Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighters - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about
Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighters

LONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.
Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.
He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.
Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.

At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.
Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.
Pun was given his medal in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London on Wednesday.

The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross -- the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy.
"There wasn't any choice but to fight. The Taliban were all around the checkpoint. I was alone," he said.
"I had so many of them around me that I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could before they killed me.
"After that I thought nobody can kill us now -- when we met the enemy I wasn't scared."
Britain's Major General Nicholas Carter, who was commander of allied forces in southern Afghanistan during Pun's deployment, praised his efforts.
"The CGC does not get handed out lightly. It was a most remarkable achievement," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110602...stannepalaward

Thats 1 badass soldier. His K/D ratio is gonna be through the roof
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blake For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-03-2011)

Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Re: Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighter

That guy is a gurkha. what do you expect? They repel the mongols, and anything invading their land even the british empire cant knock them down. So they gave them Nepal and hired them as mercenaries.

there is a famous quote about the gurkhas

If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha

And they worship the goddess of war

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

Last edited by kluang; 06-03-2011 at 02:58 PM.
kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-03-2011), Jaxon (06-03-2011), Lightning (06-06-2011), Miburo (06-03-2011), Sensei-Q (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about
Re: Nepalese soldier in the British army single-handedly took down 30 taliban fighter

Only second best medal? He's gotta pick up the slack.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
Only second best medal? He's gotta pick up the slack.
yea that is kinda not fair. How many people does he have to off before he gets the victoria cross. But on a side note, if I were him; after I was done with the taliban Id go find the stupid afghan military who ran away and left me there all alone and continue to beat some ass
Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Fun story, while hiking through the Annapurnas in Nepal, my wife's travel group was halted by communist soldiers, brandishing automatic rifles, who strongly recommended that everyone make a "voluntary" donation to the communist party. She promptly looked them dead in the eye and negotiated a student discount of 60%.

They ain't so tough...
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down

Last edited by ACt; 06-03-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: forgot my geography for a moment... that's right, it's MY geography
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-03-2011), Demi-God (06-03-2011), kael03 (06-03-2011), Miburo (06-03-2011), Nerox (06-04-2011), Numinous (06-03-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (06-03-2011), Tzu Men (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
Fun story,while hiking through the Pyrenees in Nepal, my wife's travel group was halted by communist soldiers, brandishing automatic rifles, who strongly recommended that everyone make a "voluntary" donation to the communist party. She promptly looked them dead in the eye and negotiated a student discount of 60%.

They ain't so tough...
I see what you did there.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Sensei-Q (06-03-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
I see what you did there.
Made a stupid error. It was a long lab day. I hope you understand, smug european.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-03-2011), Nerox (06-04-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
BoyThisIsAwkward
Chuunin

BoyThisIsAwkward is on a distinguished roadBoyThisIsAwkward is on a distinguished road

Pshhh this guy did 30 straight kills. Where is the nuke?

Last edited by BoyThisIsAwkward; 06-03-2011 at 08:18 PM.
BoyThisIsAwkward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Dude must be scarred mentally having survived that. /Salute

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,697 Times in 854 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

Gurkha's are indisputably badass.

My grandfather served as a major for a group of Gurkhas in the 1950s, they taught troops jungle warfare to try and stop Malaysian independence, all very British Empire - what ho gooks and all that.
Anyway the gave my grandfather two Gurkha swords. We still have them, the batshit quality of them isn't just their size, it's that soldiers never wield them without drawing blood. They actually have pins next to the handle so that before entering battle Gurkha's can slice open their own thumbs to put fresh blood on the blade.

Last edited by Tzu Men; 06-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tzu Men For This Useful Post:
ACt (06-04-2011), kluang (06-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
blake
Hunter-Nin

but also the taliban are retarded. Even if its one man, being out in the open while rushing an outpost is just dumb. They shouldve realized that after the first 15 or so people were killed; this dude isnt going down easy
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Neat, a chair soldier. ^

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #13
Numinous

Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Made a stupid error. It was a long lab day. I hope you understand, smug european.
o.O

I said that because I thought it was part of the joke, not to point out some mistake. Sorry if my post lead to such misunderstanding.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
ACt
Heart Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
o.O

I said that because I thought it was part of the joke, not to point out some mistake. Sorry if my post lead to such misunderstanding.
No worries. I would rather be correct (because it is a true story) and you are probably one of the few who would catch that anyway. I'm usually quite good at geography. I think the "p" in the names messed me up.

I would like to see the Pyrenees on day, though... they any good?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Numinous

Quote:
I would like to see the Pyrenees on day, though... they any good?
They're ok as mountain ranges go, but if you are to travel to Europe for some mountain hiking, I'd recommend the Alps. More sightseeing, more well-organized entertainment sites and, of course, swiss chocolates.