The Sony debacle. - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point
The Sony debacle.

So why are all my rabid xbox fanboy friends laughing hardily in my face?

Because sony got their shit jacked. If you haven't noticed the week+ long outage of the ps network. Its because sony systems were maliciously cracked, and every user had all of their personal information stolen. Possibly including credit card info.

Normally I would not blame sony much. Anyone could get hacked. The big uprising now is why did sony wait so long to tell its costumers wtf happened. I like to be informed, and it kind of angers me to think that someone could of had all my personal information along with credit card particulars. With out a warning. Sony knew what happened early on in this fiasco, now they are playing like its all a sudden revelation.

Sony losing my shit I could easily forgive, them not telling me that they lost my shit... Thats another issue. If you have a credit card tied to you PSN account, you should monitor it closely for any suspicious activity.

Original article
Update
edit: They seem to have removed all of what they originally stated.

Last edited by Axiom; 04-27-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (04-27-2011), Mal (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011), Sensei-Q (04-28-2011)

Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Sony debacle.

Anonymous, who has been ransacking PSN with DDOS attacks for the past month, is supposedly denying any involvement in this hack. I, for one, don't believe a single word those 12 yr old assholes say since this latest attack accomplished their goals of fucking over Sony's PSN service.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (04-27-2011), Axiom (04-27-2011), Mal (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't bother me much. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't realize personal info was possibly compromised. DDoS attacks usually just overload servers, I thought. So I guess that would make sense. I dunno much about that shit though.

And I wouldn't do anything differently even if I had known. It's not like I'm completely oblivious to what is going on in my checking account or anything.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Axiom (04-27-2011), Mal (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,856 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice

There was a stupid rumor going around that that guy who first jailbroke the ipod had hacked PSN. My friend said that everything on PSN was free for 20 minutes or something like that which I find hysterical if it was true. I don't think it's true that guy hacked it though, but, it could be true.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalostboy95 View Post
There was a stupid rumor going around that that guy who first jailbroke the ipod had hacked PSN. My friend said that everything on PSN was free for 20 minutes or something like that which I find hysterical if it was true. I don't think it's true that guy hacked it though, but, it could be true.
Don't believe everything you hear. What happened was a bunch of information that should've been stored in a more secure part of Sony's PSN servers was compromised. They don't know how much was stolen, but they know everything including names/emails/birthdays/account names and passwords were compromised. Sony's PSN security teams aren't sure if credit card info was compromised in this attack.

I'm not convinced by Anonymous' declaration that they had nothing to do with this attack. It's too much of a coincidence that this happened just as they were attacking the PSN servers in an effort to bring the PSN down.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (04-27-2011), Axiom (04-27-2011), Mal (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011), ninjalostboy95 (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Rumor is that Sony save those files in a 128 hex-idontknowwhatitscalled-encryption- the same encryption that banks use, so yes they could get some credit card info but still not all of it.

Still I haven't connected or used my PS3 in like a month and I don't have cred info there so I'm not that angry, sucks for those who have that.

But Sony come on protect your shit. I can't imagine if this happened to Steam, last time someone hacked into Steam was for the Half Life 2 leak in 2006 I think.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (04-27-2011), Axiom (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Rumor is that Sony save those files in a 128 hex-idontknowwhatitscalled-encryption- the same encryption that banks use, so yes they could get some credit card info but still not all of it.
Not saying they couldn't, just Sony isn't sure that people's credit card information was compromised or if they cut off the attack before it got that far.

Quote:
Still I haven't connected or used my PS3 in like a month and I don't have cred info there so I'm not that angry, sucks for those who have that.
I've mostly downloaded updates for my PS3 and games, I made 1 purchase years ago for Force Unleashed 1 and that card (as well as the account it was tied to) has been cancelled. I'm not even with the same bank now.

Quote:
But Sony come on protect your shit. I can't imagine if this happened to Steam, last time someone hacked into Steam was for the Half Life 2 leak in 2006 I think.
Steam was hacked for Portal 2 and someone already exposed the storyline a few hours before it was launched.
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Miburo (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Anonymous, who has been ransacking PSN with DDOS attacks for the past month, is supposedly denying any involvement in this hack. I, for one, don't believe a single word those 12 yr old assholes say since this latest attack accomplished their goals of fucking over Sony's PSN service.
Quote:
I'm not convinced by Anonymous' declaration that they had nothing to do with this attack. It's too much of a coincidence that this happened just as they were attacking the PSN servers in an effort to bring the PSN down.
Right, supposedly anon announced that they would not take actions that harm consumers. Which is odd in itself I think, because short of a denial of service hit-that being the least provocative option-would be required to make something of Sony stature take serious notice. So I dont understand how they intended to flirt with that, their conceived moral line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Doesn't bother me much. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't realize personal info was possibly compromised. DDoS attacks usually just overload servers, I thought. So I guess that would make sense. I dunno much about that shit though.

And I wouldn't do anything differently even if I had known. It's not like I'm completely oblivious to what is going on in my checking account or anything.
Well I dont check statements and monitor expenditures on a daily basis. The consolidation of finances revolves around pay periods, so we balance the budget monthly.

The ten days of silence was more then enough to max out a few thousand credit lines. More then likely yeah you're right. I and most people are probably all square. Thats not the only issue. Sony waited to even acknowledge the problem. Then blamed it on network hardware. Eventually a week or so later said, Oh it was an attack, and every ones personal information has been compromised. We'll get back to you.

Its not like Im going to throw my playstation out an airlock or something. Sony is a victim in this as well I realize that, but it clearly seems like they knew before they later claimed to know(and then redacted). As a consumer who pays into their services. I simply feel as if a courtesy memo is not to much to ask for.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a "secured" card with $0 liability, so I'm not worried. It only has a $300 limit anyway. Still a dick move on Sony's part, though.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Axiom (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Steam was hacked for Portal 2 and someone already exposed the storyline a few hours before it was launched.
Difference is, Portal 2 was preloaded a week before release, so I was thinking about that, someone was bound to hack it. Half Life 2 incident the hacker got into their system, searched their database for a build of the game and downloaded it from their computers.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
Mal (04-27-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Well I dont check statements and monitor expenditures on a daily basis. The consolidation of finances revolves around pay periods, so we balance the budget monthly.

The ten days of silence was more then enough to max out a few thousand credit lines. More then likely yeah you're right. I and most people are probably all square. Thats not the only issue. Sony waited to even acknowledge the problem. Then blamed it on network hardware. Eventually a week or so later said, Oh it was an attack, and every ones personal information has been compromised. We'll get back to you.

Its not like Im going to throw my playstation out an airlock or something. Sony is a victim in this as well I realize that, but it clearly seems like they knew before they later claimed to know(and then redacted). As a consumer who pays into their services. I simply feel as if a courtesy memo is not to much to ask for.
Okay. Sure, yeah, not much to ask for I suppose. I wasn't being argumentative or anything with my post.

Just saying eh, not something I'm even slightly upset about. I can totally see them not being sure what exactly was going on in the beginning there. And I can totally see why they would withhold some info. You figure, from a company standpoint, saying you were hacked or attacked would be bad for business and might cause unnecessary worry for your consumers. So if you can verify that no info was obtained and fix it quick without making people worry and shit, that would probably be the smart thing to do. Didn't work out that way for them, it seems. So they admitted that there was an attack and a possibility that personal info was obtained.

So yeah, they could have possibly been more forthcoming with info in the beginning there. But I can see why they wouldn't. A courtesy memo isn't much to ask for, but it's not something that I'm going to get upset about not getting right away either. Had I known a few days earlier I'd have done the same thing I did when I found out about it a few days later: Nothing.

Only thing I'm slightly upset about is not being able to stream some netflix to my TV, and not being able to play some co-op with my bro.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Mal (04-28-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,472 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Half-Life 2 hack was before Steam. It was stolen from Valve's internal network in 2003.

This whole PSN thing is pretty lulzy. Dunno what's funnier, PSN customers defending their shitty service, or Xbots crowing that their paid-for shitty service is any better.

Let's face it, until we get PC quality multiplayer with dedicated servers on a console, we're all being assraped.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
-SassyLady- (04-29-2011), EphemeralStar (05-05-2011), kael03 (04-27-2011), Mal (04-28-2011), Miburo (04-27-2011), Nerox (04-27-2011), Tzu Men (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Why does this anoymous wants to hack PSN in the first place? Did microsoft pay them to do so?

Or this is something to do with Geohot

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluang View Post
Why does this anoymous wants to hack PSN in the first place? Did microsoft pay them to do so?

Or this is something to do with Geohot
The DDoS attacks by Anonymous against the PSN servers are in direct response to the geohot suit and Sony's gaining access to the IP's of everyone that was on geohot's blog. But Anonymous is denying responsibility for the current outage due to the userbase mainframe being compromised.

For those that don't know, Anonymous is a group of hackers that specialize in distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. DDoS attacks are, like mibs said, rapid pings against the target servers to overload the processors and cause them to shut down. The membership is unknown because, as the group name states, the hackers work without their tags. If a hacker is compromised they are removed from the group.

One of the most famous attacks by Anonymous was actually against the former Egyptian government during the protests. They used DDoS to knock down the Egyptian government websites.

Last edited by kael03; 04-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #15
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

I dont think its anoymous. They like taking the fame of the thing they do.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote