch

You should write these rules down, in case you ever get caught and need to prove to the cops you actually live by these rules and aren't just making shit up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
kluang (11-08-2010), Miburo (11-08-2010), Playa (11-09-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #24
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Reminds me of a guy who wants to get rid of lesbian by raping them. The cops dont buy his story and now he's in jail.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-09-2010), Sensei-Q (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #25
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
punishment doesn't fit the crime..
^Sums up my thoughts on this lunacy. She "stole" 25 bucks worth of "merchandise". If she is to be smacked with a fine let it equal that amount, and end it.

@AMA
1st: I would not advertise the fact that you are a thief dude. Generally that is not something people consider to be cool. If anything similar to the following has ever happened to you then disregard my remarks.

Person A)"I steal shit because I can and, I'm entitled to it".
Person B)"Awesome please come hang out at my home with all my cool shit I worked hard as hell to pay for."

2nd:
Quote:
Prison time is a deterrent for rape.
I would hope that simply getting caught, and being punished. Is not your average joes motivation to keep from going on a raping spree.

Last edited by Axiom; 11-09-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2010), Sensei-Q (11-09-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #26
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
I see what you did there, and logically the answer would be yes. Though there are other factors involved, like......getting caught. Prison time is a deterrent for rape. It's very logical to not want to go to prison. A small fine isn't going to keep me from stealing, since I steal way more shit then I'll ever get fined for even if I were caught. So I come out ahead anyway. That's a very logical thought process. Not that I ever get caught shoplifting, because I'm just that good. Plus most store employees around my area couldn't catch a cold if they tried, much less anything else. Motherfuckers charge way to much for some of that stuff anyway. It's only fair in my opinion.
Who are you to say they are charging too much? Just because you're a cheap bastard doesn't mean their prices are ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
I would hope that simply getting caught, and being punished. Is not your average joes motivation to keep from going on a raping spree.
You would be surprised. My university did a survey a number of years ago asking men "If you could rape any girl, and be guaranteed to get away with it, would you?" Nearly 70% said yes.
Miburo (11-09-2010), Sensei-Q (11-09-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #27
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

You would be surprised. My university did a survey a number of years ago asking men "If you could rape any girl, and be guaranteed to get away with it, would you?" Nearly 70% said yes.
Surveys can be helpful, especially for those doing them. However for people just reading the results, they dont mean that much without knowledge of the methodology. For example, without knowing the methodology it could be possible that most of the men in that survey were under the influence of drugs at the time (coincidence or not) which would effect their response to the question. You may find my example extreme or highly unlikely but it was just to illustrate why methodology (often) matters.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #28
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
Surveys can be helpful, especially for those doing them. However for people just reading the results, they dont mean that much without knowledge of the methodology. For example, without knowing the methodology it could be possible that most of the men in that survey were under the influence of drugs at the time (coincidence or not) which would effect their response to the question. You may find my example extreme or highly unlikely but it was just to illustrate why methodology (often) matters.
Shut the fuck up. Anyone with even half a brain knows not to take survey results at face value. Even if 50% of the respondents said yes jokingly, that's still a disgustingly high number of possible rapists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #29
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Shut the fuck up. Anyone with even half a brain knows not to take survey results at face value. Even if 50% of the respondents said yes jokingly, that's still a disgustingly high number of possible rapists.
Well anybody in OH would know not to take survey results at face value, but there are definitely too many light blues who wouldn't.

I am(/was) not saying that your point wasn't right. It is right, not just for rape but for most crimes as well. A lot of people would definitely do a crime if they could get away with it. Anyways, if that wasn't true there would be much less/no need for such a legal system present in today's society.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #30
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
Anyways, if that wasn't true there would be much less/no need for such a legal system present in today's society.
Bullshit. We wouldn't need a legal system if, say, only 10% of guys would rape a girl if there were no consequences? That's idiotic. A legal system isn't only required if the majority of your society can't help but kill each other unless you threaten them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2010)