Uprisings in Bahrain....The next egypt? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,660 Times in 1,601 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice
Uprisings in Bahrain....The next egypt?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/416386...deastn_africa/
Nice interactive feature at the bottom on page.

Democracy and justice are spreading. Fuck yeah!!!

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
ACt (02-22-2011)

Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

Thanked 4,716 Times in 2,858 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice
Re: Uprisings in Bahrain....The next egypt?

Apparently everyone is growing a pair these days.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Bahrain's revolts will be in no way like Egypt's. The early, bloody crackdown is likely to not be the last. The US will continue to urge Bahrain to seek a peaceful resolution, but that is all they will do. Bahrain is too important of an ally, and plays too big a role in the US acquisition of oil from the Middle East.

On a more personal note, my cousin was living there with her Lebanese First Mate husband until recently when she found out she was pregnant. They decided to move back to Canada for the health care and citizenship.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (02-21-2011), ask me anything (02-20-2011), Darth-Nero (02-20-2011), Marlboro (02-21-2011), Nerox (02-20-2011), Sensei-Q (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,660 Times in 1,601 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

How do you think the crackdowns will play out now that international media is really taking notice? It seems the White House is already trying to intervene. Yesterday the military stood down and left the main cities over there. Will this embolden the protesters, and push their cause. Or will it frighten then since the government already allegedly assassinating dissidents and will do so even more once coverage to die down.

It seems protest all over the middle east have been surging since the start of the year. Most of it has been completely unreported by the American media until egypt just got too big to Ignore. I just wonder if this is the new "in thing" for the media now. Seems like every reporter has jumped on the Egyptian story by now, and others are scouring the globe for their next big scoop.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Libya seems to be next. Gaddafi has already regulated internet access and television, and it seems the military and police started shooting at protesters. It was also reported, that the first soldiers are rising up against the regime as well.

Gaddafi has always been a thorn in the side of the UN, so I believe we will hear sharp words against the regime in Libya, from all important gouvernment leaders. Unless Gaddafi is prepared to fight a very bloody civil war, in my opinion, he will be forced out of office in the next weeks.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-21-2011), Mal (02-21-2011), ninjalostboy95 (02-20-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
Marlboro
Drop The World <3

Thanked 1,121 Times in 669 Posts
Marlboro is on a distinguished roadMarlboro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Bahrain's revolts will be in no way like Egypt's. The early, bloody crackdown is likely to not be the last. The US will continue to urge Bahrain to seek a peaceful resolution, but that is all they will do. Bahrain is too important of an ally, and plays too big a role in the US acquisition of oil from the Middle East.
I agree with this. The protests in Bahrain, Libya, Yemen etc. won't be the same as the protests that were in Egypt.

The reason is because- in Egypt, the government waited too long before they decided to do anything. Which is not the case in Bahrain right now. The moment the protests broke out, the police interfered. And since the police seem to be doing a good job on their own right now (bombing the people with tear gas, bullets etc.) the army would have no need to interfere.

The uprisings in Libya and Yemen are comparatively lesser than in Bahrain. It seems that all the Middle-Eastern countries that are not happy with the way that their government operates, are gonna plan a revolution. They watched Egypt pull it off and now they think that they can as well. Egypt was inspired by the uprising in Tunisia which had happened about two weeks ago from the Egyptian protest.

The reason why I think that the other countries won't pull off what Egypt pulled off, and they won't, is cuz in Egypt, the army joined forces with the civilians and helped them in the process. But I don't see that happening anywhere else. Unless the army is sick as well of their president.

I am the stone that the builder refused
I am the visual, the inspiration
That makes ladies sing the blues

Last edited by Marlboro; 02-21-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlboro For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
The uprisings in Libya and Yemen are comparatively lesser than in Bahrain.
That is false. There is no escalation of violence in Bahrain, unlike in Lybia.

The German media report that Gaddafi just had fighters attack a group of protesters. Eyewitnesses report that it was a massacre in the streets. And like I predicted, the Western states condemend the actions and warn Gaddafi to not let the violence escalate.

And the religious leaders as well as the most powerful arab tribes, which control the oil delivery, are rising up against Gaddafi as well. If the violence against the protesters does not stop, there will be a civil war, which will even top the riots in Egypt. Only a matter of time until most of the people will be armed...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-21-2011), Mal (02-22-2011), ninjalostboy95 (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Marlboro
Drop The World <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
That is false. There is no escalation of violence in Bahrain, unlike in Lybia.
Well, maybe so. But I think that the reaction from the Bahrain government is more than in Libya.

Quote:
The German media report that Gaddafi just had fighters attack a group of protesters. Eyewitnesses report that it was a massacre in the streets. And like I predicted, the Western states condemend the actions and warn Gaddafi to not let the violence escalate.
If the rebellion against Gaddafi in Libya grows, which I am sure it will- I don't think that Gaddafi would release the prisoners to go fight off the protesters like Hosni did. I think that Hosni's case should be an example to why it would fail hardly. I see Gaddafi packing his family and getting out of the country in the end.

Quote:
And the religious leaders as well as the most powerful arab tribes, which control the oil delivery, are rising up against Gaddafi as well. If the violence against the protesters does not stop, there will be a civil war, which will even top the riots in Egypt. Only a matter of time until most of the people will be armed...
And a civil war would just cause Libya more destruction after it's over. I am sure that the European or Western countries would try to control the markets and probably invade Libya in case of a civil war breaking out.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Quote:
Well, maybe so. But I think that the reaction from the Bahrain government is more than in Libya.
Yeah right, fighters bombarding streets and protesters, tanks and soldiers shooting at them, is far better than prisoners fighting the protesters.

Quote:
If the rebellion against Gaddafi in Libya grows, which I am sure it will- I don't think that Gaddafi would release the prisoners to go fight off the protesters like Hosni did. I think that Hosni's case should be an example to why it would fail hardly. I see Gaddafi packing his family and getting out of the country in the end.
Libya is a goddamn militaristic dictatorship, Gaddafi has more military at his disposal than prisoners. And soldier, heavy armed and equipped, are far "better" fighters than prisoners. And if the public is strong enough to continue fighting, eventually Gaddafi will be killed or flee the country, like I said before.

Quote:
And a civil war would just cause Libya more destruction after it's over. I am sure that the European or Western countries would try to control the markets and probably invade Libya in case of a civil war breaking out.
That is right, and I implied that in my opinion. And for you information, no European states would invade Libya to quell a civil war. And neither would the USA. If Gaddafi is defeated, I believe the military will seize the power and hopefully promise elections like in Egypt. The people of Libya have to deal with their problems by themselves, and foreign military is not really helping.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice

If these outbreaks continue, I believe the U.S and other nations will jump in to keep their "International relationship" intact with said countries because of their "International dependence." It may not happen, but it's possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

They have no legitimate reason to "jump in". The people are only fighting against a gouvernment they don't want anymore. And they aren't allowed to topple reigning regimes, well, not officially. There is war in so many countries/states and nobody cares, why should the international community invade any african/arab country? The only thing Europe, especially southern Europe has to ponder over, is the rising arrivals of fugitives. The oil will continue to flow, wheather under Gaddafi or another power.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

I didn't mean as in war or invasion, I meant as in politically, sorry for the confusion there.

Last edited by ninjalostboy95; 02-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Marlboro
Drop The World <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
Yeah right, fighters bombarding streets and protesters, tanks and soldiers shooting at them, is far better than prisoners fighting the protesters.
You should check out the situation over at Bahrain. People are actually getting killed over there!

Quote:
Libya is a goddamn militaristic dictatorship, Gaddafi has more military at his disposal than prisoners. And soldier, heavy armed and equipped, are far "better" fighters than prisoners. And if the public is strong enough to continue fighting, eventually Gaddafi will be killed or flee the country, like I said before.
The military might actually try to take up another stance. Just like Hosni, Gaddafi has been ruling the country for like 40+ years. So, even his military probably got tired of this regime. So they might turn against him. In which case, he would have to act like Hosni did and release the prisoners.

Quote:
That is right, and I implied that in my opinion. And for you information, no European states would invade Libya to quell a civil war. And neither would the USA. If Gaddafi is defeated, I believe the military will seize the power and hopefully promise elections like in Egypt. The people of Libya have to deal with their problems by themselves, and foreign military is not really helping.
State some reasons why the Western countries wouldn't invade Libya. And that's probably what's going yo happen if Gaddafi is defeated.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

^Umm I think you're supposed to provide the reasons why they would invade Libya, not the other way around.

Last edited by ninjalostboy95; 02-21-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Quote:
You should check out the situation over at Bahrain. People are actually getting killed over there!
You don't read what I post do you? Gaddafi has jetfighter, you know, MiGs or whatever type they use, bombard protesters. With bombs, explosions and all that stuff. On the streets. Against protesters. I'd that is a bit more extreme.

Quote:
The military might actually try to take up another stance. Just like Hosni, Gaddafi has been ruling the country for like 40+ years. So, even his military probably got tired of this regime. So they might turn against him. In which case, he would have to act like Hosni did and release the prisoners.
Like I said before, some soldiers have already risen up against Gaddafi. Is it so hard to read what I write? But the fact stands, that Gaddafi still has control over most of the military, and lets the soldiers shoot protesters with tanks and aircrafts.

Quote:
State some reasons why the Western countries wouldn't invade Libya. And that's probably what's going yo happen if Gaddafi is defeated.
See my post above dude. There is no legitimate reason to invade Libya. Noone has done it before, when Gaddafi's regime was rooted, and it will not happen now. Also, if Libya is "freed" by, say the US, that would not instill a believe in democracy in the people of Libya. Some groups might start to fight the foreign troops as well, and then we have a situation like now in Iraq. And I don't think that it is worth achieving.
Further, Libya is in the UN, so I think the other nations are not allowed to simply "invade" the country. Perhaps some UN blue helmet troops could be sent to help establish a new regime, but normally, blue helmet troops don't fight against the rulers of the land. And that is still Gaddafi.
There are more reasons, but these are the obvious ones.