What book are you currently reading? - Page 68 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #1006
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Please you two, read on, the awesomeness of ToM has to be discussed. And you are not being mocked, I just thought you might not enjoy being spoiled again.

What's your progress ACt?
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #1007
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Halfway through Knife of Dreams and just about done New Spring. Protip to those who will read WoT - don't read New Spring. It's particularly terrible. Almost completely wrecked Moraine's character irrevocably.

About to start Book Seven of the Death Gate Cycle: The Seventh Gate as well. So, book twelve won't be done for a few weeks and THEN I can work on the catch up.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #1008
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

I guess New Spring should be read as a prequel only. I mean there are about 30? 40? years between New Spring and Eye of the World.
But you are right, though I liked Lan in the prequel. And in every other book. By far my favorite side character. Tai'shar Malkier.

So, some more weeks, I guess we can wait that long. Or PM kael when he's finished.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #1009
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

There's the other thread - I'll stay out of it and alter the first post to "SPOILERS!"

Even Lan wasn't much in that one, but no, from what I've read it seems like only 20 years before Eye Of The World (unless there is some reveal at the end) which makes Moraine seem so young which totally clashes with her Gandalf status in the first few books.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #1010
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
I guess New Spring should be read as a prequel only. I mean there are about 30? 40? years between New Spring and Eye of the World.
~16 years. New Spring ends when Rand is born and he was about 16 when Eye of the World started.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #1011
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanks, timelines are not my best subject...
Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #1012
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Now reading Good Enough and Nicholas Dane (dont worry I truly can read two books at the same time I'm a book geek)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #1013
EphemeralStar
Genin

EphemeralStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Was reading Leap Of Faith - Danielle Steel... but it wasn't mine, so I couldn't finish it xD
EphemeralStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #1014
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Just finished Towers of Midnight and...yeah. Next year can't get here soon enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Nerox (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #1015
ACt
Heart Wizard

^ Wait until it is delayed for another six months, instead of early 2012.

Anyway, finished Knife of Dreams. Using spoiler tags, tell me why it was named that? What knife? I figured the ruby dagger would have factored... but no... also (spoiler warning):

What was with the writing the capture of Semirhage? Rand see's flicker, omg it's Semirhage, BIG BALL OF FLAME! Rand wakes up with a few less fingers and everyone else relatively OK and Semirhage captured. What the fuck? What a waste. C'mon... switch to someone else, probably Min, and give us the scene you lazy dead guy! Also, what a stupid forsaken.

Anyway, on to The Gathering Storm.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #1016
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

To be honest, Knife of Dreams was the book I disliked the most. It seemed to just drag along the lines and also felt very forced. Perhaps Jordan was about to die when he wrote this, who knows.

But be assured, Gathering Storm will not disappoint.

Fuck yeah, A Memory of Light...it will be epic.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #1017
ACt
Heart Wizard

I actually didn't mind most of the book. I thought Crossroads of Twilight and Winter's Heart were way slower in terms of pacing and a lot less happened. Just the ending of Knife of Dreams contained too much "and this is going on" that it seemed rushed. Perhaps health was an issue.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #1018
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

I liked Winter's Heart, and Crown of Swords better. Matter of personal opinion I suppose. And now onwards to Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight. I think Sanderson does an incredible job.

And kael, how did you like ToM?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #1019
ACt
Heart Wizard

Probably.
Maybe I like Knife of Dreams because it made Egwene seem truly like a credible leader. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the women in this series... except for some of the Wise Ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Nerox (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #1020
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
I liked Winter's Heart, and Crown of Swords better. Matter of personal opinion I suppose. And now onwards to Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight. I think Sanderson does an incredible job.
Don't let candy read this part. They'll think you have no taste or whatever.

Quote:
And kael, how did you like ToM?
I thought it was really good. A few things bugged me, one I already addressed.

I did like Graendal betraying Aran'gar like she did. Makes the power struggle among the Forsaken more realistic instead of just "I'm going to plot away at becoming Nae'blis but not do a damn thing". I did not, however, like that she could use the True Power when it was established earlier that Moridin was the only one allowed to do that. There was no explanation as to why the Dark One granted her access to that. I also figured she was the one behind Asmodean's death, but I'd like to know how she did it instead of having a vague hint from Shaidar Haran.

Padan Fain is now able to summon Mashadar? Wtf? I thought that was a centralized evil of Shadar Logoth that was destroyed during the cleansing of saidin? Also he goes from being able to kill with a touch to corrupting dead trollocs...what? A little more explanation of this would be nice instead of his 3 pages he got in the book.

The Asha'man that Taim knocked out is apparently irrelevant now. It's been more than a night since he did that and nothing was said if he lived through the night or not. He was about to tell the Red sisters something and I'd like to know what it was.

It feels like Sanderson is trying to rush to the Last Battle and is leaving out a few things Jordan alluded to in earlier books. First is Min's viewing of Aviendha carrying Rand's fraternal quadruplets. He's at the border of the Blight and she's in the Waste. I know they can make gateways but with what she saw during her second trip through the pillars combined with her not knowing the grounds near that valley, I don't know how fast she'll get away from the Wise Ones to go get pregnant.

Logain is apparently MIA now with no explanations.

Rand needs to deal with the Black Tower before he goes to break the seals. He needs everyone he can get and he's leaving his own men out of the fight? I'm hoping that Sanderson has him Travel to the Black Tower and kill Taim while freeing the corrupted Asha'men, if possible, in Memory of Light.

Slayer was never resolved. I don't like how he was depicted as just a tool for the Forsaken, especially when he's been hunting others on top of hunting Perrin. It's too easy an explanation for his actions and I like him being an unknown factor.

Manetheren. It needs to happen. I don't like this "Province of Andor" crap resolution that they agreed to. The old blood is surfacing and the people of the Two Rivers hold Perrin as their lord. The flag was found and raised. Manetheren is going to rise as it's own kingdom. I would figure it would rise as an ally to Andor, also. Especially with the marriage arrangements for Perrin and Elayne's children set up in the bargain.

Now for things I like. I like how powerful of a healer Nynaeve is becoming. She never ceases to amaze me. Now she can heal taint induced madness on everyone except Rand. From what I gathered the "light" she saw in his mind when she Delved him was feeding the madness and it was too far spread for her to Heal.

The final confrontation with the gholam was epic. I liked how Mat ended it and his speech at the end.

Perrin's new hammer being forged by instinct both by him and by Neald's power wrought weaves.

Mesaana's downfall was cool. She was claiming dominance over the world of dreams due to her experience and Egwene left her a child with her own natural Dreamer talent.
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Nerox (01-26-2011)