Scientists create mice from two fathers - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,597 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Scientists create mice from two fathers

OK, this should create a bit of a storm from the anti-gay marriage group in the States, but it's too cool to ignore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/scienceusstemcellsresearch

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AFP) – US scientists have used stem cell technology to create mice from two fathers, an advance that they say could help preserve endangered species and even help same-sex couples have their own genetic children one day.

According to the study published Wednesday in the journal Biology of Reproduction, reproductive scientists in Texas were able to manipulate cells from a male (XY) mouse fetus to produce an induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell line.

These iPS cells are adult cells that have undergone some genetic reprogramming in order to enter an embryonic stem cell-like state.

Some of the cells that were grown from this new line spontaneously lost their Y chromosome, turning them into XO cells.

Those XO cells were injected into embryos from donor female mice and transplanted into surrogate mouse moms who gave birth to babies with one X chromosome from the original male mouse.

Those babies grew and later mated with normal male mice. Their offspring, both male and female, showed genetic contributions from two fathers.

The study was led by Richard R. Berhringer at the MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Researchers said that with a variation of their technique, "it may also be possible to generate sperm from a female donor and produce viable male and female progeny with two mothers."

However, the study cautioned that the ability to replicate the findings in humans was a long way off.

The "generation of human iPS cells still requires significant refinements prior to their use for therapeutic purposes," the study said.

Previous research has found ways to create mice without any fathers at all, as well as ways to create mice with two mothers.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
-SassyLady- (12-15-2010), kael03 (12-15-2010), KillerNN (12-15-2010), Mal (12-15-2010), Numinous (12-15-2010), Sensei-Q (12-17-2010)

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Re: Scientists create mice from two fathers

Well the saying gays will die out because they cant reproduce is thrown out of the window.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (12-15-2010), Kinako (12-17-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
OK, this should create a bit of a storm from the anti-gay marriage group in the States, but it's too cool to ignore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/scienceusstemcellsresearch
The scientific community had the idea for such for quite some time, but it's good to see someone actually do it and be successful. This might save several species from extinction and, who knows, even bring some back with more research on that direction. And, of course, gay couples can have their own children.

But when I went to see the comments on the discovery... it's just deplorable.

Quote:
Same sex couples don't need children! This type of action is an abomination anyway, we certainly do not need to expose innocent children to this type of behavior. God created both male and female, note male and male, nor female and female, of every species, with the exception of man. God made man from the dust of the earth, and breathed life into him, and from him God created female.

Read your Bible if you want the TRUTH.
Quote:
Part of the Satanism movement is about going against or destroying the original design, to erase the World that our Creator had in it's IMAGination, by doing things in reverse.

That's why homosexuality is so popular in the media and society today; It's part of this movement by way of destroying the family unit. As well as the "Feminist" movement: It makes for more manly women, blending and reversing natural gender roles. Modern society calls for men to style their hair, shape their brows, wear jewels and pretty clothes: Feminizing men - all to damage the original design.

This movement is also done with genetically modified foods. The manipulated seeds are usually sterile, and in turn cause those that consume them to be sterile. Yet another layer to the destruction of Creation.

And of course Atheism. If you look up the belief system of the Church of Satan, it is pretty much the same as Atheism: They don't believe in God or the Devil, Heaven or Hell. That there is no being above or before the Universe. And for the Satanist movement, it's much easier to get masses of people to believe there is no Creator at all than it is to get them to follow a known and self-proclaimed Evil.
Quote:
"help same-sex couples have their own genetic children"
THIS is why we HAD to finance stem cell research!?!
Quote:
Playing God is definately bad juju.....and using funds to promote homosexuals....its the same path....just waiting for the time when the great USA falls......so sad....just like Rome
These people need to be castrated. NOW.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
stubborn_d0nkey (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The scientific community had the idea for such for quite some time, but it's good to see someone actually do it and be successful. This might save several species from extinction and, who knows, even bring some back with more research on that direction. And, of course, gay couples can have their own children.
I find gays are strange and creepy

I find lesbian are normal

and I prefer to use sex to have children, thank you very much.

back on science, this is good. Now we can save tigers, whales and whatever species that is threaten.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (12-15-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (12-15-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,770 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

I find it hysterically ironic how this break through of new possibilities for reproduction through same sex gender is coming about from Texas. Other than that I find this whole notion intriguing. Like kluang said, we could use this to save animals and stuff.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spiegel For This Useful Post:
ACt (12-17-2010), Kinako (12-17-2010), Sensei-Q (12-17-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
Like kluang said, we could use this to save animals and stuff.
And that's the primary reason, as I also pointed out.

Quote:
The scientific community had the idea for such for quite some time, but it's good to see someone actually do it and be successful. This might save several species from extinction and, who knows, even bring some back with more research on that direction.
The gay couples getting kids is just for when the technology becomes spread enough for commercialization.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Kinako (12-17-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,924 Posts
Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all

Quote:
OK, this should create a bit of a storm from the anti-gay marriage group in the States, but it's too cool to ignore
Not for some time, those people don't read.
Dagoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dagoro For This Useful Post:
ACt (12-17-2010), Kinako (12-17-2010), Mal (12-17-2010), Sensei-Q (12-17-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,597 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoro View Post
Not for some time, those people don't read.
But the do listen to news agencies that will pounce on this for ratings since it has a "gay" angle. From the local "WTF? I don't understand this" to the CNN "Scientist are forcing uncomfortable situations, should they do this?" to the Fox News "THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING - STOP THE GAYS!!"
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (12-17-2010), Kinako (12-17-2010), Mal (12-17-2010), Numinous (12-17-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Kinako
Chuunin

Thanked 1,443 Times in 684 Posts
Kinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
I find it hysterically ironic how this break through of new possibilities for reproduction through same sex gender is coming about from Texas. Other than that I find this whole notion intriguing. Like kluang said, we could use this to save animals and stuff.
Yeah, that. QFT.
Kinako is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinako For This Useful Post:
stubborn_d0nkey (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about

This is pretty damn awesome.

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerNN For This Useful Post:
stubborn_d0nkey (12-18-2010)