9.0 earthquake leads to Tsunami and crazy fuckery in Japan - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 8.9 earthquake leads to Tsunami and fires in Japan

Everyone should watch this, beginning to end without skipping through it. It's ridiculous how slow it build ups, you hardly even notice. It's only 6 minutes long, and if you can't watch that then I worry for you.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (03-14-2011), AniMeFaN (03-14-2011), kael03 (03-14-2011), kluang (03-14-2011), Shrike (03-14-2011)

Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #32
AniMeFaN
Chuunin

AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point

video is absolutely insane
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #33
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Oh, wow. I'm just sitting here admiring the cameraman's nerves and steady hands. I was chanting, "get up the stairs, get up the stairs!"
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #34
AniMeFaN
Chuunin

AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
Oh, wow. I'm just sitting here admiring the cameraman's nerves and steady hands. I was chanting, "get up the stairs, get up the stairs!"
haha, i was hoping it was just clever camera work with the zoom in, guy could have been swept away if not, daring guy.
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #35
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphemeralStar View Post
Apparently there was a fking VOLCANO too... Oh Japan.. I'm sure we'll all feel how Japan feels one day... T-T
Link please? I can't find it on CNN or BBC...

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Here. It was a pretty big one, but far from the earthquake in a volcano that has been rather active (in geological terms). No connection is thought other than the Ring of Fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (03-14-2011), Shrike (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #37
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of

I've been trying to find the answer to this on my own, but I've found nothing but YahooAnswers! bullshit. What will happen if the nuclear reactor leaks? Or melts down? It that the same thing? I'm ignorant about this sort of thing.

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
ACt
Heart Wizard

Wikipedia can be your friend for this one.

But here's my base understanding: Nuclear Reactors produce energy through the fission of uranium (usually), which produces a lot of heat energy, radiation and radioactive byproducts. The heat is commonly used to boil water, which turns turbines, which generates power that is pumped to the consuming masses. However, it is so much heat, that if the core is not continually cooled, the whole system will over heat and melt - i.e. a nuclear meltdown. If this is isolated to the reactor core, it'll just wreck it and become a massive lump of radioactive waste. But if it occurs with structural damage, the radiation can escape, irradiating the power plant. Additionally, the heat would create a steam cloud which would carry radioactive material across the land and if things get really bad, as in Chernobyl, radiactive liquids (some molten metals) could seep into the water supply and cause major problems there.

Currently, the Japanese haven't released any information on the structural integrity of the building, noting that the fire/destruction was just of exterior housing structures than to the core, and their efforts of pumping seawater onto the core is to stop a meltdown and save the core so it can be used again. If the internal structure is still solid there is a chance that the worse to happen will be just a burnout of the core with little radiation escape or spread.

Anyone with stronger physics in the crowd? How'd I do?

Last edited by ACt; 03-14-2011 at 12:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (03-14-2011), Mal (03-14-2011), Shrike (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #39
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of

What happens if the radiation does escape? What does it mean for the rest of the world?

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina View Post
What happens if the radiation does escape? What does it mean for the rest of the world?
It depends entirely on the weather at that point as to where the fallout will reach. But when Chernobyl melted down, the fallout was detected over almost all of Europe, at least.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #41
ACt
Heart Wizard

The gamma radiation itself will only have a local effect. The real danger is the radioactive waste and particulate that can be carried in dust or liquid that will continue to produce radiation.

EDIT: Which reminds me, anyone ever see the short documentary "Aftermath: Population Zero." by National Geographic? It is a neat little piece about what would happen to the world if all the humans were wiped out, focusing on long term consequences of our actions. Very interesting when in the first week all safety measures on nuclear power plants fail and they "explode".

Last edited by ACt; 03-14-2011 at 01:02 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (03-14-2011), Kina (03-14-2011), Mal (03-14-2011), Shrike (03-14-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #42
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

I haven't seen that one, just the "Life after People" documentary. It's essentially the same thing. Just shows what might happen if humans were to suddenly vanish.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
ACt (03-14-2011), Kina (03-14-2011), Mal (03-14-2011), Shrike (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #43
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Everyone should watch this, beginning to end without skipping through it. It's ridiculous how slow it build ups, you hardly even notice. It's only 6 minutes long, and if you can't watch that then I worry for you.
First some debris and a van or two. Then as the tsunami gain power, the cars that park got pushes aside, then houses start to crumble and got push by the wave.

That is some serious power to push houses like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
I haven't seen that one, just the "Life after People" documentary. It's essentially the same thing. Just shows what might happen if humans were to suddenly vanish.
I watches some of the episodes too. Cat rules the high places

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

Last edited by kluang; 03-14-2011 at 01:13 PM.
kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #44
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It depends entirely on the weather at that point as to where the fallout will reach. But when Chernobyl melted down, the fallout was detected over almost all of Europe, at least.
Fallout from Chernobyl was nearly world-wide (in the Northern Hemisphere), as seen in this image I have already posted once in this thread:

Quote:
That's the one I saw. I imagine the NatGeo one would be better.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
kael03 (03-14-2011), Shrike (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #45
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Fallout from Chernobyl was nearly world-wide (in the Northern Hemisphere), as seen in this image I have already posted once in this thread:
Which is why I put "at least". I couldn't remember where I saw that map and I didn't want to make an ass of myself without proper evidence.