What book are you currently reading? - Page 65 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #961
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Getting closer: Book Ten WoT: Crossroads of Twilight.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #962
candy
Academy Student

candy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see why you guys are trying to get people onto WoT. Crossroads of twilight is the worst book i've nearly read in my life. No plot advancement, just pages and pages of terrible prose and characterization. I started reading the series when I was 12 and even then didn't enjoy anything past book 6.
@itachikillsnaruto- If you haven't read hyperion or dune there pretty much the best sci-fi ever written no matter how old you are.

Also akamaruchewtoy if you're reading this i'd advice skipping Perrin's chapters: literally nothing happens.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #963
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

^ So you read action movies then?
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #964
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,404 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachikillsnaruto View Post
finished star wars the force unleashed 2, looking for another intresting book to read.

something sci-fi with action.
The Republic Commando books are great, especially "Order 66." You need to read the whole series to know what's going on with each character, of course. They are: Hard Contact, Triple Zero, True Colors, and then Order 66. Haven't read the ones after that, though.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #965
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

^ Awesome. I've been looking for some good books set in the Star Wars universe.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #966
candy
Academy Student

Just because I dont like Wot doesn't mean I don't like reading fantasy. It's just happens to be that WoT it the worst epic fantasy i've ever read(haven't read all that much) and i'd be embarressed to recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #967
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,844 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Everyone has different tastes. I happen to enjoy Jordan/Sanderson's writing style in WoT and happily recommend it to people. You may not enjoy it, but don't try to take it away from people that do love it. There are hundreds of thousands of people in the United States alone that read the series.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #968
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
^ Awesome. I've been looking for some good books set in the Star Wars universe.
I haven't read a bad Star Wars book. I'm still building my collection but I own almost every book from the New Jedi Order saga on, plus a few from earlier (Episode 3, Force Unleashed 1).
Old 12-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #969
candy
Academy Student

Brandon Sanderson and RJ's prose isn't debatable or a matter of opinion as far as im concerned, it's just bad. That in and of itself doesn't ruin a book though; I thought BS's mistborn series was alright(what im judging his prose off of). And I doubt you enjoy it, you're just not aware of how much better it could be. Honestly in a genre filled with mediocre writers RJ and BS are at the bottum of the spectrum.

Last edited by candy; 12-24-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #970
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

As I said before, everyone has their own tastes. You don't like WoT, we get that. We don't care anymore. Stop trying to talk us out of reading a series that is ending next year and is very well written (contrary to what you think, RJ wouldn't have been nominated for several awards for his books if they weren't good). Again, we don't have YOUR tastes in books. You've even claimed you don't read much from the fantasy genre so you really don't have anything to compare.

I will agree that a lot of the writers in the fantasy genre are mediocre. But you have to realize that they take a lot of influence from Tolkien or Lovecraft. Of course other works will seem mediocre when compared to the legends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Mal (12-26-2010), Nerox (12-26-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #971
candy
Academy Student

To say who's prose is best is a matter of taste; to say BS's prose is good is delusion. And why do you think im trying to talk you out of reading the series? I was compelled to let any poor soul who wanders in here know that ALOT of people think WoT terrible for a myriad of reasons.

I'll concede the first book or two were reasonably well writ and enjoyable; than you're smacked in the face with unreality of every fathomable facet; Comically poor depiction of political situations(NJ rand outmaneuvering masters of daeries da mar by simply refusing to participate in it), increasingly unrealistic characters(wow those aes sedai have such depths to them; RJ's grasp of the human condition is incredible), and the whole "taveren" bullshit taken in the stupidest fucking direction conceivable: omnipotence. All while quality of plot and prose plummet to oblivion.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #972
Scientia
Francesca

Scientia is on a distinguished roadScientia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB View Post
I just finished Lolita by Nabokov
How was this book, anyway?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #973
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy View Post
To say who's prose is best is a matter of taste; to say BS's prose is good is delusion. And why do you think im trying to talk you out of reading the series? I was compelled to let any poor soul who wanders in here know that ALOT of people think WoT terrible for a myriad of reasons.
Again, you are perfectly entitled to YOUR opinion. But you don't need to push it onto others. Someone comes in asking about it, we'll give our opinion on it and let them take it from there. No need for you to scare someone away from something they may or may not enjoy. The series is a good series. Like every other novel in existence, there are things that could be done differently. In MY opinion, as well as ACt/Nerox/others (more people than the haters), the series is well written and sucks a person in.

Someone comes in and asks for suggestions and we give them. Whether or not they take those suggestions is up to them. We don't press someone into reading a book (seriously, at least).

It's called broadening one's horizons. You should try it sometime instead of slamming an entire genre. I would recommend Goosebumps as a start.
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Nerox (12-26-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #974
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer

TheBaron is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget it Kael - ppl. of his kind are the type of person who thinks, that their opinion is the right one, and the only one allowed.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #975
candy
Academy Student

Ok. What's happening here is that you obviously like Brandon Sanderson. Thus, you find it hard to accept or even consider that the quality of his prose as bad; thus, being human and such, probably had no idea what the fuck prose even meant, and while pretending you did, assumed his was good. Because you interpret reality in the most self flattering way; you like BS, so his prose must be good. Thus, you iterate nonsensical words and phrases (The difference between horrid and peotic prose is a matter of opinion? And so is evolution, yet the evidence is so insurmountable i'd as soon disbelieve my existance.) making no real argument, in an attempt to make manifest your deluded view of reality.

And to propose Sanderson's prose as good is to oppose reality(I will show you 10 critics reviews stating how terrible his writing is for every 1 you show me praising it).Than there's this fact you seem loathe to comprehend: this doesn't mean his books are bad.

Secondly, I didn't bash the genre. This goes along with your assumption that mediocre prose is equivilient to meaning a bad book and goes along with my assumption that your understanding of said word is, at the least, flawed.

And your last statement was a vain instinct to socially posture; make fun of my intellect by recommending me goosebumps, preceded by a statement that was nonsense in the guise of wisdom: purportedly conveying yourself as one of prodigious knowledge and intellect. Cool story bro.

@thebaron: Stop pretending like you have any clue what's going on around you; whereupon, by not spending your limited intellect pretending, you may actually begin understanding what's going on... See what I did there?

Last edited by candy; 12-28-2010 at 01:43 AM.