Tigers could be extinct in 12 years - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,596 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Tigers could be extinct in 12 years

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia – Wild tigers could become extinct in 12 years if countries where they still roam fail to take quick action to protect their habitats and step up the fight against poaching, global wildlife experts told a "tiger summit" Sunday.

The World Wildlife Fund and other experts say only about 3,200 tigers remain in the wild, a dramatic plunge from an estimated 100,000 a century ago.

James Leape, director general of the World Wildlife Fund, told the meeting in St. Petersburg that if the proper protective measures aren't taken, tigers may disappear by 2022, the next Chinese calendar year of the tiger.

Their habitat is being destroyed by forest cutting and construction, and they are a valuable trophy for poachers who want their skins and body parts prized in Chinese traditional medicine.

The summit approved a wide-ranging program with the goal of doubling the world's tiger population in the wild by 2022 backed by governments of the 13 countries that still have tiger populations: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam and Russia.

The Global Tiger Recovery Program estimates the countries will need about $350 million in outside funding in the first five years of the 12-year plan. The summit will be seeking donor commitments to help governments finance conservation measures.

"For most people tigers are one of the wonders of the world," Leape told The Associated Press. "In the end, the tigers are the inspiration and the flagship for much broader efforts to conserve forests and grasslands."

The program aims to protect tiger habitats, eradicate poaching, smuggling, and illegal trade of tigers and their parts, and also create incentives for local communities to engage them in helping protect the big cats.

<truncated>
Just think - we'll be able to finally replace "way of the dodo" with "way of the tiger" before our children leave elementary school (or before some people here even have children for that matter). Disgusting.

However, I do wonder about the date chosen - the matching with the next "Year of the Tiger" seems too perfect. But then, publicity is a good thing in this case.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-21-2010), Human Rasengan (12-07-2010), Kinako (11-21-2010), kluang (11-22-2010), Marlboro (11-22-2010), Miburo (11-21-2010), Nerox (11-21-2010), Numinous (11-21-2010)

Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,597 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice
Re: Tigers could be extinct in 12 years

What this article conveniently left out was that in the early 70's there were less than 1400 tigers in the wild. Compared the the 3200 today (I've seen 3500 in other sources), the population has more then doubled. Given the average life expectancy is 10-15 years, it going to take several decades to get the numbers up higher. The damn cats can only breed so fast. There not rabbits after all.

This article is nothing more then a scheme of some sort to get funds for some BS organization. There are several organizations already set up working on this issue. Project Tiger based in India is hugely successful in their efforts to save the tigers. I don't see any real need to give some n00b organization 350 million dollars. Give it to the already established groups with good track records and let them put it to good use.

Also the governments need to crack down on poaching, big time. That's the real issue here. Pass new laws that dictate any poachers caught, will be butt fucked by an elephant. That should solve the problem. :>

Last edited by ask me anything; 11-21-2010 at 06:51 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,596 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

I think habitat loss is a bigger strain on large predators than poaching. When humans being to overrun them, the general reaction is to shoot the predator and not worry about the impact.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-22-2010), Miburo (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Kinako
Chuunin

Thanked 1,443 Times in 684 Posts
Kinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enough

Yeah it mentioned something about that here too. http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stce...019.htm#tigers. I bet this summit you were referring to is the same one mentioned in the article.

FEAR THE REAPER
Kinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,597 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Habitation loss is also a factor. I did a little more reading into the issue, and found that the Tiger population has fallen over 60% in India over the recent years. This was contributed mainly to poaching. It seems there are several areas of the Tigers natural habitat that have been set aside for them, so that's not as much of a critical factor as poaching.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger#India

Quote:
A major concerted conservation effort, known as Project Tiger, has been underway since 1973, initially spearheaded by Indira Gandhi. The fundamental accomplishment has been the establishment of over 25 well-monitored tiger reserves in reclaimed land where human development is categorically forbidden. The program has been credited with tripling the number of wild Bengal tigers from roughly 1,200 in 1973 to over 3,500 in the 1990s. However, a tiger census carried out in 2007, whose report was published on February 12, 2008, stated that the wild tiger population in India declined by 60% to approximately 1,411. it is noted in the report that the decrease of tiger population can be attributed directly to poaching.

Last edited by ask me anything; 11-21-2010 at 11:06 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
01purple (11-21-2010), ACt (11-21-2010), KillerNN (11-21-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Blame the chinese with thier weird medicine of using tiger meat, heart or bone to make them have have the powa of the tiger.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-22-2010), Mal (11-22-2010)