What book are you currently reading? - Page 66 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums



Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #976
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Wow. What did I start? My only comment was on your "nothing happens" argument, which I dismiss because it is up to the reader as to what "something" is. You obviously were stating you preferred an action laden story rather than one with plotting, thinking, supposition and hearsay/word of mouth driven plot. Preference is different.

But based on your attacking of RJ's prose (I haven't reached BS's writing for WoT yet), I'm guessing you don't like a lot of fantasy that often takes odder structures to affect the reading experience. You must have hated Tolkien who had some of the driest and awkward prose in the 20th century. Of course, I love his works despite that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy View Post
Ok. What's happening here is that you obviously like Brandon Sanderson. Thus, you find it hard to accept or even consider that the quality of his prose as bad; thus, being human and such, probably had no idea what the fuck prose even meant, and while pretending you did, assumed his was good.
Dissembling that argument: "when given the same evidence as me, you disagreed with my assessment, thus you are wrong." Wow, sir. You are telling me we shouldn't question your intelligence after trying to bludgeon the argument with that gem?

Quote:
Because you interpret reality in the most self flattering way; you like BS, so his prose must be good. Thus, you iterate nonsensical words and phrases (The difference between horrid and peotic prose is a matter of opinion? And so is evolution, yet the evidence is so insurmountable i'd as soon disbelieve my existance.) making no real argument, in an attempt to make manifest your deluded view of reality.
You are actually arguing aesthetics?! Do you like red? I dislike red. Thus, anyone who likes red is wrong. That's pretty much what you've laid out here.

Quote:
And to propose Sanderson's prose as good is to oppose reality(I will show you 10 critics reviews stating how terrible his writing is for every 1 you show me praising it).Than there's this fact you seem loathe to comprehend: this doesn't mean his books are bad.
It isn't about numbers. Kael likes it, you don't. End of argument.

Quote:
Secondly, I didn't bash the genre. This goes along with your assumption that mediocre prose is equivilient to meaning a bad book and goes along with my assumption that your understanding of said word is, at the least, flawed.
Feels like a redefinition of the argument, but I'll accept and discuss.

I would disagree with your statement that you can have a good book with bad prose. Bad prose can completely destroy a novel, due to the fact that the prose will drive your imagination to fill in the gaps and lack of visuals. If the prose is bad, any number of plot twists can't save it, because the novel will hold no depth. I have read any number of cookie-cutter suspense/thriller/mystery/fantasy novels that have had sub-par prose and surprise plots, but wouldn't call any of them good reads. Easy reads come to mind.

WoT is a massive story with a very deep and convoluted plot. The prose reflects that with the careful pace it sets. I could see complaints with the slow placing (especially in the later books you mentioned, and I do agree to some extent) and overuse of description and character thoughts, but that is part of the way RJ has allowed for such a massive cast and plot, by giving equal weight to any number of characters, important or not. Gives a level of strength to the novel. I like it. I find it engrossing and consuming. I would not recommend WoT to a casual reader who wants a beginning - end story, because it will take the 14 novels to get there. But for the fantasy reader, it is a story on a massive scale that should be experienced.

Of course, I have many other novels and series I would recommend higher. Song of Fire and Ice is a much better read because it does a lot of the same things that WoT does, but does not come off as heavy or convoluted. But again, that's all taste.

Quote:
And your last statement was a vain instinct to socially posture; make fun of my intellect by recommending me goosebumps, preceded by a statement that was nonsense in the guise of wisdom: purportedly conveying yourself as one of prodigious knowledge and intellect. Cool story bro.
What do you have against Goosebumps? You too good for youth lit?

Quote:
@thebaron: Stop pretending like you have any clue what's going on around you; whereupon, by not spending your limited intellect pretending, you may actually begin understanding what's going on... See what I did there?
Finally, to top it all off, after chastising someone for insulting someone's intellect, you poorly word a retort against someone else's, possibly under the guise of "this is what you are doing to me", but still, kind of a jerk move.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (12-28-2010), Mal (12-28-2010), Nerox (01-11-2011)


Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #977
Demi-God
BEST
 
Demi-God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,327
Thanks: 2,762
Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all
Re: What book are you currently reading?

i red hary pottr 2 becus i thnk its veri intellgent an allother book suck

Seriously though, started WoT. Has a guy in a cloak, looking forward to the rest.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (12-28-2010), kael03 (12-28-2010), Nerox (01-11-2011), TheBaron (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #978
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer
 
TheBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Liqourville.
Age: 23
Posts: 525
Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 654 Times in 388 Posts
TheBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy View Post
@thebaron: Stop pretending like you have any clue what's going on around you; whereupon, by not spending your limited intellect pretending, you may actually begin understanding what's going on... See what I did there?
You know what? I read one of your posts, and that was enough for me to realize, that you are a complete idiot. Now, I have to admit that I forgot what you wrote, so it was not that important or intelligent - so if you wouldn't mind getting the fuck away from my dick, I would be very pleased. See what I did there?


EDIT! Found the post that you screwed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy View Post
Brandon Sanderson and RJ's prose isn't debatable or a matter of opinion as far as im concerned, it's just bad. That in and of itself doesn't ruin a book though; I thought BS's mistborn series was alright(what im judging his prose off of). And I doubt you enjoy it, you're just not aware of how much better it could be. Honestly in a genre filled with mediocre writers RJ and BS are at the bottum of the spectrum.
How can you say, what can be better? Sure, it can be better - BY YOUR OWN TASTE! If Kael likes the style and book, and makes him want to read it - what is your fucking problem? Get the fuck off a brothers back, let him read the goddamn book, and go back to read Winnie the Pooh. Or whatever childish shit you read. (Not that Winnie the Pooh is bad!)

When the time comes, and you have become a bookreporter for Amazon or some shit like that - get back to me, and I might consider reading whatever the hell you write about a book. Until then, leave me the fuck alone, and let me read the fucking books I prefer. Fuck you and goodnight.
__________________
2nd. coolest thread ever.
http://www.fandom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61424

Last edited by TheBaron; 12-28-2010 at 03:06 PM.
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBaron For This Useful Post:
kael03 (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #979
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις
 
KillerNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 3,563
Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about
Re: What book are you currently reading?

So I'm re-reading all of the books I read in my Middle School years just for a change in things so right now I'm reading the Young Bond Series, Left Behind:1, and the Gatekeeper series. I already finished the Cirque Du Freak, Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson and The Olympians series.
__________________
Call me out on my stupid shit, and I'll return the favor.
If you leave me rep, put your name so I can rep you back.
The Cap'n

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #980
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer
 
TheBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Liqourville.
Age: 23
Posts: 525
Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 654 Times in 388 Posts
TheBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Nice - I just read something written by Ildefonso Falcones - Cathedral of the Sea
Fuck me it's good. Going on to read The Pillars of the Earth by Kenn Follet now :=)
__________________
2nd. coolest thread ever.
http://www.fandom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61424
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBaron For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #981
RNB
El Topo
 
RNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 21
Posts: 1,169
Thanks: 3,293
Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayrra View Post
How was this book, anyway?
Lolita was pretty solid, stylistically. The narrative was told really well, and I think that Nabokov writing style and storytelling abilities are his strengths. As far as the value of the story itself, I don't really know how I feel about it. I feel like I missed something, since I have heard that it is about totalitarianism, but if it is about totalitarianism, is the story of Lolita really the best medium of communicating that subject?

I had to read Speak, Memory by Nabakov over the summer for my AP Literature class. Nabakov is an amazing writer, but the book was poorly put together, in my opinion. It is a collection of a lot of different writings he wrote about himself, so I feel that the parts are greater than the whole. My First Poem was a really good chapter.

Right now I am reading Samuel Beckett's Watt. I am actually starting to get
Beckett after having read Murphy andWaiting for Godot. I have always liked the themes behind his stories, but I am really starting to understand his sense of humor, which seemed boring at the time I read the other too, but not so much Godot.

I just finished reading Brave New World for school. I thought I would hate Huxley because of his views on LSD and such, but I came out agreeing with him more often then not in BNW. I don't think what he had to say was amazing, though, as it has been said by many. His writing style is horrible, though.

After finishing Watt I want to start The Count of Monte Cristo, which I got last Christmas and have not read yet.
__________________
"Nature loves to be hidden."

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-02-2011), Mal (12-28-2010), Scientia (12-28-2010)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #982
Azumi
유아쿨입유캔리드디스
 
Azumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the land of rubbershoes and dirty ice cream... ;o)
Posts: 3,701
Thanks: 730
Thanked 354 Times in 271 Posts
Azumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

The House Beautiful by Allison Burnett.
__________________


I LOL'D.
삳 압. 유 아 이스투피드.
Azumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #983
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart
 
-SassyLady-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: -Nebraska-
Age: 20
Posts: 2,044
Thanks: 1,239
Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough
Re: What book are you currently reading?

6th book of the Vampire Academy and Omega Place two books I'm reading at the moment. =0
__________________
-SassyLady- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #984
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Book 10 is done! On to the next one - Book 0: New Spring. (Pst - it's a prequel.)

Bah. Screw it. I'm reading Book 11: Knife of Dreams, too.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (01-08-2011), Nerox (01-11-2011), TheBaron (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #985
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις
 
KillerNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 3,563
Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Left Behind.

u mad?
__________________
Call me out on my stupid shit, and I'll return the favor.
If you leave me rep, put your name so I can rep you back.
The Cap'n

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #986
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerNN View Post
Left Behind.

u mad?
Me? Naw... people read trash all the time.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (01-08-2011), RNB (01-09-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #987
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις
 
KillerNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 3,563
Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
Me? Naw... people read trash all the time.
Haha, that wasn't directed at you ACT.


Edit: But I knew some anti-Christian member was going to post something eventually.
__________________
Call me out on my stupid shit, and I'll return the favor.
If you leave me rep, put your name so I can rep you back.
The Cap'n

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..

Last edited by KillerNN; 01-08-2011 at 05:24 PM.
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #988
kael03
Aspiring Physicist
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 28
Posts: 4,691
Thanks: 4,760
Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough
Re: What book are you currently reading?

I'm an Atheist and I've read most of the Left Behind books. The faith part fell on deaf ears but I enjoyed reading about the people left behind in the Rapture and survivng the signs of the Apocalypse while fighting againt Carpathia as the Anti-Christ. For a religion based series it was well written.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #989
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerNN View Post
Haha, that wasn't directed at you ACT.


Edit: But I knew some anti-Christian member was going to post something eventually.
Heh. Well, first off, Atheist =/= anti-Christian. I'm not. I'm not even truly anti-religion. I am against segments of it that are out-dated, ignorant, sexist, racist, brainwashing and backward, and I am completely for the separation of all religion from matters of state, but I accept there are positive forces in people of faith that should be encouraged.

As for the series, I know nothing about it. I do not believe there is anything written that people should not read (I've read 75% or so of the Bible - freaken psalms - and have considered the Quran to see what the fuss is about). But if you let such works brainwash you and make you into some of the strange freaks who promote and demand that you believe such nonsense, then we have a problem.

But I know you are better than that from comments on your faith. So, all power to you.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (01-08-2011), KillerNN (01-08-2011), TheBaron (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #990
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις
 
KillerNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 3,563
Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
Heh. Well, first off, Atheist =/= anti-Christian. I'm not. I'm not even truly anti-religion. I am against segments of it that are out-dated, ignorant, sexist, racist, brainwashing and backward, and I am completely for the separation of all religion from matters of state, but I accept there are positive forces in people of faith that should be encouraged.

As for the series, I know nothing about it. I do not believe there is anything written that people should not read (I've read 75% or so of the Bible - freaken psalms - and have considered the Quran to see what the fuss is about). But if you let such works brainwash you and make you into some of the strange freaks who promote and demand that you believe such nonsense, then we have a problem.

But I know you are better than that from comments on your faith. So, all power to you.
Haha, again I know your not anti-Christian but many members are. And yeah, some/most Christians are assholes.
__________________
Call me out on my stupid shit, and I'll return the favor.
If you leave me rep, put your name so I can rep you back.
The Cap'n

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerNN For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-09-2011)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.