Narutard chat thread - Page 1005 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #15061
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Narutard chat thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
as i said you should just finish your degree in psych since it will only be 1 more semester and if you swithc to physics you probably wont have majority fo the classes ,it will probably take atleast a year and a half, you claim 2.
You haven't answered the big part of my question. Why would I continue to waste my time on a degree that I'll never use and have little interest in pursuing? Why finish my degree and postpone getting a degree in a subject I've had interest in for the better part of 16 years compared to the subject I've been interested in for about 8? Even if I graduate in December with a degree in Psychology, I'll still have 2 years to go to get a degree in physics. Why would I push that to 2 and a half years so I can finish a degree I really don't care for anymore? That makes no sense.

Quote:
i dont know, why would you spend 12,000 towards a degree that requires 16 and then switch,
It actually happens quite frequently for one reason or another.

Quote:
why are you 25. almost done with college and planning to swithc majors and be 27-28 when you first graduate undergrad
I'll still be 28 when I finish my degree in Physics, finishing my degree in Psychology isn't going to change that.

Quote:
its not psych 101, i said i wouldnt give you my psych 101 take on it, learn to read
I'm actually curious about your "psych 101" analysis of me, now. I need a good laugh. I'm betting it's something along the lines of "I'm scared to enter the workforce so I'm postponing leaving the comforted structure of school after being in it for so long", which is what a friend of mine said to me and is not the case. I want to switch because I have no drive to continue with Psychology, I have no idea what area I want to go to Grad school for. With Physics I know what I want, and that's Astrophysics (studying the phenomena of space or working with other physicists to create more efficient and better modes of space travel to allow us to explore the galaxy and beyond further).
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Mal (03-27-2011)

Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #15062
AniMeFaN
Chuunin

AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
You haven't answered the big part of my question. Why would I continue to waste my time on a degree that I'll never use and have little interest in pursuing? Why finish my degree and postpone getting a degree in a subject I've had interest in for the better part of 16 years compared to the subject I've been interested in for about 8? Even if I graduate in December with a degree in Psychology, I'll still have 2 years to go to get a degree in physics. Why would I push that to 2 and a half years so I can finish a degree I really don't care for anymore? That makes no sense.).

well up until recently you thought you would use it, so how do you know the same thing wont happen when you are part of the way through physics, lose interest the same way. why not just finish what you put all the time and money into since you are only months away. even if you wind up not using it you have it just in case. you can still get your degree in physics if you decide that is the way you want to go but it would only be a few months later that you start down that path, difference is you would have a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
I'm actually curious about your "psych 101" analysis of me, now. I need a good laugh. I'm betting it's something along the lines of "I'm scared to enter the workforce so I'm postponing leaving the comforted structure of school after being in it for so long", which is what a friend of mine said to me and is not the case. I want to switch because I have no drive to continue with Psychology, I have no idea what area I want to go to Grad school for. With Physics I know what I want, and that's Astrophysics (studying the phenomena of space or working with other physicists to create more efficient and better modes of space travel to allow us to explore the galaxy and beyond further).

did you laugh at your friend trying to help you? you sound delusional, whos going to pay you of all people to study the phenomena of space, and work on creating more efficient modes of space travel.
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #15063
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
well up until recently you thought you would use it,
Actually this has been a couple year thing. It's only been growing rapidly recently. When I was first asked what I wanted to specialize in, I really had no clue, and I still don't.

Quote:
so how do you know the same thing wont happen when you are part of the way through physics, lose interest the same way.
Because I've been interested in astrophysics since I was a kid. Psychology is only a relatively recent interest. I'm almost always watching some kind of documentary on space phenomena, never have I sat down and watched a Psychology program (Criminal Minds doesn't count, not that I watch that show).

Quote:
why not just finish what you put all the time and money into since you are only months away.
Because it would be putting myself further into debt with student loans that I could put towards something I'm passionate about. Haven't you been paying attention?

Quote:
even if you wind up not using it you have it just in case.
Which means what when I won't be using it?

Quote:
you can still get your degree in physics if you decide that is the way you want to go but it would only be a few months later that you start down that path, difference is you would have a degree.
A degree I will never that postpones my gaining a degree I would use. Yeah, I can see the logic in that.

Seriously, shut the hell up. You aren't an advisor. You aren't my parents. You aren't in any position to tell me what I should do with my life.

Quote:
did you laugh at your friend trying to help you?
Why would I do that to my friend? She asked why I decided on this change, I gave her my reasons (same ones I've listed here) and she understood where I was coming from.

Quote:
you sound delusional,
Not really. You only say that because you have nothing to counter my arguments for this change.

Quote:
whos going to pay you of all people to study the phenomena of space, and work on creating more efficient modes of space travel.
The government. It's called working for NASA as a final goal with a degree in Physics (I know I'll need to get my Doctorate for that, but I can get that while doing something else with a Masters).
Mal (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #15064
AniMeFaN
Chuunin

im sure nasa is looking to hire you, good luck getting someone to pay you to study space and more efficient ways of travel. you are delusional, you bring nothing to the table that smarter physicist already working dont.

edit: i like how someone trys to help you, gives you their advice but you turn it into a fight.

Last edited by AniMeFaN; 03-27-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #15065
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
im sure nasa is looking to hire you, good luck getting someone to pay you to study space and more efficient ways of travel. you are delusional, you bring nothing to the table that smarter physicist already working dont.
Yes, because NASA is run buy half-a-dozen of extremely specialized physicists and they can't hire anyone else.

You do realize that NASA is run by hundreds of people and, if kael does alright in Physics, he might get a job there? A job low in the scale, as every beginner, but nonetheless a job.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (03-27-2011), Mal (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #15066
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Like Num said, it's not like NASA is an exclusive club looking specifically for Hawking level physicists. You're delusional to think otherwise.

Theoretical Physics is only one aspect of government programs like NASA and SETI.

Quote:
edit: i like how someone trys to help you, gives you their advice but you turn it into a fight.
You aren't giving advice. You're trying to tell me I should stay in a program I have little interest in, which will delay my progress in a program I have vast interest in. That's not advice, that's insanity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Kina (03-28-2011), Mal (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #15067
AniMeFaN
Chuunin

stopping feeding the kid lies, hes 25 year old sernior in college looking to change his major. hes not getting hired by nasa
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #15068
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Because at 25 and wanting to pursue something different automatically disqualifies me from entering any kind of Physics program.

Seriously, shut up.
Mal (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #15069
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

I would be answering the "why finish getting the degree" thing by saying that you'd do it to have a college degree. Doesn't matter in what, really. The point is so you get a piece of paper saying you've got a bachelors degree. That shit looks good on a resume, will usually net you a better starting salary, etc. Tons of people don't get jobs in the field they majored in. And that way you can more easily get a good job that will help pay for any additional schooling you aspire towards doing. Seems like a pretty rational approach to me. Probably what I would do in the scenario being discussed, honestly. Especially if I were to be switching a psychology major to something like astrophysics (Which is cool, I like space a fuckload too. Neato shit.). What's the back-up plan if NASA isn't hiring? Some stuff to think about, there.

But I don't really give a fuck, so whatever.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
AniMeFaN (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #15070
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Mibs, my goal is to enter the teaching field with a Master's, at that would get me in a High School setting, while pursuing my Doctorate. If I can't get into NASA or SETI, I'd do independent work and/or eventually work my way up to teaching at a college level.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #15071
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, that's cool. You'll have to do other shit to get certified to teach, which I'm sure you're aware of. And teaching is a lot different than doing, which again, I'm sure you're aware of. My high school didn't have any astrophysics classes, I dunno how other high schools are like. So I couldn't even guess as to how high demand teachers for that subject would be. And I dunno how many graduates there are with degrees in astrophysics every year compared to job openings for that kind of thing. All stuff I would try to find out before doing anything, personally.

But, like I said, I don't give a fuck and seriously couldn't care less. You wanna do something, then go for it. It's the manly thing to do. I'm always pro-manly. Fuck yeah.

Edit: Er, basically was only posting to say that calling a dude a retard for suggesting that one might want to finish off a bachelors degree in something isn't something I can fully endorse. Considering I'd totally spend a few months getting a bachelors degree in that scenario, and go around saying "Hey, ladies. College grad here. Who wants to pleasure me orally? Yeeeaaahh! " And I'm fucking brilliant. Yeeeaaahh!
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
kael03 (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #15072
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

I know I'll have to be certified to teach, and have some experience with teaching before I can get a full time position. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they do let grad students teach some of the classes at my school. I know they do for Psychology, not sure if the other programs do the same thing.

As for teaching High School, my High School didn't have an Astrophysics course, but they did have basic physics (the teacher would demonstrate different things by throwing erasers or something across the room, sometimes at the students). I wouldn't be against teaching that until I was able to teach at a college level. But the point is there are plenty of careers out there for the different departments of physics.
Mal (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #15073
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
as i said you should just finish your degree in psych since it will only be 1 more semester and if you still want to switch to physics when your done then do so, switching to physics you probably wont have majority fo the classes ,it will probably take atleast a year and a half, you claim 2.

i dont know, why would you spend 12,000 towards a degree that requires 16 and then switch, why are you 25. almost done with college and planning to swithc majors and be 27-28 when you first graduate undergrad

its not psych 101, i said i wouldnt give you my psych 101 take on it, learn to read
"Only one more semester" that will cost him thousands of unnecessary dollars. The only thing you can do with a bachelor's degree in Psychology is continue onto getting your master's or doctorate. It is a logical fallacy to think that because you've mostly completed something, not completing it will be a waste. In reality, the past should not be taken into account, as accumulating additional costs at no gain is not a good idea. Miburo had a reasonable argument that a degree of anything is better than nothing, but you failed miserably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Hey, that's cool. You'll have to do other shit to get certified to teach, which I'm sure you're aware of. And teaching is a lot different than doing, which again, I'm sure you're aware of. My high school didn't have any astrophysics classes, I dunno how other high schools are like. So I couldn't even guess as to how high demand teachers for that subject would be. And I dunno how many graduates there are with degrees in astrophysics every year compared to job openings for that kind of thing. All stuff I would try to find out before doing anything, personally.

But, like I said, I don't give a fuck and seriously couldn't care less. You wanna do something, then go for it. It's the manly thing to do. I'm always pro-manly. Fuck yeah.

Edit: Er, basically was only posting to say that calling a dude a retard for suggesting that one might want to finish off a bachelors degree in something isn't something I can fully endorse. Considering I'd totally spend a few months getting a bachelors degree in that scenario, and go around saying "Hey, ladies. College grad here. Who wants to pleasure me orally? Yeeeaaahh! " And I'm fucking brilliant. Yeeeaaahh!
Everyone and their dog has a degree of some kind these days, having one completely unrelated to a certain job will be of no benefit.

This discussion is now getting into my entire philosophy on life:

The idea that you should determine your schooling based on job availability and potential earnings is ridiculous. What do you gain from this? More money? What does that really matter?

Society is far too focused on money. Your entire life is spent training to one day make as much money as you can. You spend 12 or 13 years learning enough shit to earn the right to pay to learn more shit to get a piece of paper that will impress people to the point that they're willing to give you money. Obviously, there are highly specialized jobs that require substantial education, but the idea that you should only study what will make you money is stupid.

Why is more money better? What does it really get you? What's wrong with studying what interests you, regardless of it's real-world application or how much money it will potentially make you?

This is why I have massive respect for RNB. He's a sharp guy who could likely excel in whatever he decided to do, but he doesn't care. It doesn't seem to matter to him how much money he could make; as long as he'll make enough to get by, he'll study whatever he damn well pleases.

All you need is enough money to pay your bills, maybe go on vacation every once in a while, and save for your retirement. Life is what you make of it, with or without money.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
kael03 (03-27-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (03-28-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #15074
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Because I've been interested in astrophysics since I was a kid. Psychology is only a relatively recent interest. I'm almost always watching some kind of documentary on space phenomena, never have I sat down and watched a Psychology program (Criminal Minds doesn't count, not that I watch that show).
I watch CSI. Is that count as psycho?

But either way its kael's call. I like space too. If you want to be a rocket scientist, then go for it.

Its your life. No one should decide it for you.

You can ask for advice, but you must make the decision.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #15075
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanks Mal. I agree with your post 100%. I'm of the mind set that as long as I love what I do, money comes second. All I want out of a career is to enjoy it to the fullest and earn enough to live comfortably with a family. I'm not looking for a fancy car or a mansion or any of that rich bullshit, I just want to get out of debt and stay out of it while living comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluang View Post
I watch CSI. Is that count as psycho?
No, that's forensics. Sometimes the Forensics team will come up with a theory of what happened in a crime based on the evidence they collect from the crime scene. But generally speaking psychology is not applied. The forensics team might include how a crime happened in their report, but they will never say why it happened (I actually had to play the role of a forensics team member in a mock trial for my intro to criminology class based on an actual murder my teacher investigated when he was a criminologist).

Quote:
But either way its kael's call. I like space too. If you want to be a rocket scientist, then go for it.

Its your life. No one should decide it for you.

You can ask for advice, but you must make the decision.
Thing is, I never asked for his "advice". I answered s_d's question about the switch in majors (which I haven't made official yet in school) and answered some question from nlb (can't remember off hand). Animefan came in and asked how long I had left, I answered and he decided to throw in his speech about finishing because I'm so close. Even though logically I'll still have longer to go with Psychology and it's a waste of money now. The money I've spent already towards my degree isn't being wasted, as the Gen Eds I've taken apply to physics as well, as it's a part of the same school.

Last edited by kael03; 03-27-2011 at 11:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
kluang (03-28-2011), Mal (03-27-2011)