Senate panel approves domain name seizure bill. - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point
Senate panel approves domain name seizure bill.

COICA (Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act)

Cnet's article http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20023238-38.html

Its pretty shocking how fast this proposal is being pushed through the congressional mechanism. This is disturbing to me. Fearing this is more then an attempt to battle copyright infringement, and will be a devastating blow to net neutrality as a whole. And if you do or plan on generating web based income. From say holding content warehouses or acting as front-end sites for such content(not unlike your fandom). It might be wise to follow these developments.

I'm not even into pirating much anymore, but these recent events coupled with the whole ISP priority bandwidth BS. Makes want to set up a proxy, and build a server farm. It all reminds me of a satirical artist rendering from the china google dispute a while back.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough
Re: Senate panel approves domain name seizure bill.

Nothing will change, there will always be a way.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Sonlox
Genin

Sonlox is an unknown quantity at this point

remember the war on drugs?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Remember Pirate Bay? They survive

The only pirated web that will be hurt is within USA.

Does this also effect website that provide free manga reading?

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
Sensei-Q (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Axiom
[something clever]

US citizens/establishments will still be liable to all the standard legal action. Its the Music and Movie Industries spear heading this after all. Consider it reasonably safe to assume the gaming industry will follow suit along with major Publishing houses. Much like the woman being sued for 1.5 million dollars. These kind of hellacious punishments might still await us stateside.

Websites mentioned like the piratebay arguably the flagship of piracy is over sees. This seizure bill will include the authority to have websites congressionally blacklisted. Data carriers blocking sites at dns levels.

What does it mean for your site? I dont know maybe nothing. The recent restructuring of "fandom" that squeaked by the algorithmic change made to googles ranking system seems to have worked out. So you may be right in line for whatever is next. If not though it could be trouble. From the few I looked at. The warehouses for your parents site videos are in countries other then the US. (*)Thus liable to being 'blacklisted' and blocked from the US. You may ask how that would affect your country? Well I do believe that both fandom.com and its forums are on stateside servers. So that should be evident.

*Presuming the various larger anime/manga distribution agencies (digital or otherwise) hope on the wagon.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluang View Post
Remember Pirate Bay? They survive

The only pirated web that will be hurt is within USA.

Does this also effect website that provide free manga reading?
No web sites will be "hurt" by this, it only blocks their domain names, not access to the site. As long as you know the IP address, which is easy to find, you'll still have access.

I'm all for protecting copyright, but this isn't the way to do it.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-24-2010), Axiom (11-24-2010), Miburo (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 AM   #7
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

It isn't so much about protecting copyright as it is profiteering from the legal system. The real money making tactic is where they offer to settle out of court for $3k with no evidence of wrong doing, and they then present a threat for more costly legal suits should you not pay up. Any average joe would pay the $3k and be done. So for nothing more than a "I think I have evidence, but I won't prove it to you" threat, they gain $3k. That's more than a normal person spends on entertainment in several years.

Ir's more profitable. Bills like this lead to more stricter and intrusive government-backed methods of bringing civil suits to Americans for monies. It's a business model that is effective so long as there is any bit of doubt.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freshgrease For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-24-2010), ask me anything (11-24-2010), Axiom (11-24-2010), Mal (11-24-2010), Miburo (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

^ Which is exactly why this isn't the way to do it.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Axiom
[something clever]

Right, I have no issue with the owners of intellectual property trying to safe guard derived products. I would probably do the same. As was said Its not necessarily what they are doing. Yet how they seek to accomplish it, and the possible ramifications if they succeed. Now this initial ruling would have less affect on power users. However the casual internet goer. Who I would think is a majority part of the target consumers for communities of the nature. Would otherwise not see a site that has assured front page google status until the next changeover.

It is not the governments place to be the guard dog for companies like this. Service providers like Verizon and Comcast would have to allow greater, arguably an illegal level of access to costumer information. Blocking domains may only be the first step. If it is of insufficient measure due to some rudimentary DNS spoofing. Its logical to assume it will be pushed farther. The high end implications being a possible closing of entire regions.

Like I said it is what the bill represents in conjunction with other things. I'm actually watching a discussion now touching on these developments and others. Like powerhouses google and facebook attempting to expand collaborative efforts with federal agencies. ISP's pushing to be allowed to manipulated and insert ads into webpages in route through their services. Imagine your ISP well send you a letter saying we have a way they could revolutionize you internet surfing experience. It will be part of the standard package and will cost you a fee to opt out of. Probably actually implementing it as a raise in service fees. Then marketing a negligible discount for it. Inserting ads into websites that was not delivered by the site? Having ads placed in such a fashion would upset both users, webmasters, and site holders alike.

Besides the monetary motivations Fresh mention. I feel this may be a deterrent for future innovation in various technology fields. Hurt the collaborative efforts of communities fighting for a free and open internet. As well allowing oppressive regimes a level control that should not be legal.

tl;dr shits fucked up

EDIT: the show just ended now, and they lovingly named it DNS spoof ability test=)

Last edited by Axiom; 11-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-24-2010), Mal (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Sensei-Q
✪✪✪✪✪

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,726 Posts
Sensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura about

I really wonder how this will turn out.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Axiom
[something clever]

Just an added note to anyone who makes income from or downloads a lot content from. Sites like megaupload, mediafire, rapidshare, hotfile, fileserve to name a few are all on servers, and webmastered stateside. Probably considered major violators they would be on the chopping block as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Sensei-Q
✪✪✪✪✪

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,726 Posts
Sensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura about

Megaupload and some other hosts delete copyrighted material. So nothing wrong with them.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Axiom
[something clever]

Seemingly adhering to DMCA policy has little meaning here. It is a related but different matter. Storage sites like those mentioned above are well aware of how much unique traffic is generate from pirated media. Which is exactly why megaupload, and others have such an arbitrary infringement claim process for property license holders. They only remove media once claims make it through that process and not before. I am fairly certain I can go and download just about any movie I can think of from the likes megaupload. In many cases having said movies been stored for long periods of time. If a warehouse could not conform to a stricter policy, which many do not have the capacity to do so. Then they are still all liable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-24-2010), Sensei-Q (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,597 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-Q View Post
Megaupload and some other hosts delete copyrighted material. So nothing wrong with them.
They only do a half ass job at it though. Usually when someone says something about it.

For example there's this site I use for watching episodes of House. It has something like 25 links you can click on. About 15 of them are Megavideo, of which only 1 or 2 will be deleted because of infringement. The rest are still working.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll move out of fucking America if they keep fucking with my interwebs. Totally fucking serious. And it will totally be their loss, because I'm fucking awesome.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-24-2010), Mal (11-24-2010), Scientia (11-25-2010)