Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #31
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Bullshit. We wouldn't need a legal system if, say, only 10% of guys would rape a girl if there were no consequences? That's idiotic. A legal system isn't only required if the majority of your society can't help but kill each other unless you threaten them.
Damn, learn to read. I didnt say that no legal system would be needed, just that we wouldn't need one like we have today, or have less need for one like we have today.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems

Last edited by stubborn_d0nkey; 11-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #32
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Why? Explain to me how today's legal system could be improved to accommodate a greater number of legitimately honest citizens who aren't just doing what the law tells them to do.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Why? Explain to me how today's legal system could be improved to accommodate a greater number of legitimately honest citizens who aren't just doing what the law tells them to do.
I must have overestimated OH. I was under the impression that a member would be able to see how today's legal system has elements that try to effect the "morality" of the masses and effect the decisions of the masses, not just punish them for doing something that goes against the law.

Anways, considering my laziness, it would take too much deliberation to provide you with a quality framework. Since you seem intent to put me down I see no reason why I should provide you with a poor estimation of how such a legal system would look like to give you material to do just that.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #34
Mal
Scotch

Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
I must have overestimated OH. I was under the impression that a member would be able to see how today's legal system has elements that try to effect the "morality" of the masses and effect the decisions of the masses, not just punish them for doing something that goes against the law.
But trying to affect the morality of society isn't a necessary part of today's legal system, anyway. Saying that we could have a system without it if only [blah blah blah] is inaccurate because we don't need it in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #35
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
@AMA
1st: I would not advertise the fact that you are a thief dude. Generally that is not something people consider to be cool. If anything similar to the following has ever happened to you then disregard my remarks.

Person A)"I steal shit because I can and, I'm entitled to it".
Person B)"Awesome please come hang out at my home with all my cool shit I worked hard as hell to pay for."
Well, I certainly don't advertise this shit in RL. But this is the internet, so whatever. There's only 1 person on this forum that actually knows me in RL, and he's my brother. Whether or not people find it "cool" is irrelevant. It simply is what it is.

Quote:
2nd:

I would hope that simply getting caught, and being punished. Is not your average joes motivation to keep from going on a raping spree.
I was merely speaking from a logical standpoint as to why most people would never commit rape. I wouldn't do it regardless, because of moral issues. Before anyone says anything, yes I do realize the hypocrisy in what I just said.

Quote:
Who are you to say they are charging too much? Just because you're a cheap bastard doesn't mean their prices are ridiculous.
In some items they are. I have first hand knowledge of this, since I am a truck driver who does deliveries to several of the grocery chains in my area. Most of the products I deliver are marked up about 120%-150% by the stores. That's insanely high. I've talked to several of the other deliver guys I run into, and they say the same things.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #36
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
In some items they are. I have first hand knowledge of this, since I am a truck driver who does deliveries to several of the grocery chains in my area. Most of the products I deliver are marked up about 120%-150% by the stores. That's insanely high. I've talked to several of the other deliver guys I run into, and they say the same things.
That is how business works.

Let's suppose the store pays $0.50 for an apple then mark it up 100% and sell this apple for $1.00, making a $0.50 "profit." Assuming most employees are making a (ridiculously low) wage of $5/hour, they have to sell 10 apples per hour to pay a single employee.

Now let's imagine they use a "more reasonable" mark up of 30%, and sell the apple for $0.65. Now making a $0.15 profit, they have to sell 34 apples to pay that same, single employee.

That's not even taking into account that some employees will make more than this, and all the utility/rental costs incurred by the building itself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-09-2010), kael03 (11-09-2010), Kinako (11-09-2010), Miburo (11-09-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #37
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

While all that is true, there are other factors involved like competition, and availability. I live in is a very small town that has only 1 grocery store, and they charge higher then average prices just because they know the nearest competitor is 20 miles away. They no it's more convenient for people to shop their and pay more, then for people to drive 20 miles and pay less, but spend more time doing so. That's why I feel no guilt stealing from those guys, because they are price gouging me to begin with.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Businesses making money though use of totally legitimate practices like taking advantage of location?! UNACCEPTABLE!

Nah, I'm pretty sure AMA is black. So he can't help it. Whatever. = )

I'm cool with stealing if it's done out of necessity to survive, or when more honorable methods of dealing with scum aren't legitimate options. Like, if I was working at walmart and my store manager treats me like ass, but won't accept my challenge to unarmed combat and will press charges if I assault him... I'd find stealing shit from his store to be an acceptable alternative, since he had to be a pussy about shit. His fault, he should have fought me like a man when he had the chance.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Kinako (11-09-2010), Mal (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #39
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Nope, I'm white.

The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #40
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
While all that is true, there are other factors involved like competition, and availability. I live in is a very small town that has only 1 grocery store, and they charge higher then average prices just because they know the nearest competitor is 20 miles away. They no it's more convenient for people to shop their and pay more, then for people to drive 20 miles and pay less, but spend more time doing so. That's why I feel no guilt stealing from those guys, because they are price gouging me to begin with.
So you should be able to avoid travel expenses and pay the same for goods, but the store isn't allowed to recoup the additional cost they pay to have their products shipped that extra distance?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Axiom (11-09-2010), Miburo (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #41
Kinako
Chuunin

Thanked 1,443 Times in 684 Posts
Kinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Businesses making money though use of totally legitimate practices like taking advantage of location?! UNACCEPTABLE!

Nah, I'm pretty sure AMA is black. So he can't help it.
Whatever. = )

I'm cool with stealing if it's done out of necessity to survive, or when more honorable methods of dealing with scum aren't legitimate options. Like, if I was working at walmart and my store manager treats me like ass, but won't accept my challenge to unarmed combat and will press charges if I assault him... I'd find stealing shit from his store to be an acceptable alternative, since he had to be a pussy about shit. His fault, he should have fought me like a man when he had the chance.
QFT. The boss should have taken an ass whooping behind Door # 1.

edit: Us negroes know bout them bidness thangs too

FEAR THE REAPER

Last edited by Kinako; 11-09-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Kinako is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinako For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #42
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about

Not all blacks steal.

Fuck that.
Also, I understand where both sides are coming from - but AMA your situation is unique. Most people (or urban folks) don't have to drive 20 miles to the nearest store. [and the store that is close overprices shit]
But what Mal is saying, is that is what business is about - obviously - gaining profit. Paying employees, Billboards, Building costs, etc. is generally the reason prices are higher at some stores.

A gallon of milk at Walmart is about 3 dollars, but at the corner store its about 5-6. Corner stores make less money, so they charge more.

Edit:This discussion has strayed from the original topic.

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..

Last edited by KillerNN; 11-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #43
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, I certainly don't advertise this shit in RL. But this is the internet, so whatever. There's only 1 person on this forum that actually knows me in RL, and he's my brother. Whether or not people find it "cool" is irrelevant. It simply is what it is.
Poor word choice. My meaning was.
cool=/=popular
cool=morally acceptable

It just seemed like an odd thing to brag about. As Miduro said under extenuating circumstances I would not look at it so harshly either. However wobbling into your local Walgreens, and walking out with a pack of disposable bic razors. Does not equal you battling against a perceived injustice.

Plus I feel a certain satisfaction being able to plop down the plastic, and pay for the things I need. May not be able to afford the biggest TV or the nicest car, but I don't need those things either.

Quote:
It has been while since I worked in a retail environment, but the company I worked for had an acceptable/expected amount of loss per day/week/month. Now just having you steal their merchandise might not exceed that limit. Imagine though that a dozen or 100 people are stealing, and the loss is driven higher than whats acceptable. Your grocery store would then be forced to try and recover that money through 'raising prices'.

Thus you may inadvertently be battling against your own cause.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-10-2010), Kinako (11-09-2010), Mal (11-09-2010), Miburo (11-09-2010), Sensei-Q (11-10-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #44
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerNN View Post
Also, I understand where both sides are coming from - but AMA your situation is unique. Most people (or urban folks) don't have to drive 20 miles to the nearest store. [and the store that is close overprices shit]
But what Mal is saying, is that is what business is about - obviously - gaining profit. Paying employees, Billboards, Building costs, etc. is generally the reason prices are higher at some stores.
Not to mention I (and my parents) never had a problem paying for what we needed in the small town in which I lived for 8 years. It was also 20ish miles from the nearest city.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-15-2010), Miburo (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #45
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Poor word choice. My meaning was.
cool=/=popular
cool=morally acceptable

It just seemed like an odd thing to brag about. As Miduro said under extenuating circumstances I would not look at it so harshly either. However wobbling into your local Walgreens, and walking out with a pack of disposable bic razors. Does not equal you battling against a perceived injustice.
I wasn't bragging about anything. I just used that to give some sense of perceptive in the example I gave. Nothing else. And I'm not saying I steal shit to fight injustice or anything. Not sure where you got that from. I'm just saying I don't lose any sleep at night over it.

Also I'm not even trying to make the argument that my actions are legitimate simply because I may have a reason behind it. Stealing is wrong, anyway you look at it. I just don't care. My sense of what is "morally acceptable" is just different then the normal views of society. I do what I do because it rewards me for doing so. Bottom line, I'm just a greedy person.

Quote:
It has been while since I worked in a retail environment, but the company I worked for had an acceptable/expected amount of loss per day/week/month. Now just having you steal their merchandise might not exceed that limit. Imagine though that a dozen or 100 people are stealing, and the loss is driven higher than whats acceptable. Your grocery store would then be forced to try and recover that money through 'raising prices'.

Thus you may inadvertently be battling against your own cause.
Not even trying to sound like an asshole or anything, but what others do is not my concern. I could care less if 100 people steal shit. They're the ones in charge of their own lives, and have to face the penalty for being caught. I do get what your saying though, and it sucks that my actions might effect other peoples lives. Though I will say the people who work at my local store are the biggest thieves of them all. I've seen many cashiers "sliding groceries" through the register to people they know. Every time the store has some promotional give-a-way (like a BBQ grill) the store manager (who is suppose to give it away to the customers) ends up taking the shit home. So yeah, I don't lose sleep over my actions, when there are others doing far worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-15-2010)