Cooking Time - Page 8 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #106
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,596 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Cooking Time

Part 2: Chicken Stock

Someone before mentioned bovril - bah! Do it yourself, you lazy bastard.

Whenever you eat your cooked chicken, save every bone, fat or uneaten skin (you know, if you are crazy and don't like crispy brown chicken skin). Pick every last scrap of meat off that bird. You might think you got it all, but a lot of people don't really don't eat the back meat along the spine. This works better if you get most of it off. Set it aside because it is still good to eat.

Place bones in pot with water (a couple of cups), the giblets you stored (if you have them) and a tbsp or so of vinegar. Bring to boil and simmer for 30-60 minutes. If you boil all the water out, you didn't add enough so just add more - don't let boil dry. The vinegar isn't necessary but if you add it, it will leech the nutrients and minerals out of the bones which then you get to make yourself healthy. (Maybe you've done the science experiment where you place a leg bone in vinegar and then it goes all bendy because the calcium has been removed. Same principle.)

Remove the pot from heat, let cool. When you can, pull out the bones and giblet, you can toss them out now, and place pot in fridge - or if you are like Canadian's in winter, outside in a snowbank. The cooling will solidify the most of the fat. You've got most of the flavour and probably don't want too much fat in a stock (or do you?) so you can skim it and store away the lovely chicken stock that you can use for any recipe that calls for stock.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (12-03-2010), Miburo (12-02-2010), OG (12-02-2010), TheBaron (12-02-2010)

Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #107
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Part 3 - Chicken Pot Pie

This is an extra recipe for when you have extra meat but not necessarily enough to feed a couple of people.

2 tbsp butter
2 potatoes, chopped
2 onions, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
optional veg: zuccini, mushroom, peas
Leftover chicken, chopped
1/3 cup of flour
1 3/4 cups of milk
1 3/4 cups of stock
1/2 tsp salt, pepper, taragon, oregano

Biscuit top
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole grain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 or less cold butter, cubed
2/3 cups milk

Preheat oven to 400F

Melt butter in pan and fry up your veggies. You'll want the potatoes to be in fairly small cubes (dice size or smaller) so they'll cook faster. Add flour to mixture (maybe more butter too) to create that roux thing talked about before. Stir in milk and stock, heat until it simmers and begins to thicken, add chicken and spices and in a few minutes transfer to 2L bakingware dish. You know - those white pots with lids.

Now, it's not pot pie without a crusty top. So mix flower, salt and cold butter (cubed) and then stir in milk to it is a thick, sticky mess. As best you can, lay it out on top of your chicken/veg mixture. Most likely it'll just clump and won't be even, but hey - that's part of the charm.

Place in oven uncovered for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy and the mix below is bubbling out the edges.

Overall, should only take 20 min to prepare, so one hour meal.
Darth-Nero (12-03-2010), Miburo (12-02-2010), OG (12-02-2010), TheBaron (12-02-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #108
ACt
Heart Wizard

Part 4: Soup.

Yeah, you have stock, you can make soup. Soup is easy. Pretty much cook or boil vegetables in chicken stock and water. Done. Cream soups are different and you add milk or cream, but I'm not big on those - except chowder. But I'll give you a couple of quick ones.

Potato-Onion soup

Fry potato (3-4 medium size) and onion (2-3) in butter. Add stock and water in equal parts. Add pinch of salt and pepper and a tbsp (or as I do, glug) of soy sauce. Simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow flavours to infuse and to reduce somewhat. Then, in appropriate amounts, put soup in food processor/blender and blend to a mush. Put back on heat to make it warm and eat.

OR, place soup in oven safe bowl, put slice of bread on top with cheese of your choice - toast and melt. French Potato-Onion soup.

Minestrone Soup

One of my favourites. Add olive oil, onion, clove of garlic, celery, carrot, zuccini, mushroom (all vegetables are optional and can be replaced), to pot and saute until onions are soft. Add stock and water (1:1), tomato paste (depending on size of soup, 1 of those small cans or half of it) tomato (canned or 3-4 fresh), shredded cabbage, beans or peas, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, sage, 1 cup or so pasta of your choosing. Simmer til cooked and hot. You can also add sausage or some other meat if you like.

_____
And there you go. If you are just one or two people, this could pretty much do you for a week, easily.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #109
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer

TheBaron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm. A somewhat easy soup - doesn't cost a lot, and tastes wonderful.

1 bottle/box of white whine
100G Tomatopaste
Chopped Onions
A bit of chopped Garlic
A little Water
Some fresh Herbs
Bouillon, preferably chicken or beef.

Take a pot, and put all the tomato-paste in it - heat it up, and burn the bitterness out of it. Add 1-2 glasses of whitewhine, and let it boil the alcohol out. Put in the onions, and let them fry for a minute or two. Add the Garlic, and fry for another minute. Now, pour over some bouillon and some normal water - and let boil. Add fresh herbs as you like, finish the taste with salt and pepper - add some cream or Sour Cream if you like, and a bit of bread. Easy to make, tastes wonderful, looks fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBaron For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (12-03-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #110
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

not a fan o foodz with alcoholz.

alcoholz = $$$.

u can haz awesome food without alcoholz

//yasowhitelol

Last edited by OG; 12-02-2010 at 08:35 PM.
OG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (12-03-2010), Miburo (12-03-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #111
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

@Darth- You don't have to use alcoholic beer but I don't see why it matters. The alcohol aspect of it burns off when you cook it.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (12-03-2010), Miburo (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #112
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer

TheBaron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG View Post
not a fan o foodz with alcoholz.

alcoholz = $$$.

u can haz awesome food without alcoholz

//yasowhitelol
Sure you can - but for this recipe I wrote, you don't have to buy the best. If anything, buy the worst. You only need the essence, of what wine is, not the alcohol and different kinds of taste. You need both the sweetness and the bitterness from the whine.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBaron For This Useful Post:
Marlboro (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #113
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

So skipped 5th block of school today, naughty me.
But when I did I went home and I made some delcious, Hot and sour soup with shrimp ; )
My fave soup ever, it was so good with the taste of the shrimp and tofu combined made my mouth water all over.

Ingredients:

3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup presliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 (8-ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 ounces reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 large egg white, beaten
1/4 teaspoon chili oil
2 tablespoons chopped green onions

What to do:

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add juice, pepper, shrimp, and tofu to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are almost done. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly drizzle egg white into pan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chili oil and onions.

Easy simple and tastey ; )
Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #114
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,817 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy212 View Post
So skipped 5th block of school today, naughty me.
But when I did I went home and I made some delcious, Hot and sour soup with shrimp ; )
My fave soup ever, it was so good with the taste of the shrimp and tofu combined made my mouth water all over.

Ingredients:

3 cups fat-free
Stopped reading there.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
-SassyLady- (12-03-2010), ACt (12-03-2010), Darth-Nero (12-03-2010), Miburo (12-03-2010), Servo (12-05-2010), Tabris (07-04-2011), TheBaron (12-04-2010), Vanity (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #115
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Sassy, post pics of yourself.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (12-03-2010), Marlboro (12-04-2010), Servo (12-05-2010), Tabris (07-04-2011), TheBaron (12-04-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #116
Darth-Nero
Victory!

Thanked 1,674 Times in 676 Posts
Darth-Nero is on a distinguished roadDarth-Nero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
That would be criminal, but yeah non alcoholic beer tastes more "maltier" (?). Basically the same I would think.
Will lets say that i'll be ,somewhat,a criminal if i did drink alcohols. some times i drink some balsamic vinegar and think that this is how red wine tastes like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
@Darth- You don't have to use alcoholic beer but I don't see why it matters. The alcohol aspect of it burns off when you cook it.
Will it's not a chance i can take. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Sassy, post pics of yourself.
Yes,Sassy,this is also welcomed in the cooking thread......If you're hot.

No pun intended. XD
Darth-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #117
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Allow me to culture you.

What you will need:

- A cup of tea
- Biscuits

1) You get a lovely cup of tea, not too much milk and leave the tea bag in.

2) Make sure it's good old Traditional English.

3) You buy some biscuits. I have chosen digestive biscuits, normal and chocolate coated, 'cause I don't discriminate against biscuits and neither should you.

4) Now if you're biscuit is too big to fit (hey oooooooh!) you break off a piece and hold it like I'm holding it there. This is to appreciate the design of the biscuit and to take a moment the be thankful of what you're about to eat.

5) You dip it, depending on the type of biscuit it will have different times of dippage. For example I usually follow the rule of 2 seconds maximum with digestives and 3 or 4 with custard creams.
(Edit: Apparently Jaxon does not believe in the 3 to 4 for custard creams... because his biscuits are weak.)

6) You take it out, and put it in your mouth.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Demi-God; 12-05-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (12-05-2010), Darth-Nero (12-13-2010), Nerox (12-05-2010), OG (12-05-2010), Servo (12-05-2010), Tabris (07-04-2011), TheBaron (12-05-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #118
ACt
Heart Wizard

^ Too much milk in that tea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (12-05-2010), Servo (12-05-2010), Tabris (07-04-2011)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #119
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

The flash brah, the flash made it bright. There's a trinkle.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (12-05-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #120
ACt
Heart Wizard

Still too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (12-05-2010)